• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Low HCP slam

#1 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-25, 20:37

Saw a pretty good 29 point grand in bidding practice today. How would you bid this one?

Here's our auction - as you can see we have a tough time dealing with maximum passed hands without support because we play 2 drury.

Interested in any auction, but prefer ones beginning with Pass by North and a natural 1 by South.

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-25, 20:46

1c=1s
1nt(11-13)=3s(single suit slam try)(stronger than 2d)
4d?=4nt
5h=6c (Kc grand try)
7c=7s or 7nt?

#3 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 20:48

lmilne, on 2012-June-25, 20:37, said:

Interested in any auction, but prefer ones beginning with Pass by North

Not what you are looking for I realise (sorry), but in my view passing the North hand is beyond conservative/style thing and is just bad.

Anyway I am sure some of the regular forum double dummy bidders will have no trouble reaching the best spot seeing both hands.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 20:52

Saw a pretty good 29 point grand in bidding practice today. How would you bid this one?

Here's our auction - as you can see we have a tough time dealing with maximum passed hands without support because we play 2 drury.

Interested in any auction, but prefer ones beginning with Pass by North and a natural 1 by South.

Hitting chronic underbidding here- South's hand is worth much more than 18 HCP with long spades and North's hand is instant massive improved above 11HCP with South's spade opening.

#5 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 21:27

655321, on 2012-June-25, 20:48, said:

Not what you are looking for I realise (sorry), but in my view passing the North hand is beyond conservative/style thing and is just bad.

Anyway I am sure some of the regular forum double dummy bidders will have no trouble reaching the best spot seeing both hands.

Sure. I'm happy to hear comments like this, I just wasn't interested in people opening the North hand because it makes auctions to slam easier. My partner and I are practicing for a world championship and thought passing was conservative but reasonable, so any criticism that opens our eyes a little bit is most welcome.

And I understand the point about double dummy bidders, and fully expect to see several relay auctions to grand.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-June-25, 22:09

dont know gazille(sp)

should north bid 4d over 3h here as a cuebid for spades?

I will go out on a limb and guess this would show close to the auction as mine above or can south have a pretty ratty 16 and poor spades here?

in any event it seems north as a passed hand needs to be able to show a bad 8 from a good 12 or 13 as a passed hand.

Otherwise this just seems to be a typical system problem when both pards have a max and cant show it.

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 23:32

3NT looks like a dreadful underbid, with 10 points that are known to be working and a side 5 card suit.

I would expect North to drive to slam over 3H, probably continuing with 3S-4C-4D. The 4D bid is what shows real slam interest, so South cooperates with 4H. Even if North signs off now, South can simply ask for key cards and bid 6S.

To get to seven you need to have a way to show clubs after the 1S opening, but that's a separate issue. A moderate to large one IMO, but beside the point.

#8 User is offline   Furlan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 00:18

1 - 1
2 - 2NT1
32 - 43
43 - 4NT4
55 - 56
57 - 7/7NT

1 GF with club support
2 spade shortness
3 cue
4 RKCB
5 1
6 Q?
7 Yes and K
Partner, I don't play tempo signals...
43 44 43 24

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-June-26, 00:24

Furlan, on 2012-June-26, 00:18, said:

1 - 1
2 - 2NT1
32 - 43
43 - 4NT4
55 - 56
57 - 7/7NT

1 GF with club support
2 spade shortness
3 cue
4 RKCB
5 1
6 Q?
7 Yes and K

seems wierd auction....north rebids lousy 5 card club suit...and then shows short spades with stiff K in pards suit?

#10 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 01:02

I'm sure you opened with worse than that North hand playing with me. Anyway I think it's borderline and pass is ok. It's difficult to comment about the rest of the auction without knowing the methods but I think responder should prefer to play in spades rather than NT, i.e. bid 3 over 3 to set trumps. Not so much to facilitate slam investigation but mainly just to be in the best game. After that you can probably cue bid to 6 but I wouldn't get any higher. Every card is working and it's still only around 70%, plus they might stop in game at the other table.

#11 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-June-26, 01:12

nigel_k, on 2012-June-26, 01:02, said:

I'm sure you opened with worse than that North hand playing with me. Anyway I think it's borderline and pass is ok. It's difficult to comment about the rest of the auction without knowing the methods but I think responder should prefer to play in spades rather than NT, i.e. bid 3 over 3 to set trumps. Not so much to facilitate slam investigation but mainly just to be in the best game. After that you can probably cue bid to 6 but I wouldn't get any higher. Every card is working and it's still only around 70%, plus they might stop in game at the other table.

is 3s over 3h game force?

if so then it seems 4d is better, basically my auction

north is a passed hand how can he have a better hand except "one"

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 01:34

nigel_k, on 2012-June-26, 01:02, said:

Every card is working and it's still only around 70%.

I think 7 is approaching 85%. Without doing anything fancy, we need only trumps coming in (84% + 1/5 x 15%) and clubs not 5-0 (96%), which gives 83.5%.

There are two small extra chances: a trump coup when RHO has 10xxxx and three clubs, and a squeeze when he has J9xxx and four hearts. Both of these mean that LHO has rather a lot of diamonds, though, so they're probably ruled out by the bidding.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-June-26, 01:39

Perhaps the answer is to play pass-1;2 as a maximum passed-hand without a fit?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2012-June-26, 02:06

North should set spades. You can bet that the K is a huge filler, and when the spades are not solid you would most likely prefer to be in 4 too in case opener has nothing in diamonds.

I also 100% agree about opening North's hand. You don't really know the value of the K as it could be very good or very bad, but all in all it's a 12 count. What makes it even worse is the vulnerability! You certainly don't want to give the 3rd hand favourable opponent a free chance of chucking in an onion.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#15 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 02:40

655321, on 2012-June-25, 20:48, said:

I would open the North hand myself (just), but this view is sheer nonsense.
Whatever your convictions are, I am sure that even at world championship level a sizable minority would not open this hand.

Pass - 1
1NT1 - 3
42 -- 43
54 -- 55
56 -- 7 / 7NT

1 semi-forcing
2 Minorwood (The North hand got huge, Minorwood is a most useful convention in my opinion)
3 one or four key-cards
4 grand slam try, all key-cards present
5 hoping partner can show the spade king
6 Bingo

Rainer Herrmann

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-June-26, 03:40

gnasher, on 2012-June-26, 01:39, said:

Perhaps the answer is to play pass-1;2 as a maximum passed-hand without a fit?

why?

it seems just bid natural as passed hand

why have 2d mean nothing but max and no fit? you show nothing

if 2d shows d ok but you dont say that

anyway i give my auction

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-June-26, 04:28

Pass by N is so bad playing standard methods, it's impossible to build a sensible auction after it.

We'd bid: (Acol auction so the club shows 4)

1-1
2-2(art relay)
2-2
2N-4(kickback )
4(1/4)-4(Q?)
4N(yes + K)- now you're bidding a grand, just a question of which, you know partner has at least K, xxxx, Ax, Qxxxx plus a card in clubs, diamonds or spades and if both blacks run you have 13.

If dealer happened to be south.

1-2
2N(GF not always balanced)-3(shows a 5th one, says nothing else)
3-3N
4(kickback , if held would have bid 3 over 3) and as above

alternatively in the second auction could bid 4 rather than 3N, in which case Blackwood then showing K will get to the grand. Note that a real passed hand (Kx, xxx, Axx, QJ10xx) is sufficient for an excellent grand.

#18 User is offline   yin970902 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 04:51

IMO,as you play 2 drury.maybe as this:
Pass - 1
1NT - 3
4-- 4
5 -- 5
5-- 7 / 7NT
When south bids 3,north has a very good hands.So a slam try is happyness.
Cuebid 5,then 5, to make a grand slam try.
South enjoys the invitation.
上善若水,厚德载物
Believe, insist on, Thanksgiving

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-June-27, 03:07

Sorry, I cannot offer you a relay auction to the grand. Like Mr Yeti I find it hard to construct a reasonable auction in my methods where North passes, if for no other reason than Sotuh has to rule out North holding the K. So if North passes I would only reach 6 and even that is somewhat pushy:-

P - 1 = 15+ nat/bal or 18+ any
1NT = hearts and clubs or hearts only, GF
... - 2 = relay
2 = 4 hearts, 5+ clubs
... - 2 = relay
2NT = 5 clubs
... - 3 = relay
3 = 1435
... - 3 = relay
4 = 3 controls
... - 4NT = Q ask
5 = Q, no Q
... - 6 (partner cannot hold A, a red king, Q and K)

I think it is much better to open the North hand, even when you have to open it a Precision-style 2. That probably makes the auction about as difficult as it can be but it is still possible...

2 = 10-14, 6+ clubs or 5 clubs and 4M
... - 2 = 4+ spades
2 = 0-2 spades
... - 4 = 3+ clubs, SI
4 = decline slam try
... - 4 = RKCB
4 = 1 key card
.. - 4NT = Q?
5 = yes, and K but no K
... - 5 = K?
5NT = yes
... - 7NT

As for a natural auction, South has a strong 2 hand. If you have a way of showing this hand type in the system then it should be fairly easy to reach at least 6 of something. If you do not then you are accepting that some hands are not going to reach their full potential. Presumably there are other parts of the system that make up for this; that is generally the case since strong 2s are comparatively rare.

One system point here, I thought it was normal for the strong 63 hand to go via a 2 bid over Responder's 2. That would allow Responder to show their clubs along the way which would probably be enough opposite this South hand. Perhaps you might consider a direct 3 as a GF 5-5 hand allowing you to go slower with this one. The auction-start
P - 1
1NT - 2
2 - 2
seems pretty good to me and I have little doubt that most teams in the running for a world chamiponship would reach a grand slam from this point.
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-27, 08:53

I am just going to pretend south is dealer since there is no way I think passing is reasonable.

1S 1N
3C 4D
4H 4N
5C 5H
5S 6S
7S

is a possible auction using natural methods with light openers (so no 2C 2/1...just going with the south being the dealer thing :P) and kickback (4D RKC, 4H 1/4, 4N confiming all keycards, 5C no kings, 5H showing HK denying DK, 5S showing the SQ, 6S presumably showing the SK, 7S). North showed the HK, SK, DA, CQ and presumably 5 clubs for keycarding over a 3C jump shift in standard methods. Admittedly north bid quite carefully, but I think that is a reasonable thing to do given the suspect nature of 3C, he is aware that 7S might be superior to 7C so I think bidding carefully would be indicated. His partner might also just have a 7N bid sometimes (add the CJ), and winning 2 free imps is worth not being lazy.

That said if north bid less carefully/lazily he would get to 7C which is not all that bad.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users