Page 1 of 1

Play of the hand

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-14, 22:49

Feel free to post any basic play of the hand tips here:

The older i get I seem to play worse.\

guys/gals feel free to offer basic tips that old fogeys such as me need to be reminded of.

did i just end a sentence with a pr......

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-15, 06:56

Every fancy play, and every basic play come down to this:

Count how many tricks are left; count how many tricks you need; count how many tricks are guaranteed. If you're short tricks, see where you can get more (be it finesse, knock out an ace, or other fancier plays). If you have the necessary tricks set up, see what can go wrong (enemy trump still left, blocked suit, lack of transportation to dummy, etc.) and take what actions you can to stop the danger.

The rest is commentary (it's hard, and a lifetime to learn and still screw up, but the above is the start to all card play, IMHO).
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-15, 07:07

You mean things like "third hand high" and "8 ever, 9 never"?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-15, 12:40

I think one key is to try always to step back at some point.....usually but not always in the middle of the play....and ask a specific question.

Most players ask themselves: 'what should I do?'

A better question, by far, is 'what is going on?'

You can't answer that question without thinking about the count, the known or suspected shape, and why the opps have done what they have done, be it a switch, or a count/attitude signal, discard, etc.

By taking time out to ask and then try to answer the 'what is going on' question, the player will usually find that he or she as actually answered the 'what should I do' question already or, if not, is only a short step away.

Of course, often times the 'what's going on?' answer is that you're going down! But you can't make every contract you bid...if you do, you are the world's worst underbidder.

credit should go to Brent Manley and Bob Hamman, since I first read this suggestion in Hamman's At the Table.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-15, 12:51

I often overlook the effectiveness of ducking the first trick in a suit. It helps in various situations, and is a key tool in declarer's toolbox, but it is kind of a blind spot for me.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-15, 13:37

View Postmike777, on 2012-October-14, 22:49, said:

did i just end a sentence with a pr......

Remove all knowledge of grammar from your brain - no one pays it any heed. Also, you might consider ditching second tier historical and geographical stuff that can be looked up on Wikipedia when necessary.

This will free up valuable spade for declarer play technique.

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-16, 15:35

In a trump contract that appears to be short on tricks, see if you can ruff in the hand with shorter trumps.
Wayne Somerville

#8 User is offline   MattieShoe 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-16, 16:21

And the important corollary to the above... If you won't be ruffing in the hand with less trump, you should probably lead out trump... Not always of course, but probably.

I think the other thing (particularly in MP) is to not be satisfied with just making your contract. Always try to (safely) squeeze out every last trick. If nothing else, it's good practice for when you NEED every last trick.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users