• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 13:05

3rd seat a star opened 1n with:
J105
KJ98
KQ1054
K
His pd bid 3N with 11HCP, with correct defence it would fail, after hand is finished I called the TD. No adjustments made since opps claimed their range is 14-17 and all bids were natural. Would you agree?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-October-05, 13:19

Yes, I would agree with the fact that no adjustments were to be made.

A player may make any bid that he chooses to make as long as his partner has no knowledge that the bid means anything other than what they have agreed as the meaning for the bid. Here, the opening bidder opened 1NT, promising 14-17 and a balanced or semi-balanced hand (typical NT distribution). His partner, with a normal raise to 3NT, bid 3NT. There is no problem. In fact, if responder bid anything other than 3NT with his 11 count that would be a problem, as 3NT is the normal call for an 11 count (I am assuming that responder's hand was suitable for NT and that there was no need to bid Stayman or anything else).

Saying that all of the bids were natural might not be quite right. It would be better to say that none of the bids was conventional. But this is quibbling. The fact that the meaning of the 1NT bid and the hand do not match is not an offense.

Had you found the "correct" defense, as you put it, no doubt you would have scored quite well. But the opener fooled you and he won. That is part of the game.

As to your original question in the heading "Is 1NT right?" That is an entirely different question. I suspect that very few players would open this hand with a 14-17 1NT opening. That doesn't mean that it is wrong to open 1NT with this hand, just that very few players would choose to do so. It is usually wrong to open 1NT with a singleton, and there is no doubt that this hand is light for a 14-17 HCP 1NT opening bid.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 13:21

With the hcp out of range, a stiff honor, and a perfectly good alternative (1), I would consider this 1NT bid as a substantial distortion that almost, but not quite, reaches the level of a mild psyche. Either way, I don't see any basis for a score adjustment, unless there is more to the story.

View PostArtK78, on 2012-October-05, 13:19, said:

Had you found the "correct" defense, as you put it, you would have no doubt scored quite well.

... and quite likely, would have had no complaint. The ball bounces both ways.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 13:27

He has 13 with a good 5-card suit and good spot cards. There is nothing wrong with him wanting to call it 14. He also has a singleton king and a slightly awkward rebid after 1 - 1. There is nothing wrong with judging to open 1NT for those reasons. Frankly I don't see the problem here. His bidding would obviously not be a majority choice but who cares?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 13:33

If they are allowed to open 1N with a singleton and have the agreement to do so, depending on jurisdiction they might have been supposed to declare it to you. If you might have found a better lead/defense if you knew that was a possibility is the only possible grounds for an adjustment. (unless they have no agreement to do so but plenty of previous for having done so, particularly if it's not legal). In the UK I'd get it recorded as a psyche if their convention card didn't say they opened 1N with a singleton to build up the body of evidence.

#6 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 16:35

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-October-05, 13:33, said:

If they are allowed to open 1N with a singleton and have the agreement to do so, depending on jurisdiction they might have been supposed to declare it to you. If you might have found a better lead/defense if you knew that was a possibility is the only possible grounds for an adjustment. (unless they have no agreement to do so but plenty of previous for having done so, particularly if it's not legal). In the UK I'd get it recorded as a psyche if their convention card didn't say they opened 1N with a singleton to build up the body of evidence.

How can this possibly be considered a psyche? If I play 5 card majors, and decide sometime to open a 4 card major instead, is that a psyche? I understand (and fully support) full disclosure of agreements (implicit or explicit), but I don't support calling something a psyche that is obviously just different bridge judgement than yours. Is there any evidence at all that they have the agreement to open 1nt with singleton high honors? Is there any evidence at all that they have a habit of doing this often enough to create an implicit agreement?

Slopes are not so slippery as some would wish them. A large part of bridge is judgement. I dearly wish the ACBL to allow a big red box on my woefully inadequate CC where I can check which states, "I don't always value my hand the same way you do. I don't always count my points the same way you do. I don't always follow the rule of ______ when evaluating my hand. On some hands, I'm going to be choosing amongst options that all look flawed. I falsecard on occasion -- I've been known to burn partner before. None of this is psyching. When I open 1h on a 4-1-4-4 2 count in third seat at favorable, that is a psyche (or 1nt on a 2-2-2-7 bust). "
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-05, 17:42

View Posttrevahound, on 2012-October-05, 16:35, said:

How can this possibly be considered a psyche? If I play 5 card majors, and decide sometime to open a 4 card major instead, is that a psyche? I understand (and fully support) full disclosure of agreements (implicit or explicit), but I don't support calling something a psyche that is obviously just different bridge judgement than yours. Is there any evidence at all that they have the agreement to open 1nt with singleton high honors? Is there any evidence at all that they have a habit of doing this often enough to create an implicit agreement?

Slopes are not so slippery as some would wish them. A large part of bridge is judgement. I dearly wish the ACBL to allow a big red box on my woefully inadequate CC where I can check which states, "I don't always value my hand the same way you do. I don't always count my points the same way you do. I don't always follow the rule of ______ when evaluating my hand. On some hands, I'm going to be choosing amongst options that all look flawed. I falsecard on occasion -- I've been known to burn partner before. None of this is psyching. When I open 1h on a 4-1-4-4 2 count in third seat at favorable, that is a psyche (or 1nt on a 2-2-2-7 bust). "

As I said it's jurisdiction dependent. In some places I suspect it's still illegal to agree to open 1N with a singleton. If you and your partner would always open 1N in 3rd seat with this hand, then you have an illegal implicit agreement. How do you get caught ? well usually you don't, but opps reporting it as a psyche is the only way you ever will be caught.

Btw I'm not shy about bending definitions of bids or upgrading/downgrading, but I have a reasonably good idea when partner and I have something on our cards that we need to amend due to bending too often, hence why our weak 2s are listed on the card as 4+ cards rather than 5.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-October-05, 20:49

This is a classic NT hand these days (rebid problem and stiff K). Its marginally light.

Welcome to the big game.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 22:02

Weird... this hand appears to have been played in tournament #6611, which was a 23-table pairs game with 5 rounds of 3 boards each. All of the boards appear to have been completed, but the tournament results are nowhere to be found. What's up with that?

http://online.bridge...sername=ksk2005

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-October-06, 00:33

1NT is a creative bid, but it's allowed. There's no reason for adjustment.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 14:52

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-October-05, 22:02, said:

Weird... this hand appears to have been played in tournament #6611, which was a 23-table pairs game with 5 rounds of 3 boards each. All of the boards appear to have been completed, but the tournament results are nowhere to be found. What's up with that?

http://online.bridge...sername=ksk2005

3NT can not be beaten. Star's hand evaluation (lots of intermediates) can not have been that bad, though he found a nice fitting dummy.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 19:29

North made a bizarre duck of the A and wants some point back for no reason whatsoever.

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-October-07, 05:09

View Postrhm, on 2012-October-06, 14:52, said:

3NT can not be beaten. Star's hand evaluation (lots of intermediates) can not have been that bad, though he found a nice fitting dummy.

Rainer Herrmann

When you get a favourable layout of the opposing hands, do you really fancy making it with either Q and A of spades swapped, or a third club in the south hand.

#14 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-07, 06:12

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-October-07, 05:09, said:

When you get a favourable layout of the opposing hands, do you really fancy making it with either Q and A of spades swapped, or a third club in the south hand.

I do.
I have a clear path to 9 tricks, (2 clubs, 4 diamonds, 2 hearts and one spade).
I am not claiming that there will never be a double dummy defense to defeat 3NT, but I like my chances opposite this dummy.
I doubt that the outcome would have been different single dummy with your proposed changes.

Rainer Herrmann

#15 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-October-07, 08:41

Perhaps suppose, just for supposing, the opening lead is a heart to the Q. I suppose the next play is a diamond to the king. Let's further suppose that North has managed to discourage a heart continuation either by his play at T1 or by a Smith card at T2. Perhaps S takes this first diamond and returns a diamond, letting declarer figure it out. With the ten of hearts falling, the hand can be made. But will it be? Seems to me that declarer has a choice of not very attractive plays. Playing even one more heart will not work well if S started with ATxxx and N has an entry.

Anyway, I am fine with the bidding. No objection if my partner does it, no objection if my opponents do it. It appears to me that the hand might be beaten if NS play double dummy and E just gets to look at his own cards and dummy's But that doesn't affect my view of the bidding. It's fine.
Ken

#16 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-October-07, 09:50

EW have a 9-card fit, a combined 24-count at at least 1.5 stops in every suit. Getting to 3NT is hardly a surprise, whatever opening bid is chosen by East.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-07, 16:01

With less "creative" bidding, the auction probably would have gone:

1 2(inv)
2 2NT
3NT AP

Or if South overcalls:

1 (1) 2 (P)
2NT or 3NT

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-08, 05:35

How can this possibly be considered a psyche? If I play 5 card majors, and decide sometime to open a 4 card major instead, is that a psyche?

Well yes, it might well be. Certainly if your partner would not consider it a psyche then they should disclose the possibility to the opponents.

I understand (and fully support) full disclosure of agreements (implicit or explicit), but I don't support calling something a psyche that is obviously just different bridge judgement than yours.

I honestly do not get this - it seems to come from the school that thinks psyching is something bad. If you make a bid it either falls within your agreements (normal); accidentally falls outside your agreements (misbid); deliberately falls outside your agreements (psyche); or falls within expectation but outside of [given] agreements (misinformation). Only the last of these is a problem.

Is there any evidence at all that they have the agreement to open 1nt with singleton high honors? Is there any evidence at all that they have a habit of doing this often enough to create an implicit agreement?

I do not know - surely it is the TD's job to ask the pair involved. Do you have any evidence that they do not have such an (implicit) agreement?

Slopes are not so slippery as some would wish them. A large part of bridge is judgement.

A large part of bridge is also disclosure.

I dearly wish the ACBL <snip>

What has the ACBL got to do with this?
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 06:29

View PostPhil, on 2012-October-05, 20:49, said:

This is a classic NT hand these days (rebid problem and stiff K). Its marginally light.

Welcome to the big game.

What's the big rebid problem? After 1 - 1, I can rebid 1NT, 2, or 2. None of these are perfect, but to me they seem like smaller distortions than opening 1NT. But perhaps this is normal in expert games these days, I would not know.

View Postkenberg, on 2012-October-07, 08:41, said:

Anyway, I am fine with the bidding. No objection if my partner does it, no objection if my opponents do it.

Sure, no problem for me either. But I would definitely remember it, which leads to:

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-October-08, 05:35, said:

A large part of bridge is also disclosure.

If my partner (or these opponents) do this even once more, it is an undisclosed agreement.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 06:58

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-October-08, 05:35, said:

I honestly do not get this - it seems to come from the school that thinks psyching is something bad. If you make a bid it either falls within your agreements (normal); accidentally falls outside your agreements (misbid); deliberately falls outside your agreements (psyche); or falls within expectation but outside of [given] agreements (misinformation). Only the last of these is a problem.

It may also come from the school that thinks that a psyche is a gross (and deliberate) misdescription of the hand. Opening 1 with a four card suit and otherwise opening values when you have agreed that 1 shows five is a deviation from system, but it is not a psyche because it is not a gross misdescription of the hand.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook