• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sort this one out

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-30, 00:38

I had a nightmare last night, this was it, a suitably weird directorial situation resulted.

The hand in detail is not relevant, I hold 6 spades and no hearts, RHO holds a LOT of hearts.

I open 2, as this is just about to hit the table, there is a load of shouting from behind me distracting all 4 players. I place this on the table and turn round, knocking the 2 card onto the floor with my sleeve which I don't notice. The other 3 players see 2 on the table and the auction proceeds (partner announces "weak") X-P-P-P and the bidding cards are put back in the box. It rapidly becomes apparent when I try to ruff that I'm the only person to think I opened 2, the 2 card is then found on the floor so I clearly removed it from the bidding box with intent to play it.

What now ?

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-30, 03:43

As far as I know, result stands. You may have intended to bid 2S but you actually bid 2H; and you can only change an unintended designation until partner has called.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-30, 04:10

ahydra, on 2012-September-30, 03:43, said:

As far as I know, result stands. You may have intended to bid 2S but you actually bid 2H; and you can only change an unintended designation until partner has called.

ahydra

No I actually bid 2 which did hit the table, and was then (illegally probably) modified a short time later. Clearly you have to take this as being true for there to be a problem for the director.

#4 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-September-30, 04:56

We take as fact that you bid 2

The ruling is easy if this bid was changed to 2 (in the sense of Law 25) by knocking away the 2 card - apply Law 25B1 - the auction stands with the contract played in 2X. But this requires the call of 2 to be a call - to have been made - and this requires (EBU bidding regulations) apparent intent. Again, we take it as fact that the 2 card was knocked away accidentally and (if any one had observed it) there was no intent apparent.

I rule on the basis that there was no change of call - the knocking away of the 2 card was a misleading "gesture" that misled the rest of the table to think you had opened 2. The auction stands with the 2 bidding card restored to the table, with the contract played in 2X. If this result is favourable to you, I adjust to a normal result of opponents bidding over a weak 2 opening. We can argue if this is Law 73F - otherwise I will use Law 12A1.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-30, 12:47

I do not see that Law 73 applies at all. I gather that Robin is ruling that "knocking away" the 2 card, accidental though it was, is a violation of the EBU bidding box regulation (Orange Book 7B). I don't see that either, though I can understand the desire to say so. Or perhaps I've missed something, or Robin thinks some other law or regulation has been violated. If so, I'd admire to know what it is. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-September-30, 13:02

I can find EBU Orange Book 7 B 7

At the end of the auction the calls should remain in place until the opening lead has been faced and all explanations have been obtained, ...

(It is implicit that the calls should remain in place before that.)

Knocking a bidding card on the floor (even accidentally) is contrary to this regulation.

As previously, I am surprised that you want to rule differently. If the only bid the OP made at that turn was 2, I am not going to rule that the opponents are stuck with believing it was 2 (during the auction).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-September-30, 13:26

I don't want to rule differently. I never did. I just wasn't sure there was a legal way to rule as we both wanted to. Now I am sure that there is. :D

It might be more difficult to rule this way in North America, since the ACBL's regulation lacks the stipulation we're using in this EBU ruling.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-30, 16:38

I will live out my remaining days confident that the exact set of circumstances will remain someone's nightmare and I will never encounter them.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-September-30, 16:51

aguahombre, on 2012-September-30, 16:38, said:

I will live out my remaining days confident that the exact set of circumstances will remain someone's nightmare and I will never encounter them.

I have seen something vaguely similar, but it was noticed before damage was done, involved a bidding box having previously met some beer and a card stuck to a sleeve.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-30, 18:28

Cyberyeti, on 2012-September-30, 16:51, said:

I have seen something vaguely similar, but it was noticed before damage was done, involved a bidding box having previously met some beer and a card stuck to a sleeve.

Yep, me too. But I don't think about 8 to ten things, all bad, will come together like a perfect storm inside the Bermuda Triangle. And, if they do, maybe I won't be directing :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-01, 03:38

I would like to:
- give you an AS based on a normal result when everyone would have seen the 2 bid
- give your opponents the table result
- add both scores in %, subtract 100% and subtract the remainder from the guilty party at the other table

I wouldn't go that far in practice, but I would issue a PP to the other table, particularly if the shouting was unfriendly, as it sounds. (If at the other table everybody was having a good time in a very loud way, I would merely give a warning.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-01, 04:24

Cyberyeti, on 2012-September-30, 00:38, said:

It rapidly becomes apparent when I try to ruff that I'm the only person to think I opened 2, the 2 card is then found on the floor so I clearly removed it from the bidding box with intent to play it.

Didn't you ask your partner to put the trumps in the correct location when tabling dummy?

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-01, 05:53

iviehoff, on 2012-October-01, 04:24, said:

Didn't you ask your partner to put the trumps in the correct location when tabling dummy?

He didn't have any.

Not that it matters but the noises were non bridge related so there's no other table to penalise re. Trinidad's post.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-October-01, 06:06

Trinidad, on 2012-October-01, 03:38, said:

I would like to:
- give you an AS based on a normal result when everyone would have seen the 2 bid
- give your opponents the table result
- add both scores in %, subtract 100% and subtract the remainder from the guilty party at the other table

I wouldn't go that far in practice, but I would issue a PP to the other table, particularly if the shouting was unfriendly, as it sounds. (If at the other table everybody was having a good time in a very loud way, I would merely give a warning.)

Rik

I like this ruling, although it occurred to me that if the loud shouting is a ZT violation, which is almost certainly the case, even if they were just having a good time in a loud way, I will have already given them a DP, so adding a PP on top of that seems a bit much, even for me. B-)
I did consider the split score, but it isn't legal, especially the third part (adjusting the score at the other table). As for the split score at this table, it seems to me that's the kind of ruling some club TDs give when they want to keep everybody happy. Still illegal though.
--------------------

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-01, 09:23

blackshoe, on 2012-October-01, 06:06, said:

I like this ruling, although it occurred to me that if the loud shouting is a ZT violation, which is almost certainly the case, even if they were just having a good time in a loud way, I will have already given them a DP, so adding a PP on top of that seems a bit much, even for me. B-)
I did consider the split score, but it isn't legal, especially the third part (adjusting the score at the other table).

I am not adjusting. I am penalizing. The size of the PP depends on the damage that the infraction caused.

As for the split score at this table, it seems to me that's the kind of ruling some club TDs give when they want to keep everybody happy. Still illegal though.

Very illegal, I know. (I did write what I would like to do.)

My decision:
- The table result stands.
- The opponents commiserate with opener (who I deem responsible for his own bidding cards -don't ask me under what law, I will use 74A3 and 74B1).
- Since it seems the people at the adjacent table were not involved in bridge, the most I can do is explain what happened and kindly request them to buy the four bridge players a round.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-October-01, 12:41

blackshoe, on 2012-September-30, 13:26, said:

I don't want to rule differently. I never did. I just wasn't sure there was a legal way to rule as we both wanted to. Now I am sure that there is. :D

It might be more difficult to rule this way in North America, since the ACBL's regulation lacks the stipulation we're using in this EBU ruling.

I would rule the same way in the ACBL. I would not find it difficult at all. As I have said previously, even though Ed disagrees, I am confident that custom & practice establishes rules to be followed. Otherwise what is to stop someone in the ACBL, having made a bid, removing the bidding cards deliberately and throwing them on the floor?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-October-01, 15:12

What ACBL custom or practice will you invoke in making this ruling?
--------------------

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-01, 15:53

It's normal practice in ACBL to leave the bidding cards in place until the end of the auction. This differs from OB 7B7 in that we don't leave them out until the opening lead, but I don't see how that difference is relevant to this situation.

#19 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-October-01, 16:26

Exactly.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-October-01, 16:57

barmar, on 2012-October-01, 15:53, said:

It's normal practice in ACBL to leave the bidding cards in place until the end of the auction. This differs from OB 7B7 in that we don't leave them out until the opening lead, but I don't see how that difference is relevant to this situation.

Is it? Then why do I so often see 1NT-(P)-3NT-pick up the bidding cards? Did 3NT end the auction? I suppose "custom and practice" says it did, but then "custom and practice" not only becomes law, it negates existing law. Is that what we want for this game?
--------------------

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users