• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Penalties

#1 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-07, 07:35

Your double of 2 would have been takeout. What is the worst hand you need to double here, presumably for penalties? Please comment on format or vulnerabilities if possible.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:00

What does 1NT mean? That makes quite a lot of difference.

#3 User is offline   kayin801 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:03

Since I posted no alert and since I posted this in the expert forum I assumed you would assume it was a strong NT overcall.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:05

I'll play partner for about 2.5-3 defensive tricks (assuming this is a natural 1NT overcall), so I'll need at least 4 trumps to go with some more defence... perhaps AJxx xxx Qxxx xx at MPs? At imps I think I'd need a bit more, say AJ10x Qxx QJxx xx. But this is getting way into "just how many points are there in this deck" territory...

ahydra

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 07:59

I don't think you need that much. Especially if you have strong diamonds. I would consider doubling with xxx spades and AQTx diamonds. With a fourth small spade or JTx spade I would definitely double. Having the diamonds locked up is extremely important when defending these hands imo.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 16:57

phil_20686, on 2012-September-10, 07:59, said:

I don't think you need that much. Especially if you have strong diamonds. I would consider doubling with xxx spades and AQTx diamonds. With a fourth small spade or JTx spade I would definitely double. Having the diamonds locked up is extremely important when defending these hands imo.

But...but...we are not doubling 3NT! We are doubling a suit contract ! At 2 level ! What does locking suit has anything to do with this ? If you have AQTx (you said it), and pd probably has K since he bid 1NT natural, that means RHO has tons of starting with J and LHO is void in , here goes our 9 hcps into trash in defense! Which means 1 opener has working cards for his pd rather than wasted hcps even if he holds the K.

To be honest i am having hard time to find a hand. After all i did not overcall 1 over 1, i did not do anything after pd bid 1NT, and now i suddenly found something in my hand that makes me think our side can take 6 tricks confidently ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 17:03

Almost never doubling here.

Name a hand that passes 2 Diamonds, doubles 2 Spades (for penalties) and is remotely likely.

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 17:08

MrAce, on 2012-September-10, 16:57, said:

But...but...we are not doubling 3NT! We are doubling a suit contract ! At 2 level ! What does locking suit has anything to do with this ? If you have AQTx (you said it), and pd probably has K since he bid 1NT natural, that means RHO has tons of starting with J and LHO is void in , here goes our 9 hcps into trash in defense! Which means 1 opener has working cards for his pd rather than wasted hcps even if he holds the K.

To be honest i am having hard time to find a hand. After all i did not overcall 1 over 1, i did not do anything after pd bid 1NT, and now i suddenly found something in my hand that makes me think our side can take 6 tricks confidently ?

I find it very implausible that rho rebid 2d over 1N with a J high suit. That is why AQTx diamonds is so good here. rho will always have KJ and lho will normally be void. So they often just struggle to have any tricks. Partner will normally have spades over declarer, partner will usually have three spades or four, since he did not dble, and does not have too many diamonds. It all adds up to layouts where the opposition just struggle to make any tricks, say

and if you give south another card, it basically has to come out of wests spade suit, which just gives us more tricks.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 18:32

phil_20686, on 2012-September-10, 17:08, said:

I find it very implausible that rho rebid 2d over 1N with a J high suit. That is why AQTx diamonds is so good here. rho will always have KJ and lho will normally be void. So they often just struggle to have any tricks. Partner will normally have spades over declarer, partner will usually have three spades or four, since he did not dble, and does not have too many diamonds. It all adds up to layouts where the opposition just struggle to make any tricks, say

and if you give south another card, it basically has to come out of wests spade suit, which just gives us more tricks.

I agree that i would also bid 1NT with N hand in your example, but i am not sure about East not bidding a 7 card suit headed by J. But lets agree that he has the K. In your example we can defeat, and i knew that there are hands we can defeat. Not sure if this is a good reason to make a double though.

Keeping your hand as the way you picked, try defeating this

Pd has KJT AQxx Jxx KQx and dummy has x KTx Kxxxxx AJx , you can defeat if pd knows to lead heart ace and another. Or try this

Pd has ATx AQJx Jxx KQx , defense is hopeless.

But my point was when i wrote the previous post, i just cant really think of a hand that really worths making a penalty DBL at 2 level major contract AFTER passing over 1 and passing over pds 1NT overcall on 2nd turn. My point was not "we can never defeat them" But do we play a style where we make this type of partscore doubles ? Perhaps you have a point in a pair session where we need to catch up, then we might.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 21:45

Yup! SKJ +HAK +CK sets (lets) 2S.

#11 User is offline   kayin801 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-11, 19:46

I mean, it seems pretty likely that LHO is void in diamonds if we have any decent diamond holding (which I think we need to X) but I guess the spade holding is pretty important. If the X of 2 is takeout then can't we have diamonds and spades on this auction with a couple cards? I had been thinking with something like Qxxx, xx, KTxx, xxx isn't it rather unlikely that they're making 2, since their tricks are coming from... where now? Yes I suppose they probably have some sort of fit in an unbid suit but it still seems unlikely that they're scrambling 8 tricks. So if we have a little more than the hand I gave earlier isn't 300/500 available? If we give partner 16, RHO 13 for his rebid over 1NT, and LHO 6, the hand I gave is possible and really none of the 3 of them have to have exactly the points given.

My point is not that I think we should be doubling on air but I wonder sometimes with hands like these if we're leaving a MP top or 5-8ish imps on the table by not hitting the contract.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users