BBO Discussion Forums: Defending a pass showing values - EBU - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defending a pass showing values - EBU

#1 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-25, 04:39

I am going to play against a system where a pass shows a normal 1 opening (and various other interesting 1-level openings).

In an ideal world I would like to double this opening pass as takeout - I accept this is not allowed (although perhaps it should be - but that's another discussion).

I would like to overcall this opening pass as if the opener had made a 1 opening. i.e. I would like the auction

(P) 1 to show a normal 1 overcall. This is likely on occasion to have a point count lower than a normal opening bid. Is this legal?

Any comments on whether this is a sensible defence would be welcome albeit off-topic :)

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-25, 04:53

Have you considered playing a 1 "overcall" as a take-out double of clubs and other bids as if they had opened 1?

Edit: If you are looking for other suggested defences you might have more luck in the Non-Natural System Discussion forum.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 04:59

I am thinking about a 1 overcall as t/o - alternatively as Michaels. I'd like to play overcalls as if they have opened (1NT will certainly be 15-17) hence the question as to whether overcalling one of a suit is legal as, just looking a the auction, I might look as though I am opening on illegal values.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-25, 05:03

You are playing under regulations that allow HUMs and worried about a natural defence to a forcing pass being classified as illegal?

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-25, 05:21

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-September-25, 05:03, said:

You are playing under regulations that allow HUMs and worried about a natural defence to a forcing pass being classified as illegal?

Bizarrely yes, it says basically that the restrictions are off for conventional defenses to HUMs, but nobody's considered natural defences to them. If you restrict the simple overcalls to 8+ points they're legal and any conventional bids are legal.

#6 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 06:33

"If you restrict the simple overcalls to 8+ points they're legal ...."

Thanks that's very good to know. I hesitate to ask but would such an "overcall" be alertable?

"You are playing under regulations that allow HUMs and worried about a natural defence to a forcing pass being classified as illegal?"

I've never played against such a system before so want to make sure I stay inside the rules. In the auction I give 1 is an opening bid - at least some might consider it so - so perhaps comes under the minimum requirements for an opening bid. I have no idea so would rather find out in advance.

#7 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 06:58

Presumably, if they pass with good hands, they have to open something with bad hands. I find it hard to believe that they can open their bad hands, but you cannot "open" your bad hands once they have passed.

I don't have a recommendation for actions after their 1st/2nd seat pass. But, I think when you are in 1st seat you ought to pass with some good hands in order to see more ferts from 2nd hand. Ferts are probably a long run loser for them, especially if you can "force" some on them when you have a good hand of a particular type (strong balanced, for instance). Notice that you don't have to worry about opening light in 3rd seat to protect against 1st hand's strong pass since 2nd hand will either make their own forcing pass or open the bidding, either way 1st hand will get another chance.

#8 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-September-25, 07:43

If they can play a HUM in first position, can you play a HUM in second position where 1D/1H/1S are natural but could be less than opening values?

Are the regulations for this event available on-line?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#9 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 08:09

View PostRMB1, on 2012-September-25, 07:43, said:

If they can play a HUM in first position, can you play a HUM in second position where 1D/1H/1S are natural but could be less than opening values?

Re using HUMs in 2nd position I guess that is what I am asking although you have stated it much more clearly than I did.

The regulations state that the WBF Systems policy will apply so maybe I should be ignoring EBU requirements. We have been given a suggested defence but I want to clarify things. Anyhow if we use their defence not only will they know their own system better than us they will know the defence we are using better as well so I'd rather use something else and perhaps slightly less complex (not that the suggested defence is especially complex).

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-25, 08:17

View PostTMorris, on 2012-September-25, 08:09, said:

The regulations state that the WBF Systems policy will apply

HUMs are only allowed at WBF Level 3. I think it unlikely your event is Level 3 so perhaps the first thing is to confirm with the organisers that their system is allowed. The pair opposing a HUM system are also allowed to change their opening bids in response to the HUM system - in other words you can play what you like.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-25, 08:26

View PostRMB1, on 2012-September-25, 07:43, said:

Fair request, I assumed it was EBU somewhere from the thread title/comment, but you can't even use a value showing pass at level 5, so I don't see what restrictions they can put on your defences. The Gold cup regs (semi/final) say you're allowed to use a HUM, and you're allowed to defend it according to the WBF Cat 1 rules which are:

For Team events in Category 1, the following regulations will apply to defensive measures against HUM systems.

A pair opposing a HUM system pair will submit two (clearly legible) copies of their defence to the HUM system at an appropriate time and place prior to the start of that segment, to be specified in the Conditions of Contest. Such defences are deemed to be part of the opponents' system card.
In preparing the defence against a HUM system, pairs using Green, Blue or Red systems are allowed to change their systems, including opening calls. Pairs using a HUM system are not allowed to change their opening calls.
The pair using a HUM system must inform the opponents in writing (two clearly legible copies) about their counter-defence at the table prior to the start of the session. In preparing their counter-defence, the pair using a HUM system is not permitted to change any of the highly artificial aspects of its system.

So I suspect you can in fact do what you like if it's Gold Cup.

#12 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 08:35

Thanks for all the comments.

It looks like I am thinking of this re EBU rules when I perhaps I shouldn't be - I hadn't appreciated that some WBF rules were in force until just now. I will consider it further.

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 08:36

Please, folks, when you ask a question about regulations, tell us at least what regulations are in force, and preferably where we can read them for ourselves. If you don't know what regulations are in force, tell us the event and the country.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 09:03

My apologies. It's held in the UK so I assumed EBU regs in error.

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 09:33

I gather you're talking about the (EBU?) Gold Cup, but I'm still not certain of that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-25, 12:45

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-September-25, 05:03, said:

Well, doubling a pass is somewhat likely to be an illegal defense.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-26, 02:31

View PostVampyr, on 2012-September-25, 12:45, said:

Well, doubling a pass is somewhat likely to be an illegal defense.

I dealt with that in post #2. This post (#4) was in response to the one discussing whether overcalls of their pass might be illegal openings. Anyway, the rules for the Gold Cup specifically say that all of the WBF rules apply unless they contradict another stated rule so it is clear that these 2nd/3rd seat "openings" can be played any way the OP likes and this is allowed. For reference the relevant section is:-

6. DEFENCE AGAINST YELLOW (HUM) SYSTEMS AND BROWN STICKER CONVENTIONS

For Team events in Category 1, the following regulations will apply to defensive measures against HUM systems.

1. A pair opposing a HUM system pair will submit two (clearly legible) copies of their defence to the HUM system at an appropriate time and place prior to the start of that segment, to be specified in the Conditions of Contest. Such defences are deemed to be part of the opponents' system card.

2. In preparing the defence against a HUM system, pairs using Green, Blue or Red systems are allowed to change their systems, including opening calls. Pairs using a HUM system are not allowed to change their opening calls.

3. The pair using a HUM system must inform the opponents in writing (two clearly legible copies) about their counter-defence at the table prior to the start of the session. In preparing their counter-defence, the pair using a HUM system is not permitted to change any of the highly artificial aspects of its system.

For Teams events in Category 1 and Category 2, the following regulations will apply in re­la­tion to defensive measures against Brown Sticker Conventions:

A pair may prepare written defences against the Brown Sticker elements of any system. Such defences will have to be given to the opponents (two clearly legible copies) at an appropriate time and place prior to the start of that segment, to be specified in the Con­di­tions of Contest. Written defences against Brown Sticker conventions are deemed to be part of the opponents' system card.

6.2 is the one that covers it.

#18 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-26, 03:11

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-25, 06:58, said:

But, I think when you are in 1st seat you ought to pass with some good hands in order to see more ferts from 2nd hand.

I think this could get you in trouble unless you were careful. A course of conduct of doing this would become an implicit/concealed agreement.

A system in which you uprated the minimum opening standards for some bids would be perfectly legal. But in general it is difficult to choose what your system is contingent upon what the other side's system is. You choose your system and then the other side chooses its defence, you don't then get to revise your system.

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-26, 03:52

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-September-26, 03:11, said:

I think this could get you in trouble unless you were careful. A course of conduct of doing this would become an implicit/concealed agreement.

A system in which you uprated the minimum opening standards for some bids would be perfectly legal. But in general it is difficult to choose what your system is contingent upon what the other side's system is. You choose your system and then the other side chooses its defence, you don't then get to revise your system.

Actually in the gold cup, you're allowed to do this provided the system you normally play is not a HUM and you are allowed to react to opps system while they're not allowed to materially change it.

#20 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-26, 06:04

The closest I could get to any relevant comment here in Norway is our regulation stating:
No defence against strong, conventional opening bids, Brown stickers or HUM is considered Brown sticker.

I read this to say that here you are not restricted in any way in your choice of such defence agreements.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users