BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Movie: Some standard safety plays - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Movie: Some standard safety plays by Albrecht Hollstein

Poll: BBO Movie: Some standard safety plays (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate presentation of this movie on a 1 to 5 scale (1 worst, 5 best)

1. 1 - poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 - below average (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 3 - average (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. 4 - above average (1 votes [16.67%])

5. 5 - excellent (1 votes [16.67%])

I would recommend this movie to (multiple choices are allowed)

1. 1 - No one (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 2 - Novice and Beginners (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. 3 - Intermediate players (6 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. 4 - Advanced players (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. 5 - Experts (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-December-06, 21:32

Link to this BBO Movie Some standard safety plays
General Type: Despite the title, this is a one bridge hand illustrating just one "safety play" to win 4 tricks in a suit whenever winning four tricks is possible (that is, it does not contain "some plays", just one.
Voice Track: NO
Quizes: No Time to complete: somewhere less than 5 minutes

The author is forum member xx1943. The target audience is clearly beginners, although some people who call themselves intermediate would misplay this hand at the table (a true intermediate would not, however, so it might be a quiz to separate these two populations). This is Al's first BBO Movie in this format.

This movie makes use of the auto frame advance feature on a few early frames, but not all. Auto advance in general is best when there is no text change, and you just play a few tricks, sort of slowly. As an aside, this is as good a time to point out some issues of movie style. In this movie instead of saying diamonds or clubs, the short hand and is used. I make this mistake too, we should spell out the strains. The style instructions for BBO MOVIE makers (if anyone gets to the end of the tutorial) is that bids are entered as level followed by denomination (so 3) no matter where it appeared in the text would mean a bid of 3 spades, no a holding of three spades. A specific card is indicated by denomination followed by rank, so 7 would be the beer card. Any other time, for instance when talking about a holding that includes three spades, you would write out "three spades". An exception is made for specific distributions if you want, you could say 4=3=3=3 or, of course, 4=3=3=3 (that specific distribution).
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-07, 05:33

View Postinquiry, on 2012-December-06, 21:32, said:

The author is forum member xx1943. The target audience is clearly beginners, although some people who call themselves intermediate would misplay this hand at the table (a true intermediate would not, however, so it might be a quiz to separate these two populations). This is Al's first BBO Movie in this format.

If by "intermediate" you mean average club players, then I think your expectation of intermediates is on the high side. I would expect that most could work that out in problem format, but nearly all would go wrong at the table.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#3 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-07, 13:49

View Postinquiry, on 2012-December-06, 21:32, said:

---- Despite the title, this is a one bridge hand illustrating just one "safety play" to win 4 tricks in a suit whenever winning four tricks is possible (that is, it does not contain "some plays", just one.
Voice Track: NO
Quizes: No Time to complete: somewhere less than 5 minutes
------

Hi Ben,

1) This was my first try to write a MM-movie. The idea is to add in the future other simple safety plays and explain in detail how they work and why another line is worse. The target for the file are my students (total beginners in the BIL).

2) I'll never write a movie with voice track, because my written English is not good BUT my spoken English is terrible not to understand.

3) I plan to use quizzes in my next movies and/or extensions of this movie.

Btw. I have 2 questions, but will them post in the FAQ-thread.

Many thanks for your help

Regards

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users