BBO Discussion Forums: What should double mean? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What should double mean?

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-June-24, 10:26

Our general system was Acol (4 card majors, 12-14 1NT).

What should double be here, and should I pass, double or bid something?

The full hand for all the gory details:

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-24, 11:32

You have to pass, your hand dropped to 4 hcp with xxx fit.

We debated a similar auction with Justin in a thread, with that many honors u have to pass now. Change your AQ tp somewhere else and you could (i would) double. Because then your xxx would be a great match vs your pd's stiff all hcps are working etc..Basically when you DBL with this you are not really happy if pd pulls, but if you had your AQ somewhere else (make em )you are happy if he passes (you have a perfectly defensive hand) and you are happy if he pulls as well (all hcps you provide ise useful for him, he wont be disappointed)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-24, 12:24

Intuitively pass is terrible and 4S is obvious. I am prepared to learn something but I would be truly shocked if you can find one passer among top players.

your hand dropped to 4 hcp with xxx fit.

xxx is actually pretty good, it means all the trumps honors lay favorable for us and we have entries to take the finesses.

EDIT: Ok I can't read afterall, didn't notice the part about 4cM. I feel it's still 4S as partner rarely has only 4S with what presumably is heart shortness but I take back the obvious part.

#4 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-24, 13:15

I would pass even opposite a 5cM. This looks like a square limit raise with bad trumps; I'll take the sure plus in hundreds thanks. And if partner can reopen with a double, so much the better.

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-June-24, 16:03

I think pass is called for. You didn't mention your negartvie double agreements, but if played through say 5 then partner just might reopen wiht a double and you'll be delighted to pass again. You have too much stuff in their suit, no distribution for short hand ruffs, and 3 small in partner's suit to boot.

To your question I play that a Double here is penalty with some partners, negative with some, and cards with others. I always talk about preferences here in case this stuff comes up. I prefer negative/cards as discussed by Marty Bergen.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#6 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-June-24, 16:25

View PostSteveMoe, on 2012-June-24, 16:03, said:

I think pass is called for. You didn't mention your negartvie double agreements, but if played through say 5 then partner just might reopen wiht a double and you'll be delighted to pass again. You have too much stuff in their suit, no distribution for short hand ruffs, and 3 small in partner's suit to boot.

To your question I play that a Double here is penalty with some partners, negative with some, and cards with others. I always talk about preferences here in case this stuff comes up. I prefer negative/cards as discussed by Marty Bergen.

We had no agreements about negative doubles - we hadn't played for over a month, and we didn't have an old card to refresh our memories, so we'd quickly filled one in before the session. Unfortunately we hadn't discussed how high to play negative doubles.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users