BBO Discussion Forums: Where do you leak the most points? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where do you leak the most points?

#61 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-28, 13:41

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-August-28, 13:26, said:

I have never seen 64 boards squeezed into two sessions.

Every day in the Vanderbilt and Spingold. Four quarters of 16 boards, two quarters to a session.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#62 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-28, 14:10

View PostVampyr, on 2013-August-28, 13:22, said:

So what is "common" or "often"? Obviously this varies from player to player, depending on what size price you want to pay for having what you consider a "perfect" system. But system forgets are bad for partnership harmony, and put pressure on the player who is usually the one who forgets. It seems to me that once in every 20 sessions is too much, but as I said, YMMV.

+1.

In fact I would argue that a "perfect system" must take the vagaries of human memory in account. Some may argue that it's just a question of "regularly reviewing notes", but in my experience, reinforcement is more a function of actual frequency of the gadget than of rote memorization.
foobar on BBO

#63 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-August-28, 14:46

View Postjogs, on 2013-August-28, 12:07, said:

You should be reviewing your system notes before every session.

No you shouldn't. You should know your system notes well enough so that you don't need to review them regularly.

#64 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-28, 15:39

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-August-28, 14:46, said:

No you shouldn't. You should know your system notes well enough so that you don't need to review them regularly.

That depends how often you've gone back and forth on playing Reverse Baze versus Regular Baze :) Changing your system frequently takes its toll on memory, as does playing similar but slightly different treatments with different partners. It's not uncommon to play different variants of super-accept, pre-accept, Smolen, Puppet, 3-level bids over 1nt, 2-way NMF, Wolff, Baze, defenses over 1nt, defenses over intervention of 1nt with different partners. And the list is far from exhaustive.

It's not as simple to get rid of all these conventions or even play a "standard" version, as quite often there're no standards for a treatment. They don't even have proper nomenclature to name the variations.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#65 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-August-28, 19:12

Some players easily adopt from system to system. Some can't overcome it, just like some players have never adopted to upside down carding.

This necessarily isn't a bridge 'skill', but if you are playing in multiple partnerships and you have an oops, it has a detrimental effect.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#66 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-28, 20:14

View PostPhil, on 2013-August-28, 19:12, said:

Some players easily adopt from system to system. Some can't overcome it, just like some players have never adopted to upside down carding.

This necessarily isn't a bridge 'skill', but if you are playing in multiple partnerships and you have an oops, it has a detrimental effect.

Actually, I dropped a ton of MPs in Atlanta when playing with my flight B partner because I didn't adjust to playing with her as opposed to my regular partner - I tried to be a butterfly when I needed to be a hammer, both in defense and in the bidding.
Chris Gibson

#67 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-August-29, 02:20

I don't think it matters whether you know your system because you know it, or because you spent the last two hours reading the notes. All that matters is that (a) you know it and (b) the effort required doesn't affect any other part of your game.

That's easier said than done, of course.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#68 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-29, 07:19

I leak the most points with my dummy play :P

On a more serious note, bidding judgement and defense. I never forget my system. Declarer play fluctuates from time to time.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#69 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-29, 08:19

View PostFree, on 2013-August-29, 07:19, said:

I leak the most points with my dummy play :P

Believe it or not, I think you CAN leak points as dummy. I see dummies toss the cards carelessly on the table with cards hidden or suits of different length taking up the same space side by side. I always take a moment to be sure that all the 3-card suits are the same physical length, and that the difference between e.g. a 3- and a 4-card suit is the same as between a 4- and a 5-card suit. This saves declarer a tiny bit of mental effort that will add up by the end of the event.

One partner has said appreciatively that in the time we played together he never misread one of my dummies. We had a bit more success than you would expect given our MPs and experience, and I like to think this was a small part of that.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#70 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-29, 08:53

Giving other players at the table too much credit.

#71 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-29, 09:21

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-August-29, 08:19, said:

Believe it or not, I think you CAN leak points as dummy. I see dummies toss the cards carelessly on the table with cards hidden or suits of different length taking up the same space side by side. I always take a moment to be sure that all the 3-card suits are the same physical length, and that the difference between e.g. a 3- and a 4-card suit is the same as between a 4- and a 5-card suit. This saves declarer a tiny bit of mental effort that will add up by the end of the event.

One partner has said appreciatively that in the time we played together he never misread one of my dummies. We had a bit more success than you would expect given our MPs and experience, and I like to think this was a small part of that.

You certainly can leak points as dummy, a lesson I learned early the hard way is never to put down dummy in NT in such a way that a plausible trump suit is where it would be if you were playing in a suit contract. Partner tried to ruff Ax opposite x for the overtrick in 6N :(

#72 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-August-29, 09:45

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-August-29, 08:53, said:

Giving other players at the table too much credit.

I didn't realize we'd played each other :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#73 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-August-29, 09:55

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-August-29, 09:21, said:

You certainly can leak points as dummy, a lesson I learned early the hard way is never to put down dummy in NT in such a way that a plausible trump suit is where it would be if you were playing in a suit contract.

Doesn't the best strategy depend on your estimate of the opponent's ability too? I quite like the idea of the defenders trying to give each other ruffs in 3NT.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#74 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-29, 10:24

You certainly can leak points as dummy, a lesson I learned early the hard way is never to put down dummy in NT in such a way that a plausible trump suit is where it would be if you were playing in a suit contract. Partner tried to ruff Ax opposite x for the overtrick in 6N :(

Yes, I meant to mention that as well; thanks for bringing it up. Also, I always put down the trump suit (if any) first, and the strong suits before the weak suits, so partner isn't thinking "You DO have something, right?" People who put down half the trump suit at first and save the rest of it for last "Just kidding, partner" deserve to die lonely deaths.

#75 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-August-29, 10:32

For the casual reader: Free referred to dummy play, which is the art/skill of declaring.

However GreenMan, Cyberyetti, and Gnasher already know this and have grazed the tip of an iceberg about the effects of dummy-putting (arrangement and display of dummy's cards).

(Edit) There is another definition of dummy-putting, where I sometimes leak points: putting down a Dummy which doesn't look like the hand I held on the auction.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#76 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-29, 11:06

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-August-29, 10:32, said:

(Edit) There is another definition of dummy-putting, where I sometimes leak points: putting down a Dummy which doesn't look like the hand I held on the auction.

I gain points at least as often as I leak them on the frequent occasions I do this :)

#77 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-29, 11:12

Dummies that aren't diligent about preventing declarer revokes can leak points too (rarely yes, but when it happens at a national level KO where every IMP counts)...
foobar on BBO

#78 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-August-29, 11:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-August-29, 11:06, said:

I gain points at least as often as I leak them on the frequent occasions I do this :)

I have the disadvange of a partner who believes my bidding.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#79 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-29, 12:43

"Sorry, partner, my fault, I assumed you had your bid."

#80 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-29, 13:07

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-August-29, 11:37, said:

I have the disadvange of a partner who believes my bidding.

My partner believes mine, but occasionally so do the opponents.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users