• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

would u bid 1nt??

#1 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2012-October-07, 09:36

was watching this on viewgraph. i wondered if anyone would bid 1nt on the north hand (2 nt) i think
many woud overcall 1nt on the south hand. of course some will say this is resulting cause it makes 3n from
north or south but im really just curious about 1nt versus the 4 card spades to the jack.

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-07, 09:56

Opposite a partner who would perpetrate a T/O double with the South hand, I have no idea what advance should be made by North. Opposite my partner, 2S feels about right.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   GHS_K_Chow 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-07, 11:17

I would bid 1NT over a minor with Qx or Jxx.
It's an obvious bid for me. It shows the shape, the stopper (Qxx), and the point range. Whether or not you play systems on, you should be able to find 3N.

Systems on: stayman, 3N
Systems off: cuebid, 3N.

#4 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2012-October-07, 11:32

when u know where most of the points are the play becomes a lot easier. on this hand you maybe have a double stopper with the aj of diamonds. i would bid 1nt in preference to bidding the 4 spades to the jack. with my regular parter we play that shows 8 to 10 pts. but im thinking maybe this hand is worth a 2nt bid. btw is partner has an unbalanced hand he will bid it. anyhow im trying to find out what agreements people are playing especially as far as points are concerned (if u bid nt)

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-07, 11:43

It is a natural phenomenon that problems like this go away, or don't occur at all, if we change our mindset just a wee bit.

Ask ourselves what to do with a NT opener when righty opens 1m. Then ask ourselves what we would do with the other hand if partner showed a NT opener. Then all the guesswork about what this North should have done on this occasion evaporate.

Create a bunch of hands where pard actually has a takeout double, and then I would guess that a 2S advance would be a good idea, and a 1NT advance might work but would be considered overthinking or masterminding.

#6 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-October-07, 12:38

I don't quite like South's pass over 2. Playing teams it's quite normal to bid 2 with north's hand. I think I prefer 1NT instead of double with South's.

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#7 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-October-07, 20:58

North should bid 2 - four-four in the majors, or a good hand (~9+ HCP) that is not sure where to play. 2 should be saved for the medium hand (~9-11 HCP) that is pretty sure it wants to play in spades (i.e. five spades, or four spades and two or fewer hearts).

South will then bid 2, and North will bid 2, showing the good hand that is not sure where to play, with four spades. South then knows game is on, and perhaps bids 3, over which North bids 3NT. If North did not have a diamond stopper, he could bid 3 over 3 (showing three) and if South had five he could raise to 4. If South did not have five hearts he will just have to bid 3NT and hope diamonds break, or that the partnership has a combined stopper.

Personally, I would bid 1NT over a 1-opener with a balanced 16-18 HCP whether or not I have a stopper, and partner has a responsibility to check before bidding 3NT if he doesn't have a stopper himself. There is lots of room between 1NT and 3NT for that :)
I Transfers

#8 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 00:55

Wouldn't think of doubling with South's hand, I would bid 1NT instead.

N's bid of 2 after the double looks reasonable.
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#9 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-October-08, 08:04

1. I would bid 1 NT with the south hand but, it is not too close.
2. I do not know, what 2 Spade after the double shows for you, the styles are very different. But it surely is not passable if you hold the south hand (2 would show 8-10 for me, but I know enough people who play it even stronger. If you have no rebid now for a hand like yours- you better had not doubled but bid 1 NT.
3. 1 NT is a good alternative to 2 for North. This hand screams NT- but surely 2 is not wrong either. Give South Kxxx,KQxx,x,KQxx or another typical take out double and I would prefer to play in spades.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 08:31

View PostHanoi5, on 2012-October-07, 12:38, said:

I don't quite like South's pass over 2.

I will go further to say that south's failure to bid again is a clear blunder. Apparently south is one of those players who need a granite solid double stopper to bid NT after opponents bid a suit, and view Qxx as the same as xx.

North could reasonably bid NT instead of , but there is nothing wrong with the call he chose, and this does not excuse south's timidity.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 14:09

Is this an obvious takeout double or a 1nt bid?

#12 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-October-08, 16:03

Your example looks like a clear double for me.
Opponents suit is 5+ cards compared to 3+ cards.
You have one card less in their suit.
You have 4 cards in all unbid majors, at least three cards in each unbid suit.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-08, 16:16

The OP said this was seen on Vugraph. Who makes it to a vugraph event and bids like South? Double vs 1NT in the first round is a judgement call, but passing 2 seems like a beginner error.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-October-08, 22:29

To me everyhand that is in my 1 NT overcall range and has a stopper in their suit, regardless of how flawed my stopper is, should start with 1NT that includes the hands where my shape is also good for T/O dbl.

Basically when i start with a take out dbl, i can not have a balanced 1NT hand + a stopper in their suit. This made my life so easy so many times that i can live with playing from wrongside or playing wrong partscore now and then.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 00:16

View PostMrAce, on 2012-October-08, 22:29, said:

To me everyhand that is in my 1 NT overcall range and has a stopper in their suit, regardless of how flawed my stopper is, should start with 1NT that includes the hands where my shape is also good for T/O dbl.

Basically when i start with a take out dbl, i can not have a balanced 1NT hand + a stopper in their suit. This made my life so easy so many times that i can live with playing from wrongside or playing wrong partscore now and then.

Oh conflicting opinions, now I must have more input!

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-09, 01:22

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-October-09, 00:16, said:

Oh conflicting opinions, now I must have more input!

O.K. here is mine: The hand you postulated in post #11 is a takeout double of 1. Add a heart in place of a minor-suit x, and it is a NT overcall. The strength of your spade suit in that example is just a red herring. The points could be anywhere.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-09, 02:02

On dwar's hand my clear first choice would be X. That is not to say that 1NT (or 1 for that matter) is wrong, it is just not my style. On the OP hand, I do prefer 1NT though. These situations do not appear at all similar for the reasons Roland already gave.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 10:10

Thanks, 3-1 for double. In the actual hand I bid nt and lho bid 2 passed back to me. I doubled and it got passed out. Down 1 for a zero when we make 3 spades.

Partner had 4 spades but thought they were in a 5-2 fit, figuring I had better hearts and thought we could set them two.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-09, 10:16

Interesting, Dwar. I assumed you created that hand to counter Timo's contention about his NT overcalls and that the question was rhetorical. If it were given as an actual poll, I strongly suspect a margin much greater than 3-1 for the double.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users