BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to Stayman with 4-4 majors - BBO Discussion Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to Stayman with 4-4 majors Alerting question

#81 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-03, 13:03

bluejak, on 2012-November-03, 08:05, said:

Does everyone bid hearts first? I bet they don't.

There may be the odd isolated example, but I must say that in twenty years I have never knowingly encountered a pair who have agreed to bid spades first.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#82 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-03, 14:54

Excuse me, nor have I in the last few years, and I have not suggested that.

I believe that a very large number of players in England either bid one at random or bid their stronger one. I do not believe a large number bid spades first nor did I say so.

When I was younger, of course, several did bid spades first because authorities recommended it.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#83 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 15:19

bluejak, on 2012-November-03, 14:54, said:

Excuse me, nor have I in the last few years, and I have not suggested that.

Actually you have, in your post #12 in reply to my post #4.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#84 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-03, 15:50

I see what you mean. I failed to write something in excruciating detail that I consdiered completely irrelevant.

Ok, it is true that in England most people do not agree to respond 2 with both. But since they do not agree which to respond that does not make it alertable.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#85 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 07:08

bluejak, on 2012-November-03, 15:50, said:

Ok, it is true that in England most people do not agree to respond 2 with both. But since they do not agree which to respond that does not make it alertable.

Are these two sentences meant to refer to the same people?

Those who agree to respond 2 should alert when they bid 2 and when they bid 2. Those who have other criteria (including randomness or strength) than hearts first or spades first should alert when they bid 2. OK?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#86 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 09:31

Vampyr, on 2012-November-04, 07:08, said:

Are these two sentences meant to refer to the same people?

Those who agree to respond 2 should alert when they bid 2 and when they bid 2. Those who have other criteria (including randomness or strength) than hearts first or spades first should alert when they bid 2. OK?

That seems entirely reasonable to me. However, I could think that after a 2 bid the second category should at some point mention that some of the hands with hearts and spades will rebid 2 and what the criteria are for the choice between 2 and 2.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#87 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-04, 09:47

Trinidad, on 2012-November-04, 09:31, said:

However, I could think that after a 2 bid the second category should at some point mention that some of the hands with hearts and spades will rebid 2 and what the criteria are for the choice between 2 and 2.

I think probably not, because if the person happens to have both majors she is making the "normal", expected rebid. The probability that she does have spades as well, and they are weaker, or stronger, or whatever the criterion does not seem high enough to require disclosure. I could be convinced otherwise, though, since the opponents will expect that 2 is the "default" and would not ask (if opener does, at some later point, show 4 spades).

If the choice is somehow random, I would like to know more; because "random" bids are not normally actually random.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#88 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-04, 11:17

I agree with Bluejack here: it seems a lot simpler and more reasonable to accept that the opponents choice of which 4-card major to respond on may not - for whatever reason - be the same as yours and that you should enquire if you want to know. There is nothing stopping an active statement (at least with screens), but in the absence of one we may have to judge whether it was misinformation or the players own misunderstanding and the latter seems preferable.

#89 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-04, 11:34

c_corgi, on 2012-November-04, 11:17, said:

it seems a lot simpler and more reasonable to accept that the opponents choice of which 4-card major to respond on may not - for whatever reason - be the same as yours and that you should enquire if you want to know.

The problem with this is that for most people who don't read these forums, it would not occur to them to ask. I suggested in an earlier post that the fact that it would not occur to the opponents to ask is a good reason to alert, and I maintain that position.

#90 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 11:56

Vampyr, on 2012-November-04, 11:34, said:

The problem with this is that for most people who don't read these forums, it would not occur to them to ask. I suggested in an earlier post that the fact that it would not occur to the opponents to ask is a good reason to alert, and I maintain that position.

There must be a default position to cater for two pairs who play different methods when it would not occur to either that there was an alternative. It is unreasonable to expect the alert system to be designed specifically around the proclivities of ones own system and those who do just have to learn better.

#91 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-04, 13:08

c_corgi, on 2012-November-04, 11:56, said:

There must be a default position to cater for two pairs who play different methods when it would not occur to either that there was an alternative. It is unreasonable to expect the alert system to be designed specifically around the proclivities of ones own system and those who do just have to learn better.

This is not at all relevant to the matter at hand, but thanks for sharing.

#92 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 13:21

c_corgi, on 2012-November-04, 11:56, said:

The mistake in the alert system, IMHO, is in allowing Stayman, an artificial bid, to remain unalerted. I know this is the historical default, but for a new player trying to understand the alert rules, the obvious and simplest default is : if it's artificial it should be alerted.

#93 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-04, 16:04

paua, on 2012-November-04, 13:21, said:

The mistake in the alert system, IMHO, is in allowing Stayman, an artificial bid, to remain unalerted. I know this is the historical default, but for a new player trying to understand the alert rules, the obvious and simplest default is : if it's artificial it should be alerted.

That used to be EBU's policy, IIUC. The result was that lots of normal auctions were alerted, and the alerts didn't help the opponents. The point of alerting is to warn the opponents when there's something they're likely to need an explanation of. Conventions that practically everyone plays, like Stayman, don't fit that criteria.

And if someone used 1NT-2 for something other than Stayman, the opponents wouldn't be warned that they should ask -- it would get the same alert that normal Stayman got. Since everyone knows that "everyone" plays Stayman, it would never occur to someone to ask about that alert.

In EBU territory Stayman is announced rather than alerted. In ACBL we don't say anything; as you say, this is the historical default.

But I think new players understand the basic idea of the current rules: If it's unusual, it should be alerted. This is clearly more useful than "If it's artificial it should be alerted".

#94 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-04, 16:27

barmar, on 2012-November-04, 16:04, said:

But I think new players understand the basic idea of the current rules: If it's unusual, it should be alerted. This is clearly more useful than "If it's artificial it should be alerted".

They don't understand what is unusual and what is not; if they did, they would probably have adopted the "usual" for the same reasons most people have.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#95 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 16:48

In my view sufficient players do not play what a certain group here seem to think is standard to make any agreement as to which major you respond not alertable.

As for requiring Stayman to be alerted, we tried that, and the current method is far superior.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#96 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-04, 18:02

bluejak, on 2012-November-04, 16:48, said:

In my view sufficient players do not play what a certain group here seem to think is standard to make any agreement as to which major you respond not alertable.

The evidence of the replies in this thread is that the meaning is unexpected in the South East of England, but not in the North East. To me that makes the answer obvious: it's alertable in my local club, but not in yours.

Edit: Sorry, I meant North West. I do really know where Merseyside is, or at least I know that it's on the left hand side of Not-London.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-November-05, 02:42

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#97 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-04, 19:09

gnasher, on 2012-November-04, 18:02, said:

The evidence of the replies in this thread is that the meaning is unexpected in the South East of England, but not in the North East. To me that makes the answer obvious: it's alertable in my local club, but not in yours.

This is very sensible, but leaves open the question of what to do at national events.

#98 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 19:15

barmar, on 2012-November-04, 16:04, said:

That used to be EBU's policy, IIUC. The result was that lots of normal auctions were alerted, and the alerts didn't help the opponents. The point of alerting is to warn the opponents when there's something they're likely to need an explanation of. Conventions that practically everyone plays, like Stayman, don't fit that criteria.

And if someone used 1NT-2 for something other than Stayman, the opponents wouldn't be warned that they should ask -- it would get the same alert that normal Stayman got. Since everyone knows that "everyone" plays Stayman, it would never occur to someone to ask about that alert.

In EBU territory Stayman is announced rather than alerted. In ACBL we don't say anything; as you say, this is the historical default.

Well, I disagree. If we redefine the purpose of an alert, = to show an artificial bid, then most of your argument falls flat :) There would be no alerts of a natural 1NT-2C, announcements I guess of "normal" Stayman, and alerts of anything else.
Is there the same problem in alerting / announcing Stayman over a 2NT opening ? I don't think so.

I have the same issue in my country about jump overcalls (and jump shifts). An intermediate jump overcall is defined as "normal", and other jump overcalls, weak or strong, have to be alerted. I have striven to understand the logic of this, especially compared to no alerting requirements for a 2-level opening, whether weak or strong.
How a new player (or foreigner) is meant to know what is "unexpected" is beyond me.

This is the 21st century, people play all sorts of things, people play beyond their club much more, beyond their county/region much more, online etc.
What is "expected" ? 50% of the field ? 75% ? 90% ? How can one tell ?

Mind you, it took 100 years for the bridge community to realise that the word "conventional bid" doesn't mean unconventional. :P

#99 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-04, 19:58

Vampyr, on 2012-November-04, 19:09, said:

This is very sensible, but leaves open the question of what to do at national events.

A national event is likely to be attended by people from all over the country. On that basis, I should think it would require an alert. I had thought to add "unless you know for certain that your opponents come from an area where it is not alerted," but that has the problem that they may not know where you're from, and so expect an alert. Better to alert, I think, and avoid that problem.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#100 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 02:57

I don't think it's where you come from, it's when you learnt. Every (British) text I read during the 80s and 90s said to bid hearts with both majors, and every person I've played with who learnt during that period bids hearts. Bluejak says that some authorities from earlier times said to bid spades, but I've never seen that advice.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users