Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non-browser BBO I want the client BBO back =(

#1 User is offline   lcy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-02, 22:14

Recently, some of us have lost access to the client BBO, as it has become "obsolete".

I'm still not used to using the browser version of BBO, and I'm not sure if I can ever get used to it. The client BBO is just so much better (other than not being able to play Vugraph matches and bridge bingo).

How I wish I can have the old BBO back... =(

Anyone else share the same sentiments?

#2 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-02, 22:51

lcy, on 2012-June-02, 22:14, said:

Recently, some of us have lost access to the client BBO, as it has become "obsolete".

I'm still not used to using the browser version of BBO, and I'm not sure if I can ever get used to it. The client BBO is just so much better (other than not being able to play Vugraph matches and bridge bingo).

How I wish I can have the old BBO back... =(

Anyone else share the same sentiments?

Yes, I for one totally agree with you, I've tried to get used to the browser version and I detest it. The old client is just so much better, it works reliably with FD (some of us invested a lot of time in writing FD cards!) and it lets you keep your hands (I mean as .lin files on your hard drive). If BBO is intending to force us all on to the browser client, I think that's very bad news indeed.

#3 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-June-03, 04:28

The old client runs on Windows so it is useless for me.

#4 User is offline   cantseewhy 

• Pip

Posted 2012-June-03, 07:22

The browser version is unwieldy and lags a lot. Also, you can't sign up for tournaments more than 120+ minutes before it starts!

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-June-03, 08:31

If you somehow deleted netbridgevu (the windows client to access bbo), you can download and install it again from www.bridgebase.com

From the main bridgebase.com webpage, where you click on the link to "play bridge now", look down about three lines, where you will see this....

Looking for our older downloadable Windows program? Click here.

on that page, then click the "click here" thing in blue (or you can just click the "click here" link above. I recommend that you go to the www.bridgebase.com webpage and click their link rather than trusting that random people on the internet give you an honest link to download software to your computer).
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-03, 12:26

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-June-03, 04:28, said:

The old client runs on Windows so it is useless for me.

Not running Linux, are you? The old client runs just fine with Linux and WINE provided you know to do a couple of simple tweaks to a configuration file.

Brian.

#7 User is offline   Simpleboi 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-June-03, 20:13

The Windows Client BBO is only disabled for Singapore currently, so only those from Singapore will not be able to use the Windows version.

#8 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-03, 21:05

brian_m, on 2012-June-03, 12:26, said:

Not running Linux, are you? The old client runs just fine with Linux and WINE provided you know to do a couple of simple tweaks to a configuration file.

Brian.

I tried before but the suit symbols didn't display correctly.

#9 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-03, 23:55

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-June-03, 21:05, said:

I tried before but the suit symbols didn't display correctly.

Yes, I remember that happening. You need to install symbol.ttf, the client depends on that font for the suit symbols. Once you do that, and make a couple of tweaks to bbover.ini, everything will work just fine. I've been running the Windows client under Linux for more than five years now.

#10 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-June-04, 18:53

brian_m, on 2012-June-02, 22:51, said:

Yes, I for one totally agree with you, I've tried to get used to the browser version and I detest it. The old client is just so much better, it works reliably with FD (some of us invested a lot of time in writing FD cards!) and it lets you keep your hands (I mean as .lin files on your hard drive). If BBO is intending to force us all on to the browser client, I think that's very bad news indeed.

The new client works fine with FD cards once you get it set up with a partner, but uploading and managing them is just so annoying. Wish they'd fix it.

#11 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-05, 00:05

Cthulhu D, on 2012-June-04, 18:53, said:

The new client works fine with FD cards once you get it set up with a partner, but uploading and managing them is just so annoying. Wish they'd fix it.

It has more problems than that, at least for some users.

If you play a system where some of your bids vary with seat and vulnerability, then FD will work correctly with the downloadable client, but not with the browser version, which will give the other explanation. This bug has been known for some years (I reported it to Fred W-A-Y back when). If you look in the forum related to FD, you will find a thread that I started which gives full details. From memory, I think it's the vulnerability dependence which causes the problem. If BBO have fixed this problem, I've not heard about it - Fred told me that he didn't think it affected enough people to justify the time needed to fix it.

#12 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-07, 02:48

I installed wine and got the Windows client running, but it is very slow playing cards. It stops responding even when watching vugraphs.

The most thing that I dislike the Windows client is the inability to display E-W cards vertically, thus taking a LOT of my 1280*1024 screen, covering N-S cards.

#13 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-07, 03:20

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-June-07, 02:48, said:

I installed wine and got the Windows client running, but it is very slow playing cards. It stops responding even when watching vugraphs.

The most thing that I dislike the Windows client is the inability to display E-W cards vertically, thus taking a LOT of my 1280*1024 screen, covering N-S cards.

It has to be something to do with your choice of options. I'm also running the Windows client on a 1280*1024 desktop, and while you're right about the lack of an option to display E-W cards vertically, I have absolutely no problem with E-W cards covering N-S cards, I've never seen that happen. I've also not seen the client stop responding unless it's my crappy satellite connection that's responsible (i.e. no other internet app works at that point either!).

I would suggest you check into your options. Certainly turn off all animation. The Windows client DOES run satisfactorily here under Linux (Debian SID 64-bit, Wine 1.2.3). If you have a very early version of WINE for some reason then that may be part of the problem, but I'm sure I've run the client without problems on WINE < 1.0

#14 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-09, 22:11

brian_m, on 2012-June-07, 03:20, said:

It has to be something to do with your choice of options. I'm also running the Windows client on a 1280*1024 desktop, and while you're right about the lack of an option to display E-W cards vertically, I have absolutely no problem with E-W cards covering N-S cards, I've never seen that happen. I've also not seen the client stop responding unless it's my crappy satellite connection that's responsible (i.e. no other internet app works at that point either!).

I would suggest you check into your options. Certainly turn off all animation. The Windows client DOES run satisfactorily here under Linux (Debian SID 64-bit, Wine 1.2.3). If you have a very early version of WINE for some reason then that may be part of the problem, but I'm sure I've run the client without problems on WINE < 1.0

I'm now currently running Debian Wheezy 64-bit, but I get a white area in the window when I click the "Help me find a game!" button.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-09, 22:23

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-June-09, 22:11, said:

I'm now currently running Debian Wheezy 64-bit, but I get a white area in the window when I click the "Help me find a game!" button.

That's supposed to open a browser window (e.g. Firefox). Sounds like you haven't put the proper code in bbover.ini to make it use an external browser.

#16 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-10, 00:00

mikl_plkcc, on 2012-June-09, 22:11, said:

Make sure your bbover.ini contains the following lines

[SYSTEM]
LINUX_WINE=Y
BROWSER_TYPE=E

#17 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-10, 20:48

brian_m, on 2012-June-10, 00:00, said:

Make sure your bbover.ini contains the following lines

[SYSTEM]
LINUX_WINE=Y
BROWSER_TYPE=E

Thanks, I've put it in the file and now it pop up a Konqueror window and works.

#18 User is offline   psyck 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Reading, Music, Travelling, Movies.

Posted 2012-July-05, 08:44

I had the same problem of my client becoming obsolete; re-downloading & re-installing as suggested by Inquiry's post worked.
Cheers, Krishna.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users