BBO Discussion Forums: Mars mission! - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mars mission!

Poll: Mars mission! (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you apply?

1. Yes (3 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. No (13 votes [81.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

Will it actually happen (roughly) as planned?

1. Yes (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No (12 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-April-26, 08:57

I thought this was the Water Cooler?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-26, 09:02

It still is afaik.

Does your question suggest you didn't get the reference?
OK
bed

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-April-28, 06:11

Yes.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-10, 16:54

I took a look at mars one webpage, it looks like they plan to have a water source: the ice in mars underground. They really plan to start sending people regularilly to mars to live their lives.

I am starting to think this could be possible.

Some research also probed that there are plans to build space elevators, and probably it will be possibl during this century: http://en.wikipedia....trial_elevators

The problem with elevators is that 36.000km is just too much for the cable right now, and the weight is incredible, however a space elevator in mars would be a lot easier (17.000 km and 38% gravity)

#25 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-13, 06:41

Fluffy, on 2013-May-10, 16:54, said:

I am starting to think this could be possible.

I can't tell if you are serious or trolling us (likewise for the yes votes in the poll).

To me the whole thing sounds like an obvious joke or hoax.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#26 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-May-16, 00:34

Not joking!, the only difference between staying a few week iin space station and forever in mars is that you need water source and food source, they seem to have a plan for both, so there is really only a logistic problem solved with money.

#27 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-16, 05:01

Fluffy, on 2013-May-16, 00:34, said:

Not joking!, the only difference between staying a few week iin space station and forever in mars is that you need water source and food source, they seem to have a plan for both, so there is really only a logistic problem solved with money.

There may be a few other details to work out..the air isn't breathable, for one. Temperature moderation is another, NASA site says that
The temperature on Mars may reach a high of about 70 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) at noon, at the equator in the summer, or a low of about -225 degrees Fahrenheit (-153 degrees Celsius) at the poles. Obviously this is very inhospitable for humans, but it is also of some concern for the electronics and mechanical parts of a Mars airplane and its instrumentation. In the mid-latitudes, the average temperature would be about -50 degrees Celsius with a nighttime minimum of -60 degrees Celsius and a summer midday maximum of about 0 degrees Celsius.

If you think that's appealing, you should come live in Saskatchewan <_<

Further down the article it says that Mars is cooling but nobody knows why..we finally know what to blame our global warming on!

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-16, 08:12

onoway, on 2013-May-16, 05:01, said:

Further down the article it says that Mars is cooling but nobody knows why..we finally know what to blame our global warming on!

Earth sucks and Mars blows? Sounds like there's no place nice to live these days.

#29 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-May-17, 19:11

this sounds like some bad fiction novel

barmar, on 2013-May-16, 08:12, said:

Earth sucks and Mars blows? Sounds like there's no place nice to live these days.

:o
Become yourself.

#30 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-June-03, 14:38

onoway, on 2013-May-16, 05:01, said:

There may be a few other details to work out..the air isn't breathable, for one. Temperature moderation is another, NASA site says that
The temperature on Mars may reach a high of about 70 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) at noon, at the equator in the summer, or a low of about -225 degrees Fahrenheit (-153 degrees Celsius) at the poles. Obviously this is very inhospitable for humans, but it is also of some concern for the electronics and mechanical parts of a Mars airplane and its instrumentation. In the mid-latitudes, the average temperature would be about -50 degrees Celsius with a nighttime minimum of -60 degrees Celsius and a summer midday maximum of about 0 degrees Celsius.

If you think that's appealing, you should come live in Saskatchewan <_<

I am not enterilly sure but I though that outside international space station in the space the temperature is minimum (-273), so being on mars can't be any worse, they will need a lot of insulating material and a lot of energy (solar panels).

They are not bringing air to international space station either, they filter it (more energy).

What they discovered now, is that cosmic radiation is too high for them to travel (they would have a high % of developing cancer during the 7 month trip), they are trying to solve it increasing the speed of the journey, but that needs more fuel, wich is more money.

#31 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-03, 14:47

Fluffy, on 2013-June-03, 14:38, said:

I am not enterilly sure but I though that outside international space station in the space the temperature is minimum (-273), so being on mars can't be any worse, they will need a lot of insulating material and a lot of energy (solar panels).

There is a 2nd factor in heating that you are not considering Fluffy.

Space is essentially a perfect insulator, the only way to lose heat is to radiate it via light, mostly in the infrared. This is a relatively slow way to lose heat compared to being in an atmosphere, even one as relatively warm(as compared to space) and thin(as compared to Earth) as the one on Mars.

#32 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2013-June-03, 15:11

Thx, that's what I was referring to when I said not fully sure, so cold matter sucks your heat, but space doesn't, that creates another problem*. Still one that is solved just by energy, but obviously energy has its limits.

*Didn't they have to fight with that on moon landing also?, Moon doesn't have an appreciable atmosphere, but a tiny one just to make the lower part of legs freeze?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users