Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

the basics

#1 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-22, 10:43

matchpoints. What does/should double mean here? What does/should 2nt mean? Arguing with pard over this one.

thanks in advance

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-22, 10:56

i think opener' s hand is sufficiently well-described for this double to be penalty
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 10:56

You need good agreements as to when double is not for take-out. Along with quite a few players here, I use the "double is takeout unless we have an agreement to the contrary" method.

This one comes under my list of penalty double situations: "We both bid, they protect." Had East, passed over 1 and then wandered in with 2, double would still have been for take-out, rightly or wrongly.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:01

For me, 1NT denies 4 spades, thus a double here could not reasonably be takeout (if I have 4513 I'm just bidding 2), therefore it must be penalty. I'm not sure what the people for whom 1NT could still have 4 spades have to say about this one, you'll have to ask them.

As for 2NT, I cannot imagine any hand on which I would want to compete further but bypass the possiblity of playing 2 (well, unless I'm sure I want to play 3 perhaps), therefore the meaning of 2NT is "I've lost my mind, partner."
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:06

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-January-22, 10:56, said:

You need good agreements as to when double is not for take-out. Along with quite a few players here, I use the "double is takeout unless we have an agreement to the contrary" method.

Been there, done that: http://www.bridgebas...enalty-doubles/

It didn't quite work, so I'm back to the more difficult to interpret, but also more comprehensive rule of "it's takeout unless it shouldn't be."
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:09

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-22, 12:01, said:

As for 2NT, I cannot imagine any hand on which I would want to compete further but bypass the possiblity of playing 2, therefore the meaning of 2NT is "I've lost my mind, partner."

Jx ATxx xx ATxxx

Wibble.

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:26

X is penalty, under the rule "Xs of retarded bids are penalty."

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:44

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-January-22, 12:09, said:

Jx ATxx xx ATxxx

Yeah I edited my post but apparently not quickly enough... anyhow you're surely not bidding 2NT. :P
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:52

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-January-22, 12:26, said:

X is penalty, under the rule "Xs of retarded bids are penalty."

DOSBAP

I would love to see a DOSBAP case go to committee.

"What are your agreements about doubles in this situation?"
"Doubles of stupid bids are penalty."
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:55

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-January-22, 12:44, said:

Yeah I edited my post but apparently not quickly enough... anyhow you're surely not bidding 2NT. :P

Why not? It's natural with 4 or 5 clubs. Partner can pass or bid 3 appropriately.

#11 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-22, 22:19

Thx for great replies. I agree, dbl must be penalty, showing a hand more or less like the one given. what would a 2nt call look like? you could be on 23-24 hcp if you held something like K10xx KQ98 xx QJx (assume unfavorable and that pard opens 1in 1st seat). What else can you do?

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-23, 13:50

Double them for penalty? Lefty is a clown he could not open 1D or 2D or 3D. Then as a passed hand he could not overcall 2D. Now he has balanced 2D r/w on a non fit auction. I am fine doubling him, the likelihood of partner having only 2 diamonds is extremely small, he'd have to be 3325, and if he has that shape and didn't pass 1H he probably has 13-14 anyways. More likely he has 3-4 diamonds and we have 22-24 HCP. That is fine for doubling them red at MP.

Sometimes you will come out with egg on your face but MP is like that sometimes. LHO has announced he has a shitty hand and then bid. We know we have significant values and they don't have a huge diamond fit, and our diamonds are behind LHO. They have contracted for 8 tricks. I am fine taking a proposition where if they make it I get a zero and if they don't I get a top in those circumstances. Competing to 2N is just criminal.

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-23, 13:57

if opener has denied 4 diamonds I don't think his double shoulde penalty now, looks like 3325 maximum or 4324 if its allowed. Responder is another story.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users