• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Assign the blame Matchpoints

#1 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-24, 03:55

(4-card majors)

Obviously a partscore scores better than , and when you pick up the Q game makes without further difficulty. Unfortunately, we found the lower-scoring partscore so lost a fair few MPs.

Who should have bid more strongly? S could support after the 2 rebid; N's 3 shows more of a minimum than the hand really is. What should we have done differently?

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-January-24, 04:05

I think South. I know that people open lighter than ever these days, but I'm going to game on the South cards.

My preferred sequence:

1H (1S) 2D
2H 2S
3D 3H
4H

#3 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-24, 04:51

The responder needs to make a game forcing bid rather than an invite and should try 2S rather than 2NT to ensure game is reached. There was still room to improve the result had south bid 3H after 3D, after all A10 is not such shabby support facing a 6 card suit. Although the post suggests S is not sure N holds 6H, they did rebid the suit and 2 honor cards should help fill in the suit. The A of S means even if N does hold only 5H their hand will not be forced allowing them to keep control and run D.

Opening bids facing opening bids belong in game.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users