BBO Discussion Forums: Alert rules - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Alert rules Question

#1 User is offline   JustTosh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-21, 02:31

Hi.

What are the alert rule in this situation. 1c - (1h) - dbl?

99% of bridge players show a 4 card spade when they double. I once had a pd who wanted to use dbl in this situation as penalty.

Question:
1. Should I alert the normal neg double as it doesn't show hearts?
2. Or should I alert the penalty double as that's really very rare?

Tom

#2 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-21, 03:18

Alerting rules vary from country to country. Where I am (England) the penalty double is alertable and the takeout double is not. Under ACBL rules only "doubles with highly unusual or unexpected meanings" are alerted, so the takeout double certainly should not be. The examples given of highly unusual doubles are more unusual than playing a penalty double here, so it's not clear to me whether the penalty double requires an alert, but it can't hurt to alert it and your opponents will probably appreciate it.

#3 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 08:00

Welcome to revisiting the stone age. I do believe in ACBL land low level penalty doubles are an alert. In this age it might be best to show your partner the value of the negative double, the NT range after the over call and the advantages. Low level penalty doubles are not a winner.

#4 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-21, 17:33

Where I come from, no double is ever alerted, no matter what it means. Same as bids of the opponents' suit.
I Transfers

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-August-21, 18:21

View PostJustTosh, on 2012-August-21, 02:31, said:

Hi.

99% of bridge players show a 4 card spade when they double. I once had a pd who wanted to use dbl in this situation as penalty.

Question:

Tom

"99% of bridge players show a 4 card spade when they double"
99% ? Really, I don't think so.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-August-21, 18:22

View PostJustTosh, on 2012-August-21, 02:31, said:

Hi.

Question:

Tom

"99% of bridge players show a 4 card spade when they double"
99% ? Really, I don't think so.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-August-21, 18:36

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-August-21, 17:33, said:

Where I come from, no double is ever alerted, no matter what it means.

Sounds nightmareish.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-21, 20:51

Opponents are expected to ask, if they want to know - same as bids of the opponent's suit, 2C openings, and 2C response to 1NT.
I Transfers

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 06:44

View PostVampyr, on 2012-August-21, 18:36, said:

Sounds nightmareish.

On the contrary, I think the EBU regulation is much more nightmarish.

Playing in England I often come across doubles alerted when they shouldn't be, or not alerted when they should. Am I supposed to take the regulation inference, and get a bad score when the double wasn't meant that way? If I call the director he will say I had the opportunity to ask and failed to do so. No, I ask all the time if I am uncertain of the player's methods.

I think the idea of not alerting (always) is better, or a regulation that makes sense and everyone can remember, such as "alert if it is not penalty or an expectation that the contract is failing". Better still if you you had announcements, so that alerter's partner can say "takeout", "shows spades" "penalty" "lead directing" or whatever describes it.

#10 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 11:15

I agree, I think it was a shame that the Club Committee voted against having no alerts for any doubles. We have had alerts for (broadly) non-t/o doubles at low levels for some time now and at the club I always get questions every time I alert my partners penalty double.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-22, 11:31

For specifically the case of the 1 overcall, what is required - should be required - and is actually practiced in ACBL, EBU and other jurisdictions is a subject worthy of exploring. It is not simple, and is quite dependent on agreements.

But not here in N/B. One big problem at N/B/I is awareness. If you know your methods regarding penalty and take-out doubles at the low levels of an auction are not what the vast majority of players would play, then you will alert them. But, if you knew that, you probably would know enough to change your methods.

The sticklers will say that ignorance of the rules is no excuse. But this is ridiculous to apply if you don't know what is highly unexpected and what is not.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-August-22, 12:42

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-August-22, 06:44, said:

Playing in England I often come across doubles alerted when they shouldn't be, or not alerted when they should. Am I supposed to take the regulation inference, and get a bad score when the double wasn't meant that way? If I call the director he will say I had the opportunity to ask and failed to do so. No, I ask all the time if I am uncertain of the player's methods.

Alerts in this case allow a person not to have to ask about a non-alerted double. Your directors have given you incorrect rulings.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-August-22, 12:43

View PostTMorris, on 2012-August-22, 11:15, said:

I agree, I think it was a shame that the Club Committee voted against having no alerts for any doubles. We have had alerts for (broadly) non-t/o doubles at low levels for some time now and at the club I always get questions every time I alert my partners penalty double.

Do you really find it that onerous?

#14 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 18:38

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-August-22, 06:44, said:

Better still if you you had announcements, so that alerter's partner can say "takeout", "shows spades" "penalty" "lead directing" or whatever describes it.

It's announcements that give me nightmares! In my own opinion, announcements are not bridge (not dissing any countries that do this, they can do whatever they want, only expressing an opinion). You're not supposed to tell each other what you interpret each other's bids as - doesn't a Law say somewhere that the only information conveyed between partners may be with the cards played and the bids made? Aside from the UI problems, if you make an announcement at an unauthorised time you would be guilty of severe table talk and would get into big trouble!
I Transfers

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-22, 19:11

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-August-22, 18:38, said:

It's announcements that give me nightmares! In my own opinion, announcements are not bridge (not dissing any countries that do this, they can do whatever they want, only expressing an opinion). You're not supposed to tell each other what you interpret each other's bids as - doesn't a Law say somewhere that the only information conveyed between partners may be with the cards played and the bids made? Aside from the UI problems, if you make an announcement at an unauthorised time you would be guilty of severe table talk and would get into big trouble!

Extending announcements beyond what they are now in ACBL (1 could be short, and simple transfers to majors over NT) would, IMO, also...create nightmares. I am willing to accept the occasional help those simple ones might give to a really bad pair who might forget those basic things, and gain from the expedience of announcing. Announcing the nature of doubles is horrible.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-August-22, 21:36

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-22, 19:11, said:

Announcing the nature of doubles is horrible.

I agree. I think we have it absolutely correct here in the EBU, but of course you can't please everybody.

#17 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-23, 02:02

View PostTMorris, on 2012-August-22, 11:15, said:

We have had alerts for (broadly) non-t/o doubles at low levels for some time now and at the club I always get questions every time I alert my partners penalty double.

Sounds like it's working as it should. You've told them with your alert that it's not a takeout double, and they ask you to explain exactly what it is.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#18 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-23, 05:49

...what they are now in ACBL (1 could be short, and simple transfers to majors over NT)...

Isn't that was the CC is for? Here in Aus the top quarter of the first page of the standard CC contains suit opening minimum lengths and HCP, and 1NT range and meanings for 2C/2D/2H/2S/2NT responses. What does the US standard CC have on it?
Posted Image
I Transfers

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-23, 07:10

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-August-22, 18:38, said:

In the ACBL, at least, what's announced and how you announce it are very specific. And you announce per your agreements, just like you alert per your agreements, not "what you interpret each other's bids as".

Extending announcements beyond what they are now in ACBL (1 could be short, and simple transfers to majors over NT) would, IMO, also...create nightmares. I am willing to accept the occasional help those simple ones might give to a really bad pair who might forget those basic things, and gain from the expedience of announcing. Announcing the nature of doubles is horrible.

There are four announcement in the ACBL. You left out "forcing" or "semi-forcing" for a forcing or semi-forcing 1NT response to 1M and "15-17" or whatever the agreed range is for 1NT opening bids.

I don't much like the idea of announcing the agreed meaning of doubles, either.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-23, 08:00

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-August-23, 07:10, said:

There are four announcement in the ACBL. You left out "forcing" or "semi-forcing" for a forcing or semi-forcing 1NT response to 1M and "15-17" or whatever the agreed range is for 1NT opening bids.

I don't much like the idea of announcing the agreed meaning of doubles, either.

Yep, sloppy of me to cut the list short. Those two announcements are expedient, and acceptable IMO, as well.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users