BBO Discussion Forums: opps unfavourable at the 3 level. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

opps unfavourable at the 3 level.

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-27, 01:30

sound raise about 8-10

what is your plan when 3 comes back?

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-27, 02:55

I double 3 just in case but over 3x I am worth a game try, 3 should be a generic game try now.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-27, 03:40

I wouldn't have bid only 2. This was worth at least an invitational raise.

Anyway, it may have worked out well. I'd double 3, because we should be able to take it apart by forcing the long hand. It doesn't seem very likely that they'll pull this - RHO could have passed 2NTx with equal length - but if they do I'll accept partner's double. If they run and partner doesn't double 3, I'll bid 4.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   ewj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-27, 05:28

View Postgnasher, on 2013-March-27, 03:40, said:

Anyway, it may have worked out well. I'd double 3, because we should be able to take it apart by forcing the long hand. It doesn't seem very likely that they'll pull this - RHO could have passed 2NTx with equal length - but if they do I'll accept partner's double. If they run and partner doesn't double 3, I'll bid 4.

I suppose 2NT might have been the red suits. But I agree that our hand is very nice...obviously double now and 3H sounds like the ticket

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-27, 08:33

View Postgnasher, on 2013-March-27, 03:40, said:

Andy, you missed the explanation of 2N. I would give long odds that LHO is pulling the double, because it has to be 90%+ that he has the reds. And I am not defending 3 if LHO bids it, partner doubles, and rho passes. I have the worst possible red suit holding given that rho's pass would show preference for diamonds over hearts.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-March-27, 09:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-March-27, 02:55, said:

I double 3 just in case but over 3x I am worth a game try, 3 should be a generic game try now.

IMO, like others, I surely would have shown an invite the first time, not some mere constructive raise. But, how does partner cooperating by doubling 3 make my hand a game try now when I didn't consider it to be one before?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-27, 09:15

I'm just going to bid 4. I don't see how partner can ever play us for an ace, a king, a singleton, four trumps, the Holy Grail and Flight 19. He has shown a good hand, so take the pressure off.

Also, by bidding game now, you do not allow East to find out his partner holds the reds.

#8 User is offline   ewj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-27, 16:12

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-March-27, 09:15, said:

I'm just going to bid 4. I don't see how partner can ever play us for an ace, a king, a singleton, four trumps, the Holy Grail and Flight 19. He has shown a good hand, so take the pressure off.

Also, by bidding game now, you do not allow East to find out his partner holds the reds.

Yes that's an excellent point. I overlooked that partner had shown something extra and we might elicit an "agressive" club lead which gains us a trick....I mean if it's teams I can't possibly imagine not playing game here

#9 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-27, 18:06

I much prefer double now to bidding 4 at this vul. We don't need many tricks to get a big penalty, we can always bid 4 later, and at this vul I hardly think they will bid 5 of a red suit.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-March-27, 18:34

Double is easy. RHO might just have clubs (he could have passed) and partner has both red suits wedged over the bidder.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-March-28, 05:25

I had "easily" doubled too, but Phil convinced me that 4 is by far superior. I am not at all interessted in 3 X, so what do I wait for?
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 14:02

What PhilKing said sounds very good to my ear. Put me down for 4 as well.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 15:27

If you don't want to defend 3X then you can still bid 4 later. But maybe they will get to 3X or 3X so why not give them a chance first? I just don't see the point of bidding game now. What's the rush? Will the R/W opponents be able to successfully bid 5 of something on a hand they would have passed had we bid 4? That sounds extremely farfetched to me, in fact I think I'm being kind.
- billw55

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 05:35

View Postlalldonn, on 2013-March-28, 15:27, said:

If you don't want to defend 3X then you can still bid 4 later.

There is no "if", although it could go for 800 if lefty is a psycho. Don't get me wrong - I'm quite tempted to double 3 and sit for 3, but I have decided not to because my hand is outside of my range. I am never doubling 3 and then pulling 3 though for the reason below.

But maybe they will get to 3X or 3X so why not give them a chance first? I just don't see the point of bidding game now. What's the rush?

The rush is that 4 may hinge on the lead. If we double 3 and pull 3x to 4, you have just given them a road map to a heart. Whilst it's possible that righty is 4522, and lefty 0355, I'm not buying it. We ain't defending 3 doubled and I don't really see how we are going to get to defend 3x. They have at least an eight card fit, presumably in diamonds, but I am the only person at the table privy to that information. I would rather keep it that way until they have let 4 through on the opening lead, and if the happens one time in ten, I am happy.

Will the R/W opponents be able to successfully bid 5 of something on a hand they would have passed had we bid 4? That sounds extremely farfetched to me, in fact I think I'm being kind.

Kind to whom? Noone mentioned 5x, which is obviously very unlikely.

#15 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 08:39

I suppose I interpreted your comment of rho finding out his partner has the red suits as suggesting they would find a bid at the 5 level. Obviously you meant it as helping him on the lead. I am also not totally concerned about that. He might find out his partner has the red suits and lead a diamond to let us make. He might lead a heart and find that lets us make (qx into declarer's kjx, kx i to declarer's ajx). If he has a 3C bid and you jump to game over it he will probably not lead a club since he will not think he is leading through your kxx or anything.

I also think you underestimate the chances that they are in big trouble. They don't always find their best fit on these auctions. They may even be in the middle of a major misunderstanding leading to a disaster, rho making the same bid he would have made without partner's double, lho thinking this shows a genuine club suit and passing with the red suits. Or maybe 3C does show a genuine suit but lho doesn't pass with his 2551 and his partner is 2227. There are a lot of ways they can be in big trouble here.
- billw55

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users