BBO Discussion Forums: Signalling question - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signalling question Is the second card of a sequence suit preference?

#1 User is offline   Balrog49 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, reading, history.

Posted 2013-March-05, 21:43

You lead the Q from QJ10xx against 1NT-3NT. Dummy has Kxx and everyone ducks, partner playing the two. Assuming that you continue the suit, which card do you lead at trick two and what does it mean?

I was declarer in 3NT with Kxx in dummy and Ax in hand. LHO continued with the jack. After the hand, my opponents (friends) told me that the jack was suit preference for the higher of the possible side suits, telling partner (and declarer if aware) where your entry is. I've always thought that in standard carding, you continue with the bottom of the sequence, in this case the ten.

I'd like to know the "standard expert" treatment of this situation and whether or not to ask when it occurs.

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-March-06, 02:51

It depends on the position.
In this case it's usually suit preference, because that's the most important message to give partner. If you are continuing with the suit anyway, why bother saying whether you've got the 10 or not, if you haven't it's an extra trick for declarer and you are too late.

However, you should be a bit cautious about believing the opponents' suit preference signals as declarer.

Axx
QJ10x
QJ10x
Kx

xx
A9x
A9x
AQJxx

LHO leads the king of spades against 3NT, and turns out to have started with KQJ10x. If he signals strongly for hearts, don't be surprise if he turns up with the DK, because suit preference cards have the same potential for false carding.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-06, 05:13

Since you don't usually lead the top of 2-card sequences against NT, the 10 is already suggested by the lead of the Q. This allows you to use the choice of continuing with the J or 10 as a signal. Also, if he were leading from QJxxx, he wouldn't continue it after partner made a discouraging signal (I'm assuming the 2 was normal attitude).

So all signs point to the lead being from QJTxx.

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-06, 10:00

Ten is my standard play so partner knows I have the ten. I could have QJx or QJ9x and play the jack.

Of course, there are sometimes other factors (if you have QJTxx and no entry, you would often play the jack so declarer is more likely to play the king rather than try to block the suit).

I have never played this as suit preference. I guess if I'm known to have 5 it can be suit pref.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users