BBO Discussion Forums: another pick up bids instead of pass - BBO Discussion Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

another pick up bids instead of pass

#81 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-20, 18:29

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-February-20, 11:44, said:

Time for the obligatory call to require the bidding cards to stay on the table till the opening lead is faced. I think that procedure change would solve a lot of problems. I know it's been said before ...

It does work very well.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#82 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-February-21, 05:22

In this case it would be sufficient to require the bidding cards to stay on the table until the auction is over.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#83 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-21, 10:18

View Postsfi, on 2013-February-20, 15:24, said:

My understanding is that the laws are silent on the matter of proper bidding box procedures, and that it is largely a matter of regulation. For example, ABF regulations do require that the bidding cards remain on the table until the opening lead is faced. This is widely ignored in practice.

The full name of the forum is "Changing Laws and Regulations", so discussion of changing bidding box procedures would still be appropriate there.

But if the situation occurs in a place that already has appropriate regulations, then it's a matter of enforcement, not regulation. As others have said, if a regulation is routinely ignored by both players and directors, there's not much the regulators can do about that.

#84 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 08:46

Wasn't it jillybean who suggested that by breaking the rules on a normal basis you protect yourself?

Take this an example, if the played in question didn't pass 3NT but instead picked up his bidding cards as his opponent did a round later most likelly 4th hand player or someone would have protested forcing the player to realice the double.

#85 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-February-26, 09:12

View Postpran, on 2013-February-18, 07:31, said:

I cannot believe that I am (almost?) the only one who sometime or other have experienced an auction ending with the last player making a bid and, feeling certain (from how the auction proceeded) that his bid will be the contract, just picking up his bid cards not waiting for the three subsequently expected pass calls to come?

Sure this is an irregularity, but who cares in a friendly party of bridge? (And most parties of bridge are friendly are they not?)

I care, because it is not friendly, it is very rude and offensive, showing a lack of interest in the game.

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-February-18, 12:04, said:

No. The way I read it, the player who wasn't paying attention wouldn't have been paying attention even if everybody put out pass cards as they were supposed to do.

Certainly not the way I read it. Those little green cards help to know what the auction actually is.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#86 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-26, 10:18

View Postbluejak, on 2013-February-26, 09:12, said:

Certainly not the way I read it. Those little green cards help to know what the auction actually is.

Sure they do. That's not the point. The player was concentrating on his hand, thinking about what to lead. He wasn't paying attention to bidding cards, and it doesn't seem to me likely that pass cards coming out would have made any difference to him.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#87 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-26, 10:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-February-26, 10:18, said:

Sure they do. That's not the point. The player was concentrating on his hand, thinking about what to lead. He wasn't paying attention to bidding cards, and it doesn't seem to me likely that pass cards coming out would have made any difference to him.

Are you forgetting that he would have been required to play one himself? He wasn't in the passout seat.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#88 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-26, 16:38

View Postbluejak, on 2013-February-26, 09:12, said:

I care, because it is not friendly, it is very rude and offensive, showing a lack of interest in the game.

I would be extremely cautious with such characterization without substance.

If an apparently final bid is made and everybody expect that bid to be final, happily collecting their respective bid cards and restoring them to their bid boxes without in detail observing correct procedure then of course they are violating the laws.

But absent any animosity or unpleasantness at the table what on earth is the cause for using words like rude and offensive and to make assertions that there is lack of interest in the game? I for one would feel very offended if David or others should come along like that at my table (in our club) where we are four friends playing bridge.

#89 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2013-February-26, 18:26

If an apparently final bid is made and the bidder expects that bid to be final...

is not what you said, but it is the issue.

1NT-p-3NT pickup. Yeah, 99+% of the time, it's going to go AP. If you wait until fourth-hand doesn't make a "lead spades, partner" double, add another 9. Still, "everybody" is overkill.

And as there *are* people who do that after 1-p-1-X; p-2-p-p; 3 and she picks up her cards (actually, she doesn't play with bidding boxes, last I remember; what she does is make the 3 call and turn her scorecard over to write in the contract). I will admit, that after several years of having to deal with this, I'm a little sensitive; but yeah, it's rude, offensive, and whether there's lack of interest in the game, there's definitely knowledge that it's passing information to partner, and that that doesn't matter to the bid-and-pick-uper. And that's if nothing else, lack of interest in playing a *fair* game.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#90 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-27, 10:11

I think people just have different thresholds for what they consider "rude". If someone fails to hold a door for someone behind them, so it closes on them, is that rude or merely careless or thoughtless?

#91 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-28, 03:59

I think we can use this method to get around the loss of Alert-Gerber, eg 1NT - 4 (picks up cards) = to play. I can see many practical applications for this. How about (2) - X (picks up cards) = penalty? or even 1 - 2 (picks up cards) = WJS. If we combine it with Weasel, we can practically ignore all enemy preempts. Perfect!
(-: Zel :-)

#92 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-28, 05:17

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-February-28, 03:59, said:

If we combine it with Weasel, we can practically ignore all enemy preempts. Perfect!

A name for this convention could be snømus.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#93 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-March-01, 19:01

View Postpran, on 2013-February-26, 16:38, said:

If an apparently final bid is made and everybody expect that bid to be final, happily collecting their respective bid cards and restoring them to their bid boxes without in detail observing correct procedure then of course they are violating the laws.

But absent any animosity or unpleasantness at the table what on earth is the cause for using words like rude and offensive and to make assertions that there is lack of interest in the game? I for one would feel very offended if David or others should come along like that at my table (in our club) where we are four friends playing bridge.

If players are going to pick up their cards when their partner still has a call, then yes, I do consider such players rude and offensive, and if you permit that in your club then I do not want to play in your club.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#94 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-March-02, 00:10

View Postbluejak, on 2013-March-01, 19:01, said:

If players are going to pick up their cards when their partner still has a call, then yes, I do consider such players rude and offensive, and if you permit that in your club then I do not want to play in your club.

I don't.

But you obviously (and deliberately) ignore the premises for my note:

I have no further comments.

#95 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-March-02, 23:22

I hope pran continues to enjoy the game that they play at his club but if they unnecessarilly, routinely and deliberately flout the rules of Bridge, without sanction, then the game they play is not Bridge.

#96 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-March-03, 05:06

View Postnige1, on 2013-March-02, 23:22, said:

I hope pran continues to enjoy the game that they play at his club but if they unnecessarilly, routinely and deliberately flout the rules of Bridge, without sanction, then the game they play is not Bridge.

So attempting to curtail the auction when it appears obvious to everybody that three passes will follow makes the game not bridge?

Bear in mind that I do not advocate this as a general routine, but I have seen it happen and I would certainly not interfere when all four players are happy and no damage is caused.

#97 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-March-03, 06:21

I had a hand a couple of years ago, when LHO bid 6 partner passed, RHO passed and I started to think, not sure if I though of doubling or of defending to 6. Whatever, everybody picked up his bids, and started to chit-chat about how brave the 6 bid was or I dunno. I still had my 4 green passes in front when my partner made the lead and dummy came down if I crecall correctly. In the end I decided to just pass, but my hesitation revealed to declarer a key card for the slam I think. I sarted a thread back then, but no clue how to find it.

I found this one though:

http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry598265

#98 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-March-03, 06:50

View Postpran, on 2013-March-03, 05:06, said:

So attempting to curtail the auction when it appears obvious to everybody that three passes will follow makes the game not bridge?

Bear in mind that I do not advocate this as a general routine, but I have seen it happen and I would certainly not interfere when all four players are happy and no damage is caused.

Correct, it is not Bridge. It is illegal communication that one expects the auction to be over when it is not over, whether intended to influence that outcome or not.

The fact that in retrospect no damage was done in a particular case does not have any relevance.

The fact that some players do this is less than relevant to its propriety. If nobody did it, this thread would not exist.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#99 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-03, 09:26

View PostFluffy, on 2013-March-03, 06:21, said:

I had a hand a couple of years ago, when LHO bid 6 partner passed, RHO passed and I started to think, not sure if I though of doubling or of defending to 6. Whatever, everybody picked up his bids, and started to chit-chat about how brave the 6 bid was or I dunno. I still had my 4 green passes in front when my partner made the lead and dummy came down if I crecall correctly. In the end I decided to just pass, but my hesitation revealed to declarer a key card for the slam I think. I sarted a thread back then, but no clue how to find it.

I found this one though:

http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry598265

If you aren't done yet, just say something as they are picking up their bids. Also your partner should lead face down of course.

Your hesitation would have revealed the same thing to declarer whether the other bids had remained on the table until you were done thinking or not.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#100 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-03, 10:35

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-March-03, 06:50, said:

The fact that some players do this is less than relevant to its propriety. If nobody did it, this thread would not exist.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that so far pran has been the only participant in this discussion who has observed this behavior. I am not going to worry about it until it actually occurs.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users