Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WBF convention cards-- how to find a particular one

#1 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-14, 14:55

From time to time, someone posts an ecatsbridge link to a WBF convention card for some pair or another. Is there an index somewhere? I can parse the url to get to http://www.ecatsbridge/documents but the rest of the link -- usually in format /cc/[country]/[pair names].pdf -- is mysterious.

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-14, 15:13

You can search for system cards by player at http://info.ecatsbri.../SearchSys.aspx.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-14, 16:25

View Postpaulg, on 2012-August-14, 15:13, said:

You can search for system cards by player at http://info.ecatsbri.../SearchSys.aspx.

TY

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-August-15, 02:35

Interesting reading , so much for my resolve of staying away from systems for a period of time. :)

I'm a little bemused about the Psychics field, such as on Hamman/Zia's card..

PSYCHICS: 3rd seat fav can be very light ; 1NT imaginative;
SPLINTER poss with 2+ cards; leads may break agreements

I would think that unless some of this is within specified limits/alerted/announced it would make it illegal.
For instance just how light can a 3rd seat favorable opening be?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-15, 02:42

View Postjillybean, on 2012-August-15, 02:35, said:

Interesting reading , so much for my resolve of staying away from systems for a period of time. :)

I would think that unless some of this is within specified limits/alerted/announced it would make it illegal.
For instance just how light can a 3rd seat favorable opening be?

See http://www.worldbrid...tems/policy.asp

If your values are "a king or more below average strength", that makes your system a HUM, which is disallowed in the Olympiad (though allowed in the Bermuda Bowl). Hence you can agree to open any eight-count.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-August-15, 02:50

So then opening any 8 count in 3rd (or any) seat is not a psyche but opening a =<7 count (3rd seat fav can be very light) is illegal?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-August-15, 03:06

View Postjillybean, on 2012-August-15, 02:35, said:

Providing full disclosure can be difficult especially when it comes to psyches and/or deviations from published systemic agreements. If Zia is prone to opening a strong notrump in third position with a nine-count and six-card minor, then Hamman knows this and it is reasonable for the opponents to be aware of it too.

The problem is that it is almost impossible to test whether it becomes an agreement or it always remains a psyche. You just have to rely on the integrity of the players.

Personally I always liked the USBF form that asked you to detail previous situations where the partnership had psyched. Zia/Rosenberg were particularly diligent at completing this section. But of course this still relies on the players' integrity and most system cards do not have the space for this.

Finally, the need for disclosure does vary according to the competition. At the World Championships, players are expected to cope with most of this in the normal run of affairs. Less so at your average regional.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-August-15, 03:07

View Postjillybean, on 2012-August-15, 02:50, said:

So then opening any 8 count in 3rd (or any) seat is not a psyche but opening a =<7 count (3rd seat fav can be very light) is illegal?

The word "psyche" muddies the waters a bit. Even though the WBF convention card talks about psyches, what they're actually talking about is agreements to deviate from what it says elsewhere on the card.

If you know that your partner would open an 8-count in third seat, it's an agreement. It's legal to have that agreement. If you know that your partner would open an 7-count in third seat, it's still an agreement, but now it's an illegal agreement.

You're still allowed to open a 7-count in thrid seat, provided that this is as much of a surprise to your partner as it is to the opposition.

The WBF psychic bidding guidelines may help. Or they may just confuse matters further.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-August-15, 03:08

View Postjillybean, on 2012-August-15, 02:50, said:

Opening any eight count may be a psyche if your system agreement is not to open an eight count. For example, opening a strong notrump with only eight points is a psyche. However, having an agreement to play one notrump as 8-11 HCP is fine: but playing it as 7-10 HCP would make the system a HUM (and not permitted at the Olympiad, for example).
The Beer Card

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-August-15, 07:41

This convention card is from the Bermuda Bowl which allows HUM's. If by agreement, in 3rd seat fav you open any 8 count then opening a 7,6,5,4? count is not a "A deliberate and gross misstatement of honor strength or suit length.” and is therefore illegal. Andy, I don't agree that the element of surprise alone makes it legal. I also don't believe listing 3rd seat fav can be very light under psychics on the WBF card makes it legal nor can I imagine the WBF intended this.

Please note it is not my intention to bring Hamman/Zia's or anyones, ethics into question.

edit: by opening 7,6,5-counts you are in effect lowering the legal minimum for a HUM opening. It is a deviation, not a psyche.
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-15, 08:45

Having a section of the CC where you list psyches is an oxymoron -- by definition, a psyche is a deviation from agreements, and anything on the CC is an agreement, so it can't be a psyche.

However, "we know what they mean". While they can open extremely light in 3rd/fav, it's not a normal thing to do, and they presumably don't cater their system to it (if they open 1NT, I assume partner will still force to game with a 10 count).

By disclosing the psychics, I think they're essentially saying "Here are some tendencies the opponents should be aware of, but we're going to assume don't happen."

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-August-15, 09:15

View Postjillybean, on 2012-August-15, 07:41, said:

This convention card is from the Bermuda Bowl which allows HUM's.

Zia-Hamman's Bermuda Bowl card is marked as "Green", so they weren't claiming to be playing a HUM.

If by agreement, in 3rd seat fav you open any 8 count then opening a 7,6,5,4? count is not a "A deliberate and gross misstatement of honor strength or suit length." and is therefore illegal. Andy, I don't agree that the element of surprise alone makes it legal.

Law 40A3 reads "A player may make any call or play without prior announcement provided that such call or play is not based on an undisclosed partnership understanding." The element of surprise is sufficient to make *any* call legal.

I also don't believe listing 3rd seat fav can be very light under psychics on the WBF card makes it legal nor can I imagine the WBF intended this.

I didn't intend to imply that it did. Writing "3rd seat fav can be very light" is simply an indication of what their agreements are. This sentence may be intended to say that they have an agreement to open 8-counts. That agreement is permitted.

It is not permitted to have an agreement to open a 7-count, regardless of what they write on the convention card.

(By "agreement", I mean the definition that appears in Law 40, ie including agreements formed through partnership experience.)

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-August-15, 09:17

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users