• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nearly appealed

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-November-08, 18:41

2H by your agreements is an intermediate jump overcall at these colours. Before making the negative double, East asks and is told that the jump overcall is weak.

The director ruled that 4H was suggested by the UI and as a result adjusted to 4D making.

I was asked to stay behind on the possibility of an appeal. Assuming no new evidence is brought other than those suggested by the facts given, what would you do as the AC?

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-November-08, 18:46

AWM
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-November-08, 18:53

Seems like a normal middle of the road ruling to me.

I can't imagine bidding 4 having described my hand perfectly with 2 the previous round and having nothing much extra assuming 13 points is roughly mid-range and having the bland 6322 shape.

Agree with Kathryn - AWM.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-08, 22:16

Why doesn't partner's extension of my "preempt" suggest that he has nothing much other than three trumps, and that I should therefore pass?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-November-09, 01:42

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-08, 22:16, said:

Why doesn't partner's extension of my "preempt" suggest that he has nothing much other than three trumps, and that I should therefore pass?

This is what you would normally do. But you have heard partner give misinformation, so doing anything other than passing appears to be taking advantage of that UI.

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-November-09, 01:58

I'd want to know the response structure to 2 - whether that bid made partner captain, and his bid was non-invitational/non-constructive in nature, or whether it was a constructive bid that invited partner to bid again with a suitable hand. I'd also want to know how the partnership defined intermediate at this vulnerability - the way I define it when I play intermediate, this is a near max. For others, this might be a near minimum or middle-of-the-road hand.
Chris Gibson

#7 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-November-09, 02:38

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-November-09, 01:58, said:

I'd want to know the response structure to 2 - whether that bid made partner captain, and his bid was non-invitational/non-constructive in nature, or whether it was a constructive bid that invited partner to bid again with a suitable hand. I'd also want to know how the partnership defined intermediate at this vulnerability - the way I define it when I play intermediate, this is a near max. For others, this might be a near minimum or middle-of-the-road hand.

Partner is a passed hand. If this is a strong partnership then I expect that the bid is actually quite wide-ranging but would not be made on many hands where you expect to make game. If it is a weaker partnership then I would not expect them to have discussed a response structure in this situation.

"Keep the deposit" is (or should be) the UK equivalent of AWM.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 03:18

View Postpaulg, on 2012-November-09, 02:38, said:

Partner is a passed hand. If this is a strong partnership then I expect that the bid is actually quite wide-ranging but would not be made on many hands where you expect to make game. If it is a weaker partnership then I would not expect them to have discussed a response structure in this situation.

"Keep the deposit" is (or should be) the UK equivalent of AWM.

If the raise is completely non constructive as I would expect (you have 2N/3 potentially for better raises), you are not invited to bid 4 whether you are minimum or maximum unless you have something wholly exceptional. If partner had explained your bid as intermediate, would you have considered your hand exceptional ? I think it does have less defence than you will often hold, but it's not strange enough to bid, so the adjustment is right. I think this is obvious enough that you should keep the deposit.

If the raise is constructive, it's more awkward and depends what you consider intermediate, but you have no extra shape, and unless you're towards the top end of your range, it's difficult to justify bidding. If you're bottom end of intermediate, keep the deposit.

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 03:56

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-November-09, 01:58, said:

For starters: The OP asked for a reply to the question: Assuming no new evidence is brought other than those suggested by the facts given, what would you do as the AC? A response structure is new evidence.

Having said that, it can hardly matter what the response structure is. No matter how you play intermediate jump overcalls, this hand will never be a clear accept of an invitational 3 (if it would be invitational, which it shouldn't be). Pass will always be either the clear call to make or at least an LA.

Only when the 4 bidder comes with a system book showing that 3 is GF, even by a passed hand, he will get off the hook. This is an easy AWM.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-09, 05:37

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-09, 03:56, said:

For starters: The OP asked for a reply to the question: Assuming no new evidence is brought other than those suggested by the facts given, what would you do as the AC? A response structure is new evidence.

Having said that, it can hardly matter what the response structure is. No matter how you play intermediate jump overcalls, this hand will never be a clear accept of an invitational 3 (if it would be invitational, which it shouldn't be). Pass will always be either the clear call to make or at least an LA.

Only when the 4 bidder comes with a system book showing that 3 is GF, even by a passed hand, he will get off the hook. This is an easy AWM.

Rik

I've seen people say "intermediate" meaning 9-12 in which case this is an accept of an invitational 3, but it would be unusual. Game is unlikely to be good although going -100 against 130 is quite likely if you don't think opps will double. Unfortunately with a passed hand opposite a WJO, they really should double and will get it back if it's wrong.

I don't think you can rule definitively without new evidence, but if it's not available, you have to rule AWM.

#11 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-09, 07:48

Keep the money seems obvious, but as others have said, it does rather depend on what Intermediate means. One of the reasons why the EBU and ACBL dislike names is that, unlike when I was younger when there was more belief in authority, these days people are much more inclined to use a name but then define it themselves. When I was a lad, Weak meant 4-10, Intermediate meant 11-15, Strong meant 16+. Nowadays people play Strong as 11-15, Intermediate as 6-12, and Weak as "Well, it depends on the vulnerability".
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#12 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 08:18

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-09, 07:48, said:

Keep the money seems obvious, but as others have said, it does rather depend on what Intermediate means. One of the reasons why the EBU and ACBL dislike names is that, unlike when I was younger when there was more belief in authority, these days people are much more inclined to use a name but then define it themselves. When I was a lad, Weak meant 4-10, Intermediate meant 11-15, Strong meant 16+. Nowadays people play Strong as 11-15, Intermediate as 6-12, and Weak as "Well, it depends on the vulnerability".

I think you'll find that the youth of today (myself included) have simply given up on ever holding a strong hand, so there's weak (nominally 5-10, but plausibly as low as 1 with 0 being a mere deviation) and intermediate (weak, but with scattered defensive values as well: something like QJ/QJxxxx/Kx/Kx).

If we ever pick up a 16-count or a solid suit, we bid game and hope. :)

#13 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-09, 08:59

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-November-09, 08:18, said:

I think you'll find that the youth of today (myself included) have simply given up on ever holding a strong hand, so there's weak (nominally 5-10, but plausibly as low as 1 with 0 being a mere deviation) and intermediate (weak, but with scattered defensive values as well: something like QJ/QJxxxx/Kx/Kx).

If we ever pick up a 16-count or a solid suit, we bid game and hope. :)

So do I, but nomenclature is the problem. Opponents may not play the same as you.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#14 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 10:56

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-09, 03:56, said:

Rik

Oh, you mean that you are having an appeal where the appeals committee cannot speak to the apellants? Whatever the OP meant by no new evidence, surely it did not mean that we could not clarify what their agreements are in relevant situations.

That being said, I'm sure it would be an AWM, but before handing them out, I want to really make sure I know what's going on, and how eggregious it was.
Chris Gibson

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-09, 17:12

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-November-09, 01:42, said:

This is what you would normally do. But you have heard partner give misinformation, so doing anything other than passing appears to be taking advantage of that UI.

The law includes the phrase "could demonstrably be suggested". So demonstrate it, please. It's not just "he has UI so he must pass".
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 19:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-09, 17:12, said:

The law includes the phrase "could demonstrably be suggested". So demonstrate it, please. It's not just "he has UI so he must pass".

3 over a weak 2 is potentially stronger than 3 over an intermediate 2. The UI suggests South may have underbid, which means North has more reason to continue to game than he otherwise would have.
Kaya!

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-09, 20:21

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-09, 07:48, said:

This one comes closest to my opinion for the given situation. But, obviously Dave is younger than I am.

I agree wholeheartedly that naming sucks. However, with respect to 1-suited hands --- for as long as I can remember, "intermediate" described a hand which (if allowed to do so) would open 1 of the suit and rebid 3 of that suit. This definition is not dependent on how the auction actually went; it is what I have always used when discussing methods to depict the hand quality and shape. That is my "historical perpective" on intermediate hands, and I am sticking with it at the tender age of 68.

The OP hand is so much below that, that I couldn't imagine any further action from North being lawful with the UI...and just plain being stupid without the UI.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 21:00

In one former partnership, we described intermediate as about an ace more than a weak 2 bid (aka, 9-14 tcp, 6+ is typical). And in another partnership I play it as 9-12. Another successful pair in our area plays it about 12-17 ish (approximation; I believe their exact definition is trick-based rather than HCP based - this hand would qualify.)

Intermediate really tends to mean better than weak and worse than strong, but that's so wide of a range to be practically useless. Whenever I hear someone describe their bid as intermediate, I immediately ask what they mean by intermediate - how they define it in terms of HCP or tricks.
Chris Gibson

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-09, 23:11

View Postsailoranch, on 2012-November-09, 19:48, said:

3 over a weak 2 is potentially stronger than 3 over an intermediate 2. The UI suggests South may have underbid, which means North has more reason to continue to game than he otherwise would have.

Again, you assert what the UI suggests, you do not demonstrate how it does so.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-10, 00:40

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-09, 23:11, said:

Again, you assert what the UI suggests, you do not demonstrate how it does so.

O.K. I will take a shot at that. And, I don't really know if we can use this logic: but, I sure would like to do so......2H bidder is told by his partner that he wants to raise a weak hand to 3; but, the 2H bidder doesn't have a weak hand. That is unauthorized information to the 2H bidder, and he used it to bid 4.

We disregard what 3H would have meant if partner knew what 2H meant, because partner told us differently and we used it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users