• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Money Forfeited

#81 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-01, 03:40

bluejak, on 2012-December-31, 15:36, said:

3 is clearly an LA for the lesser player. Your "logic" will not be his: to him, absent UI, 3 is meaningless and he will normally pass it. But he will bid 3 because of the void. 3 is based on UI, ie it is unauthorised panic.

I don't think this is quite right. If these were weak players (and I am unconvinced that this is the case here), what would be happening is:-
West: 3
East: What? I told him I wanted to play in spades. He must have long clubs and only a couple of spades. But I haven't got any clubs, so we can't play in those. Our spades must be better and I still want to play there. So I'll bid spades again and he'll get the message.

East, in my experience, (without the UI) will not see this anything but a salvage operation, and will not even think of bidding diamonds.

In general, weak players will rebid a 5-card suit if they are not sure what to do, rather than look for anything more subtle. I feel that a lot of sequences that are castigated here as "unauthorised panic" are actually just a case of "panic", in that they would have bid exactly the same way without the UI, because they had an fixed idea of how to bid, and what contract to be in, before the problem occurred.

#82 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-01, 05:05

blackshoe, on 2013-January-01, 03:22, said:

Law 73C doesn't say anything about LAs. It says players in receipt of UI must carefully avoid taking advantage of it. I submit that by its very nature, "unauthorized panic" takes advantage of UI. If there is no LA, the TD may rule that there should be no adjustment, as the criteria of Law 16 have not been met, but that doesn't meant there's been no infraction of 73C.

This, to me, is an entirely new interpretation of Law 73C. Let me see: you play a strong NT system, you have a 16 point 4342, you get some kind of UI (it may be that NT contracts need to be played from your side) and you open 1NT. With your reasoning, you deserve a PP since "you haven't carefully avoided taking advantage of the UI". The fact that there is no LA, is irrelevant since "Law 73C does not mention LAs".

To put it in Dutch: Ammehoela. The phrase "taking advantage of UI" implies that you have a choice of multiple actions (let's call them ... LAs!). If you have only one action, you are not taking advantage, you do as you are forced to.

The point in this case is that there is only one LA: For lesser players this is 3, because "they are the captain of the auction and they already decided that they want to play in spades opposite a balanced 15-17". For better players this is 3 because they will reject a try for 4 when opener shows club values. It is just like the example with the 1NT opening: There is no choice, therefore no infraction, no adjustment and no penalty.

And... it doesn't matter why East bid 3 at the table. Maybe he thought it over rationally and correctly decided it was his only logical alternative. And maybe he was in utter panic. Maybe he screamed hysterically before he bid 3 and we are 100% sure that he panicked. We may penalize him for the screaming as a violation of just about every article in Law 74, but we cannot penalize him for the 3 bid... because there was no logical alternative.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#83 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-01, 07:48

aguahombre, on 2012-December-31, 19:31, said:

Rik: I disagree. Rank beginners are taught transfers in response to opening 1NT. Rank beginners would be confused as to whether they applied when the 2nd chair has made a call which didn't interrupt anything.

Around here, beginners are taught transfers to majors, they generally learn about transfers to minors later on. I think the typical progression is to first learn "3-way transfers" (2 is puppet to 3, responder passes or corrects to 3), and then adopt 4-way transfers when they're more advanced (since this has the added complication of taking away the natural 2NT invite, starting with Stayman instead).

#84 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 08:07

Law 73C uses the word "carefully" so players have not obeyed 73C unless they take care. To argue that they cannot be fined simply because they did not happen to gain any advantage is like trying to argue that you can't convict someone for reckless driving unless they actually cause an accident.

Of course we should not issue a PP unless we have strong grounds for believing that the player did not obey 73C, which in this case we don't. But if we asked the player why he bid 3 and he said something like "to let partner know I actually had spades" then a PP might be appropriate, even if we decide there is no LA.

#85 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 09:22

Despite my earlier posts, I agree with Campboy. If we know for a fact that 3 was bid "to let partner know we have spades" then a PP might be appropriate (though usually some education might be more effective). But (as Campboy says) we don't have any indication that this is the case here.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#86 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 14:21

In many cases on these forums we don't have all the information we would like to have, or cannot confirm that some hypothesis is untrue, because we can't ask questions of the players at the table. In such cases we have to do the best we can, and perhaps it would be better to discuss how the TD on site should handle such cases than to try to give a specific ruling, or perhaps do both, making it clear that the ruling is contingent on only the evidence presented, or on assumptions (dangerous, imo) about what evidence might be found if we could investigate more thoroughly.

In the case at hand I'd really like to ask East why he bid the way he did.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#87 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-02, 11:21

Trinidad, on 2012-December-29, 12:47, said:

The point is that West could have made many types of game tries. Opposite many of these you might want to make some kind of counter try. But if West tries with 3, you will know more than enough and you will never make a counter try.Rik

West has chosen 3 as a picture bid, breaking the sign-off in spades, to show a good hand with good clubs. Like the curate's egg, from East's point of view this is good in parts. A reverse game try on the East hand is more than enough.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#88 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-02, 11:40

PhilKing, on 2012-December-29, 21:04, said:

East has a clear sign-off for me. Steve Bloom's suggested hand (KQxx xxx Ax AKxx) does not resonate. Partner bids a suit in which he requires no help yet I am supposed to bid ten to five?

I agree with you that 3 is the better bid. Partner's club wastage is more likely to be the prime factor. But to adjust all we require is for 3 to be an LA, and that only requires about 20% of people to consider it and perhaps 10% to select it. I think 3 is just a last-train style try, and while pushy, it is surely an LA?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#89 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 19:45

lamford, on 2013-January-02, 11:40, said:

I agree with you that 3 is the better bid. Partner's club wastage is more likely to be the prime factor. But to adjust all we require is for 3 to be an LA, and that only requires about 20% of people to consider it and perhaps 10% to select it. I think 3 is just a last-train style try, and while pushy, it is surely an LA?

"But to adjust all we require is for 3 to be an LA"

for the class of player involved. Even after all the discussion, I'm not sure that is correct.

#90 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-02, 22:34

aguahombre, on 2012-December-31, 19:31, said:

Rik: I disagree. Rank beginners are taught transfers in response to opening 1NT. Rank beginners would be confused as to whether they applied when the 2nd chair has made a call which didn't interrupt anything.

This is just one reason why teachers must resist pleas from their "rank beginners" to 'teach us transfers please'.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#91 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 00:06

Vampyr, on 2013-January-02, 22:34, said:

This is just one reason why teachers must resist pleas from their "rank beginners" to 'teach us transfers please'.

I think I had an excellent teacher. He told us to go and play and not bother with conventions. Get experience in bidding your hands first. Then think of tools to make it easier. So, for two years I played:
- 16-18 NT with Stayman and Gerber
- Control cuebids (1st round) and Blackwood
- Takeout double of an opening bid below game
- Strong two bids in four suits
- 3 level sound preempts
- 2NT 22-24, 3NT 25-27

No transfers, no negative doubles.

When beginners ask me what to play, I tell them to play these for the first 2-3 years:
- 15-17 NT with Stayman
- Control cuebids (mixed) and Blackwood
- Takeout double of an opening bid below game
- 2 for strong hands, weak two bids in
- 3 level sound preempts
- 2NT 20-21 or 20-22

No transfers, no negative doubles.

Then start by adding negative doubles. Transfers, while certainly excellent tools, are not high on my list of "must learns".

Rik

#92 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 08:27

Trinidad, on 2013-January-03, 00:06, said:

I think I had an excellent teacher.

I think so too.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#93 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-03, 09:39

My mother played kitchen-table bridge all her life. Sometime in her 60's, she decided to take bridge lessons. She told me she didn't like those transfer things they were teaching, she didn't like bidding things she doesn't have.

#94 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-January-03, 10:38

Trinidad, on 2012-December-31, 18:56, said:

I assume you mean spade fit.

Yes. :(

StevenG, on 2013-January-01, 03:40, said:

I don't think this is quite right. If these were weak players (and I am unconvinced that this is the case here), what would be happening is:-
West: 3
East: What? I told him I wanted to play in spades. He must have long clubs and only a couple of spades. But I haven't got any clubs, so we can't play in those. Our spades must be better and I still want to play there. So I'll bid spades again and he'll get the message.

East, in my experience, (without the UI) will not see this anything but a salvage operation, and will not even think of bidding diamonds.

In general, weak players will rebid a 5-card suit if they are not sure what to do, rather than look for anything more subtle. I feel that a lot of sequences that are castigated here as "unauthorised panic" are actually just a case of "panic", in that they would have bid exactly the same way without the UI, because they had an fixed idea of how to bid, and what contract to be in, before the problem occurred.

You are right in one way, since I think many players will thinks as you say, probably a majority. But I would have expected there to be enough of a minority who would bid 3 to make it an LA.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users