• You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating at Chess Is Bridge next?

#61 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-19, 03:09

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-18, 19:32, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2012-September-18, 18:58, said:

In addition, travelers with hand records are generally available on the internet very shortly after the event.

Not where I play.

Then maybe you should try to influence that.

At the bridgeclub where I play, the session is scored with the bridgemates. At the end of the session, the result is published on the internet from the playing location. After the game, people go to the bar and discuss the results around their tablets and smartphones.

The technology is there and it is used.

I could easily imagine playing a regional in the ACBL with the following scenario:
- You play the first session
- You pick up your smartphone/tablet and go for dinner with your friends
- During dinner you discuss the hands, with the hand records and all the stats about the hands viewable from the internet

I think that many of ACBLs customers would want that. There is no technical reason why it couldn't be like that.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#62 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 06:07

It could be that way, but it is not obvious to me how that would be superior to printed hand records, for the purpose of post-morteming. And besides that, not everyone has a smartphone just yet.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#63 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 06:19

View Postbillw55, on 2012-September-19, 06:07, said:

It could be that way, but it is not obvious to me how that would be superior to printed hand records, for the purpose of post-morteming. And besides that, not everyone has a smartphone just yet.

"How much did we get for -50?"
"How many matchpoints would the overtrick have given us?"
"Would passing your double have been enough to put us in the lead?"
"How did our teammates manage to score -200?"
"Did anyone bid the slam?"
"Are we ahead of Fred and Jane?"
"Who are we playing next match?"
"Who is Allen playing with?"
"Who's winning the non-life master teams?"

And so on. All sorts of useful stuff that adds to the discussion between sessions. Not critical granted, but definitely nice to have available.

#64 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-19, 06:32

View Postbillw55, on 2012-September-19, 06:07, said:

Who says it has to be either...or? At our club we have printed hand records and we provide the internet service. The amount of hand records that needs to be printed decreases steadily. (And if more hand records are needed, it is easy to print an extra sheet: just access the internet and print.)

With only printed hand records you will not know how the rest of the field did on the deal (unless you are willing to sacrifice a tree). With the results on the internet, you have the score sheet together with the hand record for each deal. You can see what other players did and you can ask others (if they are still in the bar) why they chose 3NT, despite their 5-3 spade fit.

In addition, it gives you a possibility to look at the deals later on to analyze them. Why did we score so bad on this board where the opponents made 4 with an overtrick? It makes a big difference whether the rest of the score sheet shows a list of 420's or a list of 200's (for 2+3). A printed hand record won't tell you that. (And usually, I lost the printed hand records the day after.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#65 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-20, 05:00

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-17, 10:05, said:

I think it would be nice to be able to record my bridge results on my iPod (or similar device).

During a team game, it would be nice if my teammates could also record their results on a similar device so that we could easily share results (and score extra quickly). After the round is complete, of course.

That would seem to be a security risk.

One further thing, I don't understand why bridgemates are not used in team events. I imagine it would speed up reporting of results.

On the other side of the pond, we do use them for team events sometimes.
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#66 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 05:17

View PostRossoneri, on 2012-September-20, 05:00, said:

On the other side of the pond, we do use them for team events sometimes.

In Pula, bridgemates were used and the running IMP score of boards already scored was projected on a large screen while the matches were still going on (so you'd know you were 15 IMPS down with 5 of the 8 boards scored for example).

#67 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 05:50

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-September-20, 05:17, said:

In Pula, bridgemates were used and the running IMP score of boards already scored was projected on a large screen while the matches were still going on (so you'd know you were 15 IMPS down with 5 of the 8 boards scored for example).

While I could see that this has its charm, I don't like this at all. Part of the bridge skill is to be able to predict how you are doing in the match.

For some reason I don't have this feeling about barometer pairs contests. Maybe it is because I take team competitions more serious han pairs competitions.

Rik

#68 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-20, 06:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-September-20, 05:17, said:

Just to be clear, it was not a continuous update of the score. For the first part of the matches the screen had large numbers showing the time left of the round, then at some time it switched to showing the results (both for updates and checking of official scores). They were not very strict on times, but it may have changed before the round was supposed to be finished. I actually never saw my own result while still playing (partially intentional), but both we and our teammates were faster than average. The results were always up when we had compared and sometimes when we left the room. I don't know if the screen switched at a set time or after say a set number of tables/matches were finished. I can't claim it was impossible to see the score with 3 boards left and still finish in time, but more normal would be to be playing the last board (possibly at both tables with one delayed bridgemate-update if 3 boards were still missing on the update).

John

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users