BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid? Few agreements

Poll: What do you bid? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 3C (5 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

3. 3D (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 3S (7 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

6. 3NT (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:09

One time partnership, cross-IMP scoring

Do you agree with your bidding so far?

What do you do now?

(2 showed about 16+ and was not forcing.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 03:23

If all I have shown is 16 points I have a bit extras.

I bid 3 as choice of game. If p is on a different wavelength and passes this then it might not be bad.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 04:37

I bid game.

2H was NF, partner showed some life, I bid it.

I voted 3C, but overlooked the fact, that partner did bid 1S, 3S is a lot better,
than 3C, although 3C will most of the time have a similar effect.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 08:50

I had this hand. I chose to bid 3 since I wanted to be in game (3NT, 4, 4) and wasn't sure whether 3 would be forcing. After the hand, my partner said that 3 "obviously would have been forcing". He did offer some more wisdom, but let me show you the full hand and auction first:

Needless to say that we didn't gain any cross-IMPs on this board.

Partner's "wisdom": "3 cannot possibly be asking for a stop in clubs since I have already shown one when I bid 2NT. Therefore, it must be natural." followed by: "You should have bid 3. That is obviously forcing." and "I have thought about it a little more... You really should have put in the K against that 4 contract 2 rounds ago. After all, you knew I was underleading the ace when I led the 2 (from my known five card suit) since we play fourth best from an honor and second highest from garbage. You really should have figured that one out. I didn't expect that you would misdefend that badly."

For me that is the definition of:

Trinidad, on 2013-February-13, 03:09, said:

One time partnership

Just for the record: Except for telling the opponents that there had been a failure to alert 3 (to which they replied: "We already guessed that.") I didn't say a word.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-February-13, 09:03

LOL at your partner.

I would guess that 3 is forcing in practice, if not in principle. But the idea that 3 can be passed is so bizarre that any rational discussion is not possible.

I have no idea what you meant by there was a failure to alert 3. Aside from the fact that cue bids are not alertable unless they have some truly unusual and unexpected meaning, there was clearly no partnership understanding about the meaning of 3. And if it was just a general game force, which appears to be the case, it is certainly not alertable.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-13, 09:24

I voted for 3 but my second choice would be 3, not 3. Then 3 over 3 or 4 over 3. Some people do play that a bid of their suit (or the 4th suit) after a NT bid that guarantees a stopper is natural but you would not want to gamble on it with a pick-up partner. Even if 3 was agreed this way, and for most it would not be, it would still be 100% forcing.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 09:55

ArtK78, on 2013-February-13, 09:03, said:

I have no idea what you meant by there was a failure to alert 3.

This was not in the ACBL. In The Netherlands, 3 as artificial does require an alert.

Rik

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-13, 10:26

Trinidad, on 2013-February-13, 08:50, said:

You really should have put in the K against that 4 contract 2 rounds ago. After all, you knew I was underleading the ace when I led the 2 (from my known five card suit) since we play fourth best from an honor and second highest from garbage.

If partner lead the 2 from a known 5-card suit when playing 4th best I would take it as suit preference. Unless of course it is at all possible that his known 5-card suit is a 4-card suit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-February-14, 12:48

Your partner is way too good for you, you're just a simple soul who plays a cuebid as a general force like the rest of the world.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users