Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A pretty decent dummy

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-01, 16:40

The biggest hand I've ever seen and my p put it down as dummy for me. 30 points? "Thank you partner!"

They made a good lead (on a lead you have enough entries to hand to take the finesses you need) and so I tried for the ten to come down; when it didn't I stripped East hoping to endplay him in Spades to lead into my AT but alas West had the King - one off.

Any comments on the bidding or the play? I am relatively new to bridge but I doubt I'll see a hand this big in the rest of my life. Anyone ever had more?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-January-01, 16:46

I once had this on BBO...MBC

-
AKQ
AKQJ9865
AJ
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#3 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:03

The best aceless hand I ever got was
KQ98
-
K
KQJ107542

The best hand in general was something like

Ax
AKxx
AKx
AKxx

Neither of those are very good -_-
Become yourself.

#4 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:31

Kind of unlucky. If you read was as having four clubs as well as Kx of spades you won't play off the last high club, and you can exit spade ten after taking the red tricks. While there may have been clues as to the exact shape, it seems to me that you were very reasonable and the winning line of play seems pretty obscure.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#5 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:44

When I held the North cards I bid 6NT straight over a multi 2D, and got a heart lead, so I made it.

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:56

Try this line:

Play to the first four tricks as you did and finesse a spade. Say you misguess by playing the ten. Win the diamond return and cash the other top club. Now you know West is 2614. Cash the spade ace dropping the king and cash the other spade. Play the remaining diamond ending in hand. If clubs are 33 making West 3613, do not cash the spade ace before the diamond - you will come to a similar ending.

On the last diamond West is squeezed. In order to keep the J he has to come down to two hearts, so one finesse will pick up the suit.

Finessing the spade queen is probably better. When that holds we can lead the spade ten to rectify the count for the "immaterial" heart/club squeeze. As long as West has a spade honour, we are OK, and he should do for his second in hand weak two. It's not a double dummy line (it merely requires West to hold at least one spade honour and at least three clubs), and the weird thing is it would have been quite easy to stumble into this ending if dummy did not have the heart jack.

#7 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 19:48

I would have finessed in spades, only as the wk 2 opener 'has' to have the spade king for his bid. Otherwise he opened very weak, even for a weak 2.

Best hand I ever held was a 4432 29 count. I chose a 2d opening which showed 4+4+ in the Majors less than an opening hand, when partner bid 2 showing a real prefernce but weak, I jumped to 6, which made and was on memory an equal top with 6nt not able to make.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-02, 13:36

2 silly memories of huge hands.

LHO was obviously taking a while to count her hand while you were W/W contemplating what to psyche on xx, xxx, xxx, xxxxx, she then opens 2 out of turn. What do you choose as your bid when the director tells you that she can't double and her partner will be silenced throughout. (she had a flat 29 count)

I opened a weak 2 in our style in first seat with something like Kx, xxx, xxxx, xxxx catching partner with something like AQx, AKx, AKQJxx, K and was able to show him very precisely either the hand I held or the same with a heart or spade less and a diamond more (2-2N-3 showing minimum with 4 clubs then showing K without a heart cue, if I had 4-4 reds would have opened 2 with a minimum). The knowledge that I had 4 clubs was key so he could count his cover cards in the majors and we bid a 6 not bid at the other table.

We keep our 2 openers up to strength, so I claim x, A, AKxxx, Axxxxx as the biggest hand I've ever held opposite a 2 opener.

#9 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 19:28

View Postbigbenvic, on 2013-January-01, 19:48, said:

I would have finessed in spades, only as the wk 2 opener 'has' to have the spade king for his bid. Otherwise he opened very weak, even for a weak 2.

Best hand I ever held was a 4432 29 count. I chose a 2d opening which showed 4+4+ in the Majors less than an opening hand, when partner bid 2 showing a real prefernce but weak, I jumped to 6, which made and was on memory an equal top with 6nt not able to make.

Good thing partner didn't pass thinking, "well they must have a game so 2D undoubled is fine".
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#10 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 20:48

View PostRSClyde, on 2013-January-06, 19:28, said:

Good thing partner didn't pass thinking, "well they must have a game so 2D undoubled is fine".

We have an agreement that to do so he'd need 2263 or eqivalent as 2 can be as shapey 6-5. But yes I was releived when he didn't pass!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users