BBO Discussion Forums: Ghosts and Bridge - Halloween Story Contest - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghosts and Bridge - Halloween Story Contest Submit your Halloween bridge stories here by Oct 30 midnight

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-22, 17:24

We're having a Halloween contest in the Lobby News. Write a Halloween bridge story - mummies, vampires, witches, ghosts, let your imagination run wild! The best story is guaranteed a BB$20 prize and will be featured in BBO News for eternal glory.

Read all details here.

Deadline is October 30, 23.59 US Eastern.

Have fun :)

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-22, 21:39

This isn't exactly a Halloween story, but it has some ghosts and bridge in it so it should be good enough to get you started. I translated and adapted this from a short story written by GHoria (Horia Garbea). The hand is from an older thread by dburn.

The Queen had been struggling on the labour bed for days, surrounded by the Kingdom's best midwives, but her baby was not willing to come out.

"Come baby, your people want to see you" - chanted the midwives in chorus. "We'll give you candy and treats. You will rule over the whole kingdom, precious prince!" Nothing seemed to work. "We're going to lose her, My Lord," whispered the oldest of them. "Call the Ghosts, this is out of our hands" ... "and pay them well," she added, knowing that the King was not exactly famous for this generosity.

The King hesitated a bit, then sent word to the Ghost of Clubs and to the Ghost of Diamonds who were minors and less expensive than the Major Ghosts. The spirits flew into the Queen's room, sat at her head and chanted to convince the baby to get born.

"You shall be the greatest bridge player in the Kingdom," promised the Ghost of Clubs.
"Not only you shall be the most talented of all," added the Ghost of Diamonds," but you shall never get a lead that leaves no chance for you to make your contracts."

That seemed to be persuasive enough for the stubborn baby boy who finally gave peace to his mom and allowed the horde of midwives to get him all cleaned up and ready to become a Prince. As the whole room sighed in relief, and the King started crying with joy, a sinister wail from the castle's windows made everyone freeze. The Ghost of Spades rushed into the room, furious that she had not been invited!

"May all your slams have two losers!" she cursed - then vanished in a storm of wrath.

Years passed by and the Prince grew up, becoming a handsome young man with an exceptional talent in bridge. All of his opponents made bad leads against him and he was always careful to stay out of slam, fearing his bad destiny. One day, in the Inter-Kingdom Finals, he picked up this hand:

He opened 1, his partner bid 2 (game forcing). Next the Prince showed his second suit, then over his partner's 2 he attempted to sign off in 4. But his partner, not knowing about the curse, blasted 6. And the inevitable happened:

Will the Prince be able to defeat his destiny and make this contract?

#3 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-23, 12:07

Posted Image

T's first Halloween.

There's a young pup we'll call T who has been learning bridge. On his first Halloween outing, he was dressed up as a gentleman in tuxedos and told, "You are playing a grand slam. You'll have to collect 13 tricks by the end of the night. If you can get 13 tricks you'll receive 2220 kibbles. Otherwise you'll have to lose kibbles for every trick you fail to collect."

The pup was anxious to set off and eagerly accepted the bargain. He trotted off to his first house, anticipating much good stuff. He rang the doorbell and a witch answered and the first thing she told him was, "Trick or treat?"

T sensed something was reversed about the situation, but he couldn't see how to extract himself from it. He whimpered a little and managed to squeak out, "Trrrrick?" and was offered his first trick.

Although he didn't get his anticipated treat, T was undaunted and recovered enough to trot jauntily off to the next house. This time, a vampire opened the door before he could ring the doorbell, and said, "Trick or treat?" T was starting to get frustrated because he is now starting to realize he can't win - he can either accumulate enough tricks to please his owners, or get a little bit of treats now, but lose his future kibbles. Nevertheless he had to make an immediate choice, the vampire was waiting. So he growled out, "Trrrricckk!", received his 2nd trick, and walked on to the next house.

With a sense of foreboding, he knocked on the door with his nose. A skeleton answered and with a menacing voice, said, "Trick or treat?" It proved to be his undoing because T chewed on this heap of bones contentedly for a couple hours, ate all the treats left in his house, and carried his bag of tricks home to his demanding owners.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-23, 16:05

From BBOer UN Known

It was Wednesday, Oct 31 – time for my partner and me to win the pot at the Masters Only game at our local club. In all modesty I should mention we have always been incredibly successful, and I fully expected to win the money once again.

I arrived at "The Dungeon", the name we gave to the club because it was located in the basement of the old Cavendish Hotel, and was surprised to see a sign on the door that said CLOSED FOR HALLOWEEN. Peeking through the dingy window, I could see a dim light in the playing area, but the door was locked. As I turned to leave I thought I heard a deep voice say "TRY AGAIN" so I did . . . and this time the knob turned and the door slowly and creakily opened. A voice I didn't recognize said "Come in sir. You are here for an evening of friendly bridge I assume". Warily I stepped into the Dungeon.

As I walked down the dark corridor my heart was beating much faster than usual and my steps were considerably slower -- what was going on here ? My host was standing in the shadows and I could see only two tables set up. Finally, he spoke. "My friends and I want to practice for a team match against the Heavenly Angels - would you care to join us?" "No I don't think so -- I need to be going but thank you," I replied. "I'm afraid that won't be possible but I can promise you a very memorable night, so relax," he said.

As he approached me I could see a manlike creature with horns protruding from his head and fiery red eyes. "Take a seat please – and select a team." I found myself sitting South at the table nearest me - but no other players .

"Your team will be any three other players from the past that you wish - you merely need to tell me who you select." "You mean I can play with Charles Goren -- Barry Crane -- or any great player from the past." "Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I know you like to play for "stakes" so if your team wins you will become the acknowledged best player in the world." "And what if I lose ?" I asked nervously. "Why would you lose? You have your choice of many great players. But on the very remote chance that it should happen you will remain here with my partners and me and become our coach for all eternity. Now please make your selection as my team is anxious to get started."

This was getting too weird so I said "I don't wish to play. I REALLY want to leave." "Sorry, I told you already that we need you tonight –so choose your team NOW!" Sensing I was stuck, I replied "Fine. I choose Paul Soloway for my partner and Oswald Jacoby and Howard Schenken as our teammates."

No sooner had I made my selection than eight players were seated at the two tables. Four demons, three all-time great champions, and me! Paul smiled, "We'll do our best to teach these guys a lesson", and Ozzy and Howard nodded in agreement. Unfortunately the demons didn't seem all that worried.

The match was 26 hands long, and there was a lot of drama in each hand. The Demons were tough but we were tough too and as we approached the last hand the lead had changed several times, but the Demons had uncanny skills - we were in a DEAD tie.

As the last hand started, the host Demon on my left gave me a blood chilling smile. "There is a small rule I forgot to mention. We must have a winner with this last hand. If the match ends in a tie, the outcome will be decided by the declarer with the most exotic line of play."

My demon opponent opened 2 spades. I bid 4h. I then heard 4s from the LHD (left hand demon), 5h from Paul, pass, 6h from me to set the final contract, and all pass. The Ace of spades was led followed by a trump

It seems I was to determine my own fate as I became declarer in six hearts . I nervously studied the dummy. What if QJ were doubleton in the EAST hand? I drew trump in two rounds, played AK noting with great relief the fall of QJ on my right . I was set up for a simple double squeeze - with the Q of spades a threat against RHD and the fourth diamond a threat against LHD, neither demon could guard clubs!! Well done by me! I was confident that I would not spend my eternity with these repulsive creatures who smelled of brimstone!

We moved to the other table where the Demon in my chair had also reached six hearts but the play was a little different. Same lead - and same trump switch. A second round of trump - AK of diamonds – a trump to dummy - good 10 of diamonds discarding a club from hand -- QUEEN OF SPADES covered the by King and trumped in hand. As I watched the play progress panic set in. The spade jack and the Queen of clubs were now isolated in Howard's hand. "NO NO NO", I cried, as I realized I was witnessing a rare TRANSFER SQUEEZE! "This is a TRICK!" Eternal damnation was staring me in the face!

Suddenly I heard my wife's irritated voice, "WAKE UP! WAKE UP you IDIOT! You are having a NIGHTMARE! I TOLD you not to eat all the kids Halloween TREATS!!!"

#5 User is offline   brokko 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-24, 09:48

The old Badger disliked Halloween intensely. Maybe it was the connection with the Walpurgis Club, a bridge club he had once visited, a bridge club populated with all manner of beasts, even worse than the Menagerie Club where the Hideous Hog reigned supreme, an obnoxious, arrogant and know-it-all sort of fellow so into three no-trump contracts that the old and wise Badger brain wondered why they insisted on actually bidding - a waste of good bridge time - when the hideous one always ended up in the damned contract.

Or was it their ghastly system they played at the Walpurgis? Named after the club itself: The Walpurgis Club. No-one could get their head around it, even the players themselves, always peering at their convention cards. And then there were the witches, sneakily peeking at their bridge flippers on the floor beside them, pretending to stroke their black cats. If tutting was allowed, the Badger would have been tutting all evening, but tutting was wasn't allowed at the Walpurgis. Yet scaring the wits out of your players was! And why he had decided on a whim to visit the Walpurgis on a Halloween many moons ago was still beyond his grasp. It's reputation preceded it. But he had.

Curiousity had got the better of him. A "Trick or Treat Bridge Extravaganza" had been promised. He had pondered whether the overcooked, slightly burnt sausage rolls and insipid mulled wine had been classified as a "trick" or a "treat", and had concluded that they were neither. His partner was called Banquo - a ghostly looking man with white hair and pale skin who insisted on using a convention called Macbeth. And their opponents had been equally ghoulish: one warlock with frizzy hair and mad eyes and a hook-nosed witch with a large mug of steaming brew that a green frog peered out of now and again, burping loudly to draw attention to itself, and then disappearing back into the vapours.

Though why he had never returned to the Walpurgis were those teeth. Those horrible ghastly teeth chattering away.

If he had known that the tournament director, as soon as he was called for a revoke, would rush to the table and pull from his jacket pocket a pair of wind-up chattering dentures and set them in front of the offending player, he would never ever have ventured to the Walpurgis in the first instance.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! those plastic teeth were saying, mockingly, accusedly, chattering furiously until the coil had wound down. The Badger pondered what the punishment would have been four down vulnerable doubled? Thankfully, that never happened that evening and the Badger avowed never to visit the Walpurgis again.

But tonight was again Halloween. But tonight would be different. It would be oh-so-normal bridge with my oh-so-normal bridge partner playing against oh-so-mainly-normal bridge opponents in a cozy reputable club, The Black and White, the Badger assured himself adjusting his bowtie and brushing a few bristly hairs from his tuxedo. His partner tonight would be the veritable bridge ace, the HoneyBadger. They had a lot in common and usually did well, though 'Honey', as she liked to be called, had a ferocious edge to her play and her bidding, usually overbidding by a trick or two.

The first hand was no exception. Seven no-trumps reached very quickly. Badger as declarer. He counted his tricks. twelve on top, one to find. He played from dummy on the opening lead, the right hand opponent playing a card quickly. Badger counted again: twelve. He hesitated and played low.

"WHAT!!!!!" hissed his partner, baring her brillant white teeth. Her upper lip was quivering and she was starting to snarl. And, once again, Badger thought briefly of those horrid chattering teeth.

He looked hurriedly at the cards. Oh my God, he thought realising that he had let his opponents win the first trick in a seven no-trump contract. And then a clearer image of those mechanical teeth chattering away from long ago fixed in his mind.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

"I was only rectifying the count" the Badger said, by way of timid explanation, a small bead of sweat now breaking on his brow, his mind still thinking fuzzily of the number "twelve" and those chattering teeth.

Twelve, midnight, the witching hour, ghosts and ghouls, and chattering teeth. The Badger actually hated Halloween.

#6 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2012-October-25, 01:18

It had been a while since I had gone to the Haunted Trail during the last week of October, in Balboa Park, San Diego. But I still lived nearby and the experience had been one to remember, so it would be good to be back. This time, I wouldn't be going alone. Daphne, a coworker, was coming with me.

There were other places to go in Balboa Park besides the Haunted Maze, but that was definitely the thing I had the most vivid memories of, so we decided to do that first. As it happened, no one else was going with us at that particular moment, and so we had to navigate a dark, confusing and twisting path all by ourselves. Before long I saw a well-lit tent up ahead, the path evidently going through. This was familiar from the other time I had been there. We were on the right track.

On our way through the tent, two clowns jumped out of a corner and blew horns in our faces. As we staggered back, one of them stepped into our way, fanned out a handful of cards, and commanded, "Pick a card! Any card…"

I looked the fan of cards over, and the other clown sprang up. "Come on! You don't need to take all night," as he pointed his horn at me and blew.

Flustered, I grabbed a card and turned it over. What do you know, on the other side was the face of Harold Berlin, the famed rubber bridge great.

"The luck of the draw!" the clown holding the cards said. "You get to play bridge with us, one rubber. If you win the rubber, we'll let you go on home. But if WE win, then you get to stay with us for ETERNITY! Muhuhohohahahahaha!"

We had little choice in the matter. The clowns dragged out a fold-up table leaning against the wall in the back corner. Next thing I knew, I was playing rubber bridge in this spooked-up tent, with Daphne as my partner.

If a clown ever tells you he can do something, believe him. Daphne was a skilled spades player, but her rudimentary knowledge of bridge bidding was handicapping our side significantly. Our opponents got vulnerable first, then we did. But in the meantime, in spirited attempts to get the rubber over with quickly, Daphne had bid our side into game contracts that just weren't there, and most of these were rightly doubled. And so it happened that not only would we need to reach game to win the rubber but we would also have to make a slam. Quite honestly, the way it was going, we were lucky that we didn't need a grand slam.

As dealer, I picked up a promising hand. I opened 1, and for once, the clowns stayed out of the way of our bidding. Daphne responded 1NT and I rebid 2. I considered jump-shifting, but my primary suit was so weak that I would never be able to get the three-club call out of my throat with an even tone. In response to this, Daphne rebid 2.

Oh boy. In standard bidding, this was the "impossible spade bid," showing a strong club raise. But how much of that knowledge did Daphne have? Was she in fact about to deliver a strong club raise, or was she simply showing a balanced hand with three very strong spades?

While I was pondering, a third clown, who was kibitzing, spoke up. "Hey! Move it!" he yipped, blowing his horn in my ear.

This was getting to be too much, and I finally did what I do all too often in less ridiculous settings. We needed a slam, and this was as good a chance as any. "Six clubs," I blurted out. LHO clown passed. Daphne passed. RHO clown passed. No double! A good sign already.

West threw a fiendish grin in my direction and led a trump, East following. We were in a good spot ---- in fact, on any other lead, 6 would breeze home on a crossruff. But here, if the other trump was with the A, and hearts did not break 4-3, a second round of clubs would kill the crossruff. Nor were my heart spots good enough to set up a trick through repeated ruffing finesses, even if West had the weakest possible five-card heart holding.

Anyway, I would have to lose a heart trick early in the play to get the hand going, but I just knew a trump would be coming back and I would have to be ready for it. I won trick one in hand, unblocked the A and K, then led a heart to dummy's king. East won the ace, then sneered at me, "Don't you know sevens are singletons, you fool?" as he returned the outstanding trump.

I played the J, preparing to win in hand, but then West discarded the Q! This was an unexpected play, even if West had a count on the spade suit. It definitely looked like West was guarding the red suits and I would need to execute some kind of squeeze against him in order to make. Accordingly, I overtook in dummy with the A, then, continuing to thread the needle, led dummy's last spade, ruffing East's jack, and West was caught in a crisscross trump squeeze. If he pitched a diamond, I would win the A, ruff a heart, ruff a diamond, ruff a heart, then a diamond ruff would bring down West's K and dummy would be high.

West actually discarded a heart, and I ruffed a heart in dummy, East dropping the queen. "Yeah, I thought so," I said aloud, crossing to the A, ruffing a heart, ruffing a diamond, and one more heart ruff in dummy made my hand good.

The rubber was over, and we had won by 60 points. Daphne congratulated me on my play, and then I told our opponents, "Thank you for your hospitality," as I grabbed Daphne's hand and headed for the exit.

"Hold on," barked the West clown as he sprang up. "The score, look, this rubber was pretty much a tie. YOU get to go home, but your pretty partner is staying with us, and we're all going to like it!" And with that he and his accomplice took hold of Daphne and then tore through the paper wall on one side, running into an area that I was sure only park staff were allowed in.

I wasn't going to let them make off with Daphne so easily. "You cheats, get back here!" I yelled as I took off running after them, and before long the area all around us was pitch black. I couldn't see where we were going any more. The clowns faded into the darkness, and the ground gave way under my feet.

"WRRRAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHH!"

I found myself partially slipped into the crack between my twin beds. It was morning, on the day of November 1. Candy wrappers were lying all around my apartment, and there was a bitter taste in my mouth. No doubt about it, I had definitely overdone it this year. Where did all THAT come from, I wondered to myself. I had been in the Haunted Maze before, but four years ago was the last time. And I was having a hard time remembering whether Daphne was real. While I was trying to figure it out, I realized that we had in fact met, but only once ---- and that was in the elevator, two days ago.

I got out of bed, brushed my teeth and got in the shower.

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-25, 10:29

From BBOer Beaux (Bonita Hayes)

---

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Clubs, there was a lowly Two, the son of the King and Queen of clubs. The Kingdoms of Heart and Spades looked down on the Kingdom of Clubs. Even the Kingdom of Diamonds looked down on the Kingdom of Clubs. The little Two of Clubs had little to no chance of realizing his full potential.

It was a dark and scary night in the Multi-Kingdoms and the hobgoblins were rampant. The Kings and Queens of the kingdoms were closing up their windows and locking down the hatches and doors. The fog was rising and the night was dingy and scary. All of the town 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s were busy getting into their costumes for the big treat night. Candy galore was dancing in their cards with anticipation of lots of goodies. With the kingdom on edge, the kings and queens were making their little 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s stay at home. The entire kingdom was unable to enjoy the "night of candy". But the brave little 2 of clubs was determined to have a night of candy and fun. So, the brave little 2 put on his very best set of clubs and ventured out into the night.

He first set his sites on a door, but when he approached, he was interupted by a DouBOOle! He bravely stalked pass the DouBOOle,knocked on the door and got a lovely caramel apple. He next went towards another door and was approached by a ReDouBOOle. He foiled this attempt and received a popcorn ball! He was doing so well. Being so brave... Now the big test was to come... He went to the next door and was stifled by the Skip bid... The 2 was ready for action and Jumped to a sure Slam dunk, where he received a full bag of candy corn. All of the Clubs in the Club Kingdom were pleased, thrilled and clapped for the 2. Even the 2 of clubs can have a good result every now and then!!!

Bonita Hays

#8 User is offline   Penguiniom 

• Pip

Posted 2012-October-25, 12:36

The Devil meets his Nemesis.... With acknowledgement to Victor Mollo

HALLOWEEN AT THE CLUB.

Twas the 'Ghoulash' pairs on Walpurgis night
As the stranger Walked in to the room
I know it was just a trick of the light
But I'd swear she arrived on a broom

The dealer that night was the Devil himself
The distributions and breaks were insane
Standard percentage plays were left on the shelf
Impossible plays happened time and again

The stranger's play it was wild, it was fast
Some lines that she took were obscure
On any other night she would surely come last
But tonight she amassed a huge score

Over 80% with but one round to play
And yet the win was not hers to proclaim
The Hog knew on this night the extreme would hold sway
So the Devil was played at his own game

He'd passed a 32 count for the only plus score East-West
And with points for as slam stopped in game
Pushed a part score to slam with vigour and zest
So they began the last hand scores the same

The witch she just cackled as the Hog he sat down
The cards dancing like her coven round the fire
No matter what he did, she found another bid
As the contract went higher and higher

A wild bid to the grand on a ridiculous hand
But she knew every card would be right
She called up the conductor to start up the band
She knew that the win was in sight

The Hog he turned pale, no lead would prevail
He looked ashen and put in his place
No red or black card could induce her to fail
So he smashed a real spade in her face.....

Epitaph...

If your beating the Hog with the help of the Devil
Wear a helmet or you may end up dead
Bad plays may score well, but you'll soon end up in Hell
If a very large spade splits your head...

Penguinion

#9 User is offline   dfm321 

• Pip

Posted 2012-October-26, 08:48

I had to go to my uncle's funeral this morning. The wake and Mass were held at the funeral home. When the priest came, he had all of us go with him into the parlor where the coffin was. He said a few words about my uncle, etc. Where I was sitting, I could hear music, not church music. I thought it was music being played over some speakers. It wasn't loud but I could hear it. We all then went into the chapel for Mass. I still heard the music all through Mass. I'm thinking how rude to be playing regular music over speakers during Mass. When it was over and I got into my car, music again... I then realized it was coming from my smart phone.

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-26, 14:25

From BBOer Ereff

Title: All in Good Spirits
Author: Ella Reff, Muncie, Indiana

Everybody was getting ready for the bridge night on Halloween. The witch had on her big black hat and her Spadex girdle to look her hauntingly best. Wanda brewed her secret spiced cider, and she cheated by putting in some Red Hearts. "I donut know whether they will like my brew," she said, "but I have a feeling I will like what I drew at the bridge table."

Her partner didn't think they had a ghost of a chance when he saw who walked in with her fingerful of Diamonds and her partner from the Club in the next town. It was Mr. Blackwood and he was Easley the best bidder in the room.

Soon Mr. D. Rector walked up to the front, dressed as a parson, and said, "You all look nice in your Suits but I thought I'd Double up with laughter when I saw old Snuffy Smith walk in. I didn't even know he knew how to play bridge but we welcome him anyway. He probably took up the game since he has all the Aces up his sleeve.

Well, let's get started... Tonight there will be no Evil looks across the table, and you cannot say 'Woooooo' when you barely make your contract. And you definitely cannot say 'Booooooo' when your opponents make theirs. All right--have at it and let the Blood flow."

Wanda Witch was right. She picked up her hand and couldn't believe her luck--nine Spades, solid except the 7, no Heart at all and just enough Clubs to beat her opponent. Diamonds were unmentionables, which made her think her Spadex was feeling a little too tight. She opened two clubs, her partner Jack Decker bid two diamonds, and she dropped the four spades bid. Jack sat there like a Zombie for a while then he added to the magic with six.

Dorita Diamond led her Heart Ace, disappointed that Blackwood didn't get to use his bidding expertise. Wanda ruffed and knew she would have to use some magic to pull this one off. She had Qxx of clubs with Axx on the board, along with KQ of Hearts. Aha! She led a low trump to Decker's 7, which of course held, played the top two hearts and sloughed a diamond and club from her hand. Then she played a reverse finesse for the club King, which Blackwood won. What he led didn't matter. So Wanda claimed and made a Coven-ant that she would play with Jack again.

Dorita was so catty. She Sacrificed her pride and told Easley that even though she hated these computer hands, she had a Devil of a time. Wanda didn't know Witch side of her mouth to smile out of as she glanced over at Snuffy and winked. She knew D. Rector wouldn't let Snuffy get away with anything to ruin her chance for a top board.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-27, 00:12

From BBOer gimby33

Beginner's Luck

It was the night before Halloween , and the whole house at 13 Bridge Street was decorated for the big event . Spiderwebs covered the old front porch and a huge jack o' lantern was ready to be lit inside the front bay window . The delicious smells of hot cider on the stove , and gingerbread cookies baking , filled all the old rooms , halls and stairways . Warren , 13 years old that very day , was up in his room in the gable , reading spooky story books he'd just received for his birthday , when he heard his Mom , Puppetina , call up the stairs , " Come down now Jack , dear , our guests will be here soon ! " Oh , groaned Warren , ye olde Bridge game , I forgot . " Be right there , Mom , " he called back . His Aunt Gerbera , who had a weak heart , and his Uncle Stayman , who had strong hands , were on their way over for the traditional weekly game . His Dad , Jacob , was already in the parlour setting up the table and chairs .

Just then the telephone in the hallway rang , and Warren ran to answer it . "I've got it , Mom ." " Hello " he said . "Oh , Hello Jack ," It was his aunt . "Is your Mom there, I've got some disappointing news , your uncle isn't well , and we won't be able to come over for our game . " "Oh , how awful , I 'm sorry . " " Mom , guess what ? " " Yes , I heard , " replied Puppetina , how 'bout if you fill in as our Fourth , Jack , you can play well enough . " " OK , Mom " agreed Jack , " I'll tell Aunt Gerbera the game is still on ." Jack was ecstatic to be asked to fill in , mainly because he loved all the snacks , especially Bridge Mix and Licorice Allsorts , and goodies afterwards . Oh boy , I can't wait , he grinned , making his way into the parlour . " Hi , Dad , guess what ?" "What's that , son ," answered his dad , looking for the lucky decks of cards . " I'm going to be your Bridge partner tonight ! " "How about that , and the ladies will be our most worthy opponents , then ? " " Right ," agreed Jack , " where should I sit ? " " Right here , replied Jacob , indicating the chair next to fireplace , opposite the large mirror . "We 'll let the ladies have the window views . " Perfect ! "

In no time , the game was in full swing , and Jack managed to hold his own , by either passing or being dummy . The thirteen cards and the four suits made his head swim at times , but with a little bit of prompting , he played passably well . After all how was he to learn without some help , agreed his aunt , after he asked if the 3 Clubs bid was in order . While being dummy , for the fourth or fifth time . and after most of the candies had mysteriously disappeared , mostly due to Jack's indulgence , his gaze wandered over to the large shiny windows . He loved the way the branches tapped against the panes , and how the fallen leaves skittered down the street . The middle window was open , since it was still mild , and he heard the neighbourhood dogs barking at the full moon . What a perfect night , thought Jack to himself , I hope it's exactly the same for tomorrow . He also noticed how the room was reflected in the windows , as the lace curtains were drawn aside .

" Last round , " proclaimed his dad . " I 'll put the kettle on , " his mom said , " and bring in our goodies . I've made gingerbread cookies in the shape of hearts , spades , diamonds and clubs , special for tonight ." " Oh , goody ! " exclaimed Aunt Gerbera , " I'll help you ! " And off they went into the kitchen . "Well , Jack , you're doing well ,but it's time we dealed ourselves a Slam to even up the score . The ladies are creaming us ! " " A Slam ? " Jack had heard the term before but had never played one yet . " Right ," said Jacob , a perfect end to a perfect day ." His Mom and her sister were back fussing around the parlour table with a fancy orange coloured embroidered tea cloth , with outlines of witches , ghosts and goblins stitched into the corners . " How precious " exclaimed his aunt . "Yes ," smiled his mom . " Remember this ? Our mom handmade this many years ago for her Bridge parties . I just came upon it this afternoon , tucked away in the linen closet . And , in honour of mom , and Jack 's birthday , we're going to use it along with the good china too , for our tea and hot cider ." Wow , thought Jack , a double whammy , I better not drop anything or spill something tonight , for sure . He was getting a little sleepy , and thought he saw something swoop back and forth past the big windows . " What is it , Jack ," asked his dad , looking towards the reflections in the window . He took in the scene and winked at Jack . " We'll play our Trick a day early , before we have our Treats ! " he whispered to Jack .

" OK , ladies , last hand ! You can wrap up Stayman's treats later . Here we go ." Jack watched his dad deal the last hand of the evening . Help , he said to himself , carefully counting up 22 points . I remember . " 2 clubs " he bid , trying not to look too excited . His dad replied , 6 Spades , and the ladies passed . Wow , a Slam ! At last ! " Yes, Jack a small slam . Why don't you come around here and play the hand , and I'll be the dummy . " " OK , here we go . " His mom led the ace of Hearts , and then the king , but Jack trumped it . " Good start , " agreed his dad . Jack stayed in control with all the right cards . Then there were only two cards left , and Jack was tired by then . What was led , he tried to think . Looking up , he saw the opponents' cards reflected in the windows . Oh I remember now . He looked across at his dad , who nodded , smiling all along . He won the last two tricks ! "You did it , way to go , son ! " " I am impressed , agreed Gerbera . "Wait till your uncle hears about this !" " Hooray , what a night , what a finish . Let's eat ! " exclaimed Jack . Just then he caught a glimpse of the big pumpkin sitting on it's stand in front of the window , and thought for sure that it gave him a big happy grin .

" Happy Birthday , Jack " they all called out , as Jack finally enjoyed the best part of the game , the goodies !

The End

#12 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 06:43

From BBOer Jmunday

Tricks for treats

The math teacher at Western High, Jack O'Lanter, started a summer bridge program for students in return for extra credit and for anyone else who might be interested. While Jack was not a top level player himself, he understood the fundamentals and had a knack for passing that and his passion for the game along to his students. When summer ended, he continued the lessons as an after-school program. Fall was well underway when Jack's favorite time of year rolled around -- Halloween! The holiday fell on a Saturday this year and he had big plans. Jack had an idea on how to combine his bridge class with Halloween. His students arrived to a classroom festooned with a big banner that read:

TRICKS FOR TREATS*

Lead: spade ten

He announced to the class the conditions of a single dummy problem (i.e., the opponents hands were unknown). The challenge was to guarantee 13 tricks in a contract of 7NT, regardless of the opponents distribution. Those that solved the problem would receive extra credit and a candy bonus under these conditions:

1) The students had to solve the problem at the Lanter home during Halloween;
2) The students had to wear a costume (one that required some effort);
3) The students could not solicit input from anyone not in the class.

On Halloween night, his students arrived. Most did not attempt to solve the problem. They just wanted to see the decorations and get free candy. Several, however, did give it a go.

First up was Janice Latimer dressed as Carrie, the telekinetic teen from the Stephen King novel. After seeing her line of play, Jack dubbed her "Cashing Carrie." She played quickly, cashing winners from the top. Spade ace and king, four hearts, three diamonds and three clubs. Neither minor behaved and the spade queen did not oblige, so Carrie finished one down.

Next up was Mike Wilson dressed up as one of the classics, Frankenstein's monster. Jack nicknamed him "Finessing Frankenstein" after watching the play. Mike stuck in the spade jack at trick one, chagrined to see it covered. He immediately saw another finesse to take and so cashed ace and king of diamonds and led a diamond to the ten. That lost to the jack and Mike was also down one.

Next up was one of Jack's top students, Darius Miles. In light of his tall stature, Darius dressed up as Bigfoot. As the play unfolded, Jack referred to him as "Squeezing Sasquatch." Darius played low on the spade ten and won with the spade king. He immediately cashed three diamonds, finding jack-fourth on his right. 4 rounds of hearts followed pitching 2 clubs from dummy (unblocking the T). He then tested clubs only to find LHO with four to the jack. His last chance was to play for the spade queen onside (which would now be singleton). when LHO followed low, he knew he was beaten. Lots of chances, but in the end, not a 100% line, and thus Darius was down one.

Jack began to worry that the problem was too advanced when a final contestant appeared. Jack did not recognize the student, who was dressed in the guise of Dracula. That was because Sara Wilson was not in Jack's class. She was Mike's 13-year old sister who had gone to a few of the summer classes. Sara's family played, and she was familiar with the game and took to it quickly. When brother Frankenstein brought the flyer with the contest home, Sara made a copy and spent the week pondering the problem. She thought she had the solution and was anxious to see if she was correct. After Sara started playing, Jack smiled and happily thought of her as "Counting Dracula."

Sara realized that the diamond ten and spade jack were red herrings. The contract could be made simply by bringing in the club suit. It was just a matter of determining which defender could hold the club length. She set about getting a count on the hand. To that end she won the spade ace in dummy and then tested diamonds. As expected, four to the jack were on her right. She then cashed four hearts, throwing dummy's remaining spades. Then she cashed the spade king, throwing dummy's diamond ten. No matter what happened, she would succeed. If RHO still held the diamond jack, he could not hold four clubs and if he pitched it on the spade king, then she would have a count on three suits and play clubs accordingly. If LHO had held the diamond length, Dracula would play RHO for the club length (if LHO did have it, he would be squeezed when declarer cashed the majors).

It was a good lesson in logic for everyone and in the end, everyone who tried got extra credit and candy -- what better way to spend Halloween!

*The hand used in my story is not of my creation; I'm not sure who to credit for it though

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 14:13

From BBOer Abbydani

Halloween Individual: circa. 1853

The Halloween duplicates at the Goblin Club in Vienna, Austria usual brought out a motley crew. This night was no different. The giant room was filled with Frankenstein costumes, witches & their brooms, and a myriad of ghoulish attire. Some players even appeared to be real monsters (without even donning costumes.)

As I sat down to compete in the individual event (you partnered a new monster on each board) I was slightly apprehensive. The advertisement had stated "experts only", but you never knew who would land opposite you.

I felt that I had played quite well that evening, gathering several tops along the way, but it was a true crap shoot, and one could never be too certain. I flashed a timid smile as a big brute of a man (if you could call a person with a spike protruding from his forehead, a man), took his seat opposite me. He grunted almost inaudibly, or rather he hissed:

"I am Igor. Stayman and Blackwood, K.I.S.S., you scrawny human! I have a good game going, don't mess it up!"

It took a few moments to register that he didn't want to kiss me, but rather I should "keep it simple, stupid" and I was the stupid one.

I pulled my cards from the skull (there were no boards back then), and looked at a fine collection. Using the "simple" high card method I noted 17 HCP's. The nice holdings might make some upgrade for a 2nt rebid, but I opted for a simple 1nt opening. Left hand monster passed & partner boomed "three No TRUMP!!!"…almost daring the three of us to make another call. Three QUICK passes followed.

Lefty led the club ace, most violently. (I remembered reading long ago that on auctions 1nt-3nt you should lead a major, but what did I know?)

My monster, or rather my partner tabled:

As I perused the dummy, my first thought was, Igor will not kill me because the contract was safe. Then my second thought was: this is matchpoints, I better take as many tricks as possible or Igor might slam his spike into MY brain. The third thought was: I could engineer to take the last trick with the "beer card"!!! Yes, if you win the last trick in a non-diamond contract with the 7 of diamonds, your partner owes you a beer. I shook my head and thought: fat chance Igor buys me a beer!!!

After LHO won the ace of clubs, at trick 2 he/or was it a she, shifted to a spade. Things were looking up. Already I counted 5 diamonds,3 spades, 2 clubs and the ace of hearts for a guaranteed 11 tricks.

I had to look for a 12th trick, and perhaps save my hide in the process.

I paused for thought: if spades were 3-3 I had 12 tricks (4 spades, 1 heart, 5 diamonds & 2 clubs.) If the heart king was with righty I also had 12 tricks. I would also love to take the last trick with the 7 of diamonds…

There was one other option I saw: a Vienna Coup. Perhaps one opponent had the heart king and 4 or more spades. Then that opponent would not be able to keep all those cards when I ran the clubs & diamonds. If I tried for this line of play, I would lose my beer. Not only that, if the heart king was onside and I played for this fancy "Vienna Coup" and I only made 11 tricks, then Igor might give me the spike!!!

I took a deep breath & decided to put righty to the test. On the spade shift, righty played the queen & I won it with the ace.I crossed to the club king. I then crossed back to my hand with the diamond ace& played only 3 rounds of diamonds ending in dummy.

I now peered over at righty, who didn't strike me as a great player. I called for the heart queen, trying to induce a cover. Righty played low smoothly. I was at the crossroads… I decided that righty would have covered with the king, so no use taking a losing finesse. I rose with the heart ace (the Vienna Coup!!! Don't forget we were in the Goblin club in Vienna, Austria.) I cashed the club queen pitching a useless heart from dummy. I next crossed todummy with the spade king.

I previously did not run all my diamonds because I would squeeze my hand prematurely. I now proceeded to cash the two good diamonds in dummy & threw the hearts from my hand.
On the last diamond, lefty threw the 10 of spades & I smiled to myself. Now my two spades in my hand were good & I could take 12 tricks for a tie for top!!! Alas, I gave up my possible treat (the beercard) to win more tricks.

After the game was over, Igor approached me with a huge grinon his ghastly face & a beer bottle in his hand. He slapped me on the backwhich made me lurch forward 10 feet across the room. Igor said: "Thanks to you I won & you came second!!!" He then proceeded to drain the bottle with one enormous swallow. (Was I foolish to think the beer was for me???!?!?!?)

Why take a simple finesse, or try to win a beer, when a Vienna Coup can be pulled off in Vienna?

The moral of the story:

Take more tricks; don't try to earn treats…

#14 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 16:20

From BBOer cme23 (Carolyn Morgan)

A Halloween Tale

Twas the annual preHalloween Specters Bridge Tournament. At the last hand in the last round, The Werewolves were ahead by a mere 4 IMPs. Their round was complete, but there was one table left with one hand yet to bid and play. Dracula and his bride held the second place score, behind by 4 IMPs. The zombie bride and her ghostly partner were behind by 9 IMPs, how could they advance?

The hand was dealt by the ghost. Her cards were carefully arranged in the card holder by her skeletal helper. Shoving the last card in with much force, a bone fell in front of the holder.

“Imbecile,” the ghost rebuked. With his other hand, the skeleton colllected the small bone and stepped back from the table.

“One spade,” bid the ghost. Dracula’s bride passed.

“Three no trump,” bid the zombie. Dracula passed.

“Four spades,” rebid the ghost.

In a surprising move the zombie bid seven no trump.

Dracula considered his cards: he held two kings. Surely he sat behind the zombie’s aces with his kings. But, with the ghosts rebid of spades, perhaps he had a void. What to do : what to do. His opponents were not vulnerable. A set of one trick would only yield one IMP, doubled it would yield only two points. If the zombie had overbid, two tricks set and doubled would push him into the lead. Dracula did so love to win.

“Double,” Dracula bid. All pass.

The skeleton stepped back up to the table and arranged the dummy hand carefully.
It held 7 spades with 150 honors, three hearts to the Q and three diamonds to the Q. Clubs were void. Dracula allowed himself an inner smile: he held the K of hearts and the K of diamonds. Two tricks down was unavoidable.

Dracula carefully led a small spade.

The zombie lead the two top trump: when all followed suit, she thanked her opponents: Dracula gave her a small smile. She lead the Queen of diamonds, and when Dracula’s bride played small, she overtook with the A of diamonds. Then, she led the A, K, and Q of clubs sluffing two diamonds and a heart: when the J of clubs failed to appear, she shrugged philosophically. She ruffed the 4th club and Dracula played out, leaving his bride with the J of clubs unplayed. Dracula gave his bride a smile, and she winked in return.

So, the Zombie led the heart Q for the finesse, losing to Dracula’s K of hearts. The diamond king was ruffed from the dummy and the Zombie held the J of hearts for the last of the dummy’s heart. The contract was down one trick, doubled.

“How could you bid seven no trump?” the ghost stormed, “missing two kings. Are you mad?”

“Well, I knew that we were down 9 IMPs and that Dracula would surely double 7 no trump: he likes to win. I like to win myself.” If the werewolves had played the had at 3 no trump or 4 spades, and we made 7 no trump, doubled, we would surge into the lead.” You could have been void in the suit of one of Drac’s K’s. Or, the K’s could have been split so that the finesse would work. I gambled. I lost.”

“We lost,” grumbled the ghost.

“Perhaps you won, dear,” replied the Zombie sweetly. “You must be a ghost because you are far too attached to the outcome of bridge. With this knowledge, you may be able to go to the light.”

This post has been edited by barmar: 2012-October-31, 14:03
Reason for edit: "bridge"->"bride" in a few places.

#15 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-30, 06:30

How do you ruff playing 7NT?

#16 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 08:09

View PostAntrax, on 2012-October-30, 06:30, said:

How do you ruff playing 7NT?

Anything is possible on Halloween.

#17 User is offline   Phineas1 

• Pip

Posted 2012-October-30, 11:13

The tale of the Haunted Bridge Farmhouse

The wind carried the fallen leaves across the ground and over the old wooden bridge that connected road to the old colonial farmhouse. The shutters slammed incessantly with the breezy gusts. There were no signs that the house was inhabited, except for the carved jack o lanterns that lined the old rickety bridge. They each had a candle burning within which cast eerie shadows of a laughing faces across the bridge walkway.

I pulled up the collar of my jacket tightly around my ears determined to stop the wind from circling around my neck and sending frigid chills down my spine. This place gave me the heebie jeebies but I could not turn back now, this was the only house within miles, and the taxi that dropped me off left with spinning wheels immediately after I shut its door.

I was there alone, in the dark, with only the howling breeze and slamming shutters echoing in the distance, with my first step on to the dilapidated bridge a deep and evil moaning voice whispered “heeeeaaarrrttt”.

I stepped back on the dirt path and evaluated the bridge, surely, it was my racing imagination, again I stepped forward and again the voice said “heeeeaaarrrttt”. I gulped, surely the bridge was not speaking to me, it had to be just an eerie coincident. My heart was pounding and I looked back the way I came, not even the taxis taillights were visible.

With all the courage I could muster, I again took a step onto the old wooden bridge, a different voice this time, but still as creepy said “weeee neeed aaaaa hhheeeaaaarrtt”. I froze in my tracks, what in the world was I hearing. I looked closely at the carved pumpkins edging the bridge; surely, the voices were not coming from the carved heads.

Slowly I took one more step, and ancient bridge moaned under my weight, which by far more comforting then the voices I thought I was hearing. I continued with another step, when to my surprise a deep guttural sound echoed “uuusssee yyyyoouurr cccclllluuub”. The hair stood up on the back of my neck and froze waiting for a club to materialize and knock me to the ground, but all was quiet and I was intact.

I took a deep breath and slowly moved forward with one more step, the voice again “uuussssee yyyyoooouuuurrrr ssssppppaaaaddddeee”, I was petrified at what I was hearing, “ccclllobbberrr ttthhheeemmm with yyyooouuurrr sssppaadddeee” I had heard enough, I ran as fast as my feet could carry me up the old dirt path I flew.

Breathless I hurried past the gnarly roots of the aged oak trees that lined the walk, and up the stairs of the farmhouse porch. I stopped shortly to take a deep breath, and the voices seemed to follow behind me, they were now louder and closer. “IIIIII tttoolllddd yyyouuuu tooooo useeee the spaaade”.

Terrified I rushed the front door and banged furiously for help and relief from this creepy experience, dislodging a wooden sign that fell to my feet with a loud bang, which made me jump. I picked up the wooden sign in hopes of using it as a weapon if necessary, but the voices stopped. In the moonlight I could make out writing on the sign, it read, ‘Welcome, beginning bridge classes underway, please come in…..

The End

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-31, 00:48

The contest is closed now,. You can vote for your favourite story here:

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1357

#19 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 05:25

The winners have been determined:

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1363

Thanks again to all those who wrote and commented.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users