Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reference Books Suggestions for bridge law reference books

#1 User is offline   michaelpag 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-27, 14:36

I'd be very interested in any suggestions for books or other printed reference materials concerning duplicate bridge laws, primarily for ACBL games. The only book I've found is Laws of Duplicate Bridge Through the Eyes of the Player (Harris), which is a nice try desperately needs the help of an editor. Thanks.

Michael P. Miller

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-27, 15:05

I found several errors in that thing, too.

The ACBL publishes Duplicate Decisions, but that's mostly a rehash of each of the laws and not much use. The flow charts by Laval Du Breuil are useful. They're part of a book that I haven't seen, which is apparently sold by Vince Oddy Bridge Supplies.

Harris has a couple of books aimed at directors, too. The Bridge Director's Companion is one. Make sure you get the fifth edition or later (I think the fifth is the latest).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-31, 12:18

I should add that the EBU White Book and Orange Book, particularly the former, have been useful to me, but you have to keep in mind that the EBU's regulations are different from the ACBL's, and there are some laws differences as well, such as the use of Law 12C1{c} (EBU) vs. Law 12C1{e} when awarding assigned adjusted scores.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-31, 16:57

I hestitate to suggest this for its obviousness, but the Laws themselves are a great reference book for the laws. At least there you will get the actual text of the law, rather than a potentially outdated, and possibly incorrect interpretation. The latest version of the Index is actually useful.

If you have access to ACBLScore, go into Setup and change from club mode to tournament mode. Then read or print out the tech files (under Help, I think?) (*PUT IT BACK INTO CLUB MODE* before your next game!) I have no idea why these are hidden in this way (well, yes, I know why some of the tech notes are hidden. But for the ones that are related to bridge and not privacy...) Note that some of the notes were written against obsolete versions of the Laws and need to be reinterpreted with the knowledge of the change in the Law wordings.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users