BBO Discussion Forums: 2/1 qualification - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 qualification "express fun" tourneys require everyone to bid 2/1, but many d

#1 User is offline   kenfree 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-December-22, 11:16

Some tourneys, including the recurrent BBO-sponsored "express fun" tourneys, require all participants to bid 2/1. This is a great idea, except that there is no qualification of players as to whether they actually know how to bid 2/1, and many, if not most, don't. There should be some kind of qualifying quiz that players need to pass, to demonstrate at least minimum proficiency in bidding 2/1, before they are allowed to participate in these tourneys.

Anyone else agree?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-22, 11:29

Beginners are allowed to play, so a proficiency test is probably inappropriate. However, it would be nice if we could require players to confirm that they understand that 2/1 is required, not Precision or ACOL or anything else.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-December-22, 18:38

I presume the opening bid was a misclick, but you've got to wonder...

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-22, 23:31

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-December-22, 11:29, said:

Beginners are allowed to play, so a proficiency test is probably inappropriate. However, it would be nice if we could require players to confirm that they understand that 2/1 is required, not Precision or ACOL or anything else.

I'm sure most will just click through the confirmation, just like most people do when a web site or software installer asks them to confirm that they've read the license agreement.

There's nothing we can do to force players to bid a certain way. Just accept that these tournaments are free and just for fun, nothing is at stake.

#5 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 11:22

View Postbarmar, on 2012-December-22, 23:31, said:

I'm sure most will just click through the confirmation, just like most people do when a web site or software installer asks them to confirm that they've read the license agreement.

There's nothing we can do to force players to bid a certain way. Just accept that these tournaments are free and just for fun, nothing is at stake.

I always thought it might be better for there to be some sort of announcement that you can click on and see what the standard 2/1 CC is (which I assume is GIB since robots reaplace players).

yes tournies are free but that is about all they are is free.

no one plays GIB defense to NT (cappelletti) so you always get passed in 2 or 2
I usually play on an ipad when I do play these so not sure if you can see what your bids are before you make them
like you can when you play with GIB in web based version, if this option is not available maybe it should be so people
can see what their bids SHOULD MEAN....my ipad is getting tired of getting thrown against the wall :angry:

tournies maybe free ipads are not :rolleyes:

#6 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2012-December-23, 11:32

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-December-22, 18:38, said:

I presume the opening bid was a misclick, but you've got to wonder...

South should've saved to 7x -5 :rolleyes:
I think there should be qualification, because there's no chat, and it's individual.
It also inspired me to learn 2/1 so I could play in it :P
Become yourself.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 11:39

View Postkenfree, on 2012-December-22, 11:16, said:

(...) the recurrent BBO-sponsored "express fun" tourneys require all participants to bid 2/1. (...) There should be some kind of qualifying quiz that players need to pass,

Some might see a contradiction here.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-23, 21:11

View Postpigpenz, on 2012-December-23, 11:22, said:

I usually play on an ipad when I do play these so not sure if you can see what your bids are before you make them
like you can when you play with GIB in web based version, if this option is not available maybe it should be so people
can see what their bids SHOULD MEAN....my ipad is getting tired of getting thrown against the wall :angry:

This has been suggested before (sorry, can't find the thread). I agree it's a good idea. No idea when we'll get around to adding it, though.

#9 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-24, 10:38

View Postbarmar, on 2012-December-23, 21:11, said:

This has been suggested before (sorry, can't find the thread). I agree it's a good idea. No idea when we'll get around to adding it, though.

probably wouldnt help with ipad, cause havent found a way to hover over bid to find out what it might be before I make it when using that device

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-24, 17:13

View Postkenfree, on 2012-December-22, 11:16, said:

Some tourneys, including the recurrent BBO-sponsored "express fun" tourneys, require all participants to bid 2/1. This is a great idea, except that there is no qualification of players as to whether they actually know how to bid 2/1, and many, if not most, don't. There should be some kind of qualifying quiz that players need to pass, to demonstrate at least minimum proficiency in bidding 2/1, before they are allowed to participate in these tourneys.

Anyone else agree?

what do you mean, when you say you are playing 2/1?

There are at least 2 flavors out there (Lawrence, Hardy), and those are the
famous ones.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-December-24, 17:36

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2012-December-24, 17:13, said:

what do you mean, when you say you are playing 2/1?

There are at least 2 flavors out there (Lawrence, Hardy), and those are the
famous ones.
Since he specifically referenced the Express Fun tournaments, he specifically means "GIB 2/1", which is loaded as the convention card played by everyone in those tournaments.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users