Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should we call the director?

#1 User is offline   mdietz39 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-06, 21:10

My wife and I were playing in a duplicate pairs game at the local club. On one board the auction had cone 1 Diamond - 2 Diamonds - 4 Diamonds - ???.

I should pull the 5 Diamonds bid from the box, Double Dummy later showed that 5 Diamonds was completely possible. Instead I pulled the 5 Clubs card, laid it down, and there were then three passes. We then all placed the cards back in our bidding boxes. When the person recording the auction announced the bid as 5 Clubs, South, I said but I bid 5 Diamonds. The opponents and my partner all agreed that I had pulled the 5 Clubs card.

Should we have called the director? We played it at 5 Clubs and I went down 4. I guess my question is at what point is a bid finalized? And in this case it was very obvious the bidding was in Diamonds and not Clubs, Clubs had not been mentioned at any time in the auction.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and enlightment on this.

Mike

#2 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-06, 21:26

View Postmdietz39, on 2013-March-06, 21:10, said:

My wife and I were playing in a duplicate pairs game at the local club. On one board the auction had cone 1 Diamond - 2 Diamonds - 4 Diamonds - ???.

I should pull the 5 Diamonds bid from the box, Double Dummy later showed that 5 Diamonds was completely possible. Instead I pulled the 5 Clubs card, laid it down, and there were then three passes. We then all placed the cards back in our bidding boxes. When the person recording the auction announced the bid as 5 Clubs, South, I said but I bid 5 Diamonds. The opponents and my partner all agreed that I had pulled the 5 Clubs card.

Should we have called the director? We played it at 5 Clubs and I went down 4. I guess my question is at what point is a bid finalized? And in this case it was very obvious the bidding was in Diamonds and not Clubs, Clubs had not been mentioned at any time in the auction.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and enlightment on this.

Mike

Of course, call the Director. It can't hurt you.

It may be awkward... Your wife saw the 5!C bid. Only she knows how she took it, but it is unlikely that she took it as accidental. It is weird that she would pass it, since it sounds slam invitational. That said, who knows, the director might likely determine that you had no partnership agreement and...??

Nothing to lose, as I see it.

It is like a free option. It can only improve.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-06, 21:27

Unfortunately, you cannot change an unintended call once partner has called. Sure you can call the director, but there is nothing he can do.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-March-07, 01:07

My wife and I were playing in a duplicate pairs game at the local club. On one board the auction had cone 1 Diamond - 2 Diamonds - 4 Diamonds - ???. I should pull the 5 Diamonds bid from the box, Double Dummy later showed that 5 Diamonds was completely possible. Instead I pulled the 5 Clubs card, laid it down, and there were then three passes. We then all placed the cards back in our bidding boxes. When the person recording the auction announced the bid as 5 Clubs, South, I said but I bid 5 Diamonds. The opponents and my partner all agreed that I had pulled the 5 Clubs card. Should we have called the director? We played it at 5 Clubs and I went down 4. I guess my question is at what point is a bid finalized? And in this case it was very obvious the bidding was in Diamonds and not Clubs, Clubs had not been mentioned at any time in the auction.Thank you in advance for any suggestions and enlightment on this.
When you are in doubt about procedure, you should call the director. As usual, however, Vampyr seems right about the law. If you agree with her, it is best not to call the director, because he won't let you change your bid and defenders may defend better, realizing that you have made a mistake.

#5 User is offline   guido 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-07, 08:05

I guess my question is at what point is a bid finalized? And in this case it was very obvious the bidding was in Diamonds and not Clubs, Clubs had not been mentioned at any time in the auction.

Mike

Mike:

It obviously was NOT "obvious" as your partner saw your 5C bid correctly and decided to pass. I'm afraid you are stuck with your 5C contract.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-07, 12:21

Law 25A: 1. Until his partner makes a call, a player may substitute his intended call for an unintended call but only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without pause for thought. The second (intended) call stands and is subject to the appropriate law.
2. No substitution of call may be made when his partner has made a subsequent call.
3. If the auction ends before it reaches the player’s partner, no substitution may occur after the end of the auction period (see Law 22).
4. If a substitution is allowed, the LHO may withdraw any call he made over the first call. Information from the withdrawn call is authorized only to his side. There is no further rectification.

Law 25B: 1. A substituted call not permitted by A above may be accepted by the offender’s LHO. (It is accepted if LHO calls intentionally over it.) The first call is then withdrawn, the second call stands and the auction continues.
2. Except as in B1 above, a substitution not permitted by A above is canceled. The original call stands and the auction continues.
3. Law 16D applies to a call withdrawn or canceled.

Law 16D has to do with unauthorized information.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-07, 12:55

Does the player saying that he thought he bid 5 count as a "substituted call"? If not, I don't think 25B is relevant. It's an extraneous comment, so it would be UI to his partner. But since the auction is over, and his partner is now dummy, I don't think that's relevant, either.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-08, 09:26

View Postbarmar, on 2013-March-07, 12:55, said:

Does the player saying that he thought he bid 5 count as a "substituted call"? If not, I don't think 25B is relevant. It's an extraneous comment, so it would be UI to his partner. But since the auction is over, and his partner is now dummy, I don't think that's relevant, either.

No, it doesn't count as a substituted call. I included 25B in my post for completeness. Since 25B refers to 16D, I felt it wise to say what 16D was about, since I didn't quote it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users