BBO Discussion Forums: How can we stop at four? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +

How can we stop at four? And other questions in between...

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-April-27, 16:57

AQJx
ATxxx

9xxx

Tx
K97x
AQJT9
Ax

1-2
2-3
4-4NT
5-Pass

Trumps 4-0, club lead and spade finesse wrong. Is 2 ok or should North just bid 2 and wait for South to bid spades in case he has them? Do you bid 2 or prefer to show a balanced 4-card support with a balanced hand? Do you continue over 4 or 'respect' partner's signoff?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-27, 17:20

1-3 (enough to GF, HHxxx, Hxxx or better, H=AKQ or old fashioned rock crusher)
3(bad hand in context of good opposite)-4(club control, no spade control, no second diamond control, 2 suited type still interested)
4-P

6 is not actually that bad a contract on these 2 hands particularly if you don't get a club lead, I take it the ruffing finesse isn't working either.

#3 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-April-27, 20:01

View PostHanoi5, on 2013-April-27, 16:57, said:

Is 2 ok or should North just bid 2 and wait for South to bid spades in case he has them?

That depends...what are your default agreements? Does 2 promise extras? if so, then I would prefer 2 given the weakness. Replace any with the K and 2 would be spot on. If not promising extras then 2 is appropriate.

Do you bid 2 or prefer to show a balanced 4-card support with a balanced hand?

Whether 2N or 2 is better depends on your agreements and what you want to know. If you want partner to judge their hand by Hearts and degree of fit with your second suit, then 2 is better than 2N. That presumes you can convince partner you indeed hold 4-card support. If partner will never expect 4-card support after a 2/1 force, then 2N might be better. Besides, we're not likely going to play this hand in . One small advantage for 2N is partner an tell you immediately if they hold a singleton/void. That would make you very interested in slam.

Do you continue over 4 or 'respect' partner's signoff?

Depends on your control bidding agreements. There is a strong inference that partner has nothing to offer in the minors when s/he raises 3 to 4. You need help in both suits to make slam a sure thing. With extras and say, AQJx ATxxx -- Kxxx partner might find a 4 bid in the way to 4. Or, with AQJx ATxxx Kx xx, a 4!D bid on the way to 4.

Respecting this forum I'll simply mention that looking at serious/frivolous 3NT is another advanced way to know when you are in a slam auction and when you are not.

One auction might be:
1 - 2
2 - 3
Here 3 invites control bidding and 4 says no extras, clearly.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-27, 20:15

1H-2D
2S-3H
4H....We stop at four by passing at this point. If Opener were even slightly impressed by the fact that responder has a Diamond suit and heart support, he would find something other than 4H to bid. It doesn't matter whether you call it serious/non-serious or whatever. Those toys are not appropriate for this forum anyway. Responder has what he said he has, and if opener doesn't want to make a move, let it go.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-April-28, 09:35

1. 2 is a crime in most systems. Your hand is a weak 1 opening and the value decreased with partners 2 bid. Rebid 2 .
2. It is a matter of style whether you show your balanced raise or your nice suit. I prefer the raise, but in polish club you often show your suit first with good results too.
3. I would never "respect" 4 . Partner showed a hand about at least an ace stronger then he holds.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-28, 09:40

View PostCodo, on 2013-April-28, 09:35, said:

1. 2 is a crime in most systems. Your hand is a weak 1 opening and the value decreased with partners 2 bid. Rebid 2 .

You are assuming a non 2/1 game force system, and I was assuming 2D was G.F. It is not specified in the OP.

If 2/1 is G.F. the crime would be showing only five cards when we could have shown 9 without increasing the level.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-April-28, 11:59

This is more system fix than anything. 2D is way better than another type support bid as it shows where the source of side tricks may come from provided there is a fit in diamonds. 2H rebid is not automatic and many (not me) play the 2H rebid as 6 card suit and the reverse (2S) as showing no extra. Problem with this latter treatment is that no bridge guru determined reverses show extras, they show extras because they eat up room and cause partner to take a preference at a higher level - it takes extra strength to make up for the lost space.

I suggest 1H-2D, 2H-3H (if forcing) or simply 4H if not forcing. Over 3H with the weak opener I would simply bid 4H, showing no slam interest but not denying a spade control as I play.

The decision is one of treatment. Some open 2D with the weakish 45 major hand to solve just this problem.

Good luck.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2013-April-28, 12:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-28, 09:40, said:

You are assuming a non 2/1 game force system, and I was assuming 2D was G.F. It is not specified in the OP.

If 2/1 is G.F. the crime would be showing only five cards when we could have shown 9 without increasing the level.

I won't bet on that. Despite the fact that you will find many players who will agree with you, I guess that the majority will rebid 2 in a 2/1 context too....
Kind Regards

Roland

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-April-28, 13:02

View PostWinstonm, on 2013-April-28, 11:59, said:

many (not me) play the 2H rebid as 6 card suit and the reverse (2S) as showing no extra. Problem with this latter treatment is that no bridge guru determined reverses show extras, they show extras because they eat up room and cause partner to take a preference at a higher level - it takes extra strength to make up for the lost space.

How is this a problem when you are already forced to game? I thought that the main advantage of 2/1 GF was that you could show your shape.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-28, 13:11

View PostCodo, on 2013-April-28, 12:13, said:

I won't bet on that. Despite the fact that you will find many players who will agree with you, I guess that the majority will rebid 2 in a 2/1 context too....

You could be right. A majority committing a crime is still a crime, however.

#11 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-28, 13:57

Seems as if the main takeaway from this thread is to have clear agreements on whether 2 shows extras after a 2/1 and to talk about contexts for showing controls. It matters less what you agree on than that you talk about it at all; knowing what partner has, and knowing partner can tell what you have, makes everything easier.

If you find yourself in this situation without clear agreements, augahombre's analysis is probably best. You showed your hand and partner wasn't impressed, so better not to force things.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#12 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-28, 13:58

Seems as if the main takeaway from this thread is to have clear agreements on whether 2 shows extras after a 2/1 and to talk about contexts for showing controls. It matters less what you agree on than that you talk about it at all; knowing what partner has, and knowing partner can tell what you have, makes everything easier.

If you find yourself in this situation without clear agreements, augahombre's analysis is probably best. You showed your hand and partner wasn't impressed, so better not to force things.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-28, 14:59

1H-3D (GF fit jump)
4H (minimum hand)-pass

easy :)

A lot of it does come down to 2S which most people would understand as a reverse. Even playing reverses 15+ like I do after a 2/1, 2S is still a huge overbid on the North hand. Remember kids: a void in partner's suit is only a good thing when defending a trump contract :)

ahydra

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-April-28, 18:08

Well there you go. I was just thinking of this problem last night. Those who reverse into 2S, and many play this style, without this bid showing extras will have problems. (It helps to play the weasel convention here). I would definitely rebid 2H. Now if you play 2/1, 3H and 4H are obvious.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-April-28, 18:11

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-28, 09:40, said:

Absolutely disagree with this. Even in 2/1, 2s is an awful bid imo. This bid should show extra values.However that is the way that i play; I know others play it differently.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2013-April-29, 00:30

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-28, 13:11, said:

You could be right. A majority committing a crime is still a crime, however.

Sure, but to call it a crime does not make it a crime.
If you have no spade fit, it will often be not too important to tell partner that you hold four of them.
And if you have a spade fit, compare these two bidding-sequences:
1: 1 2 223
2. 1 2 2 3 4

In both ways you have shown a minimum opener with 5+ hearts and 4 spades. But in the first you are MUCH lower....
So I think that even in 2/1, 2 it is a crime, but I know that this is not everybodies cup of tea.
Kind Regards

Roland

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2013-April-29, 09:35

Where I learned 2/1, reverses and 3 level rebids showed extras after a 2/1. This really helps these 4-level "have either of us actually shown anything?" slam decisions.

Where I live, shape rules. That does help in finding those third-suit and fit- or crossruff- slams. But we get to 4 and don't know if partner knows we have extras, or if partner has extras. It also allows 2 to be so often 6 that we can raise on two small; which is an advantage.

Having said that, assuming 2 can be a minimum, just looking for the right contract, 4 is a warning. We're either off the A, or partner thinks his hand poor for slam. In either case, he's right with just (a very good) 14.

I can't see anything different happening after 1-2; 2-3; 4. If the south hand is going to Crackwood anyway, he's going to. If South thought 2 showed extras, I have no problems with 4NT; but if that's the case, then North and South need to work this out between them.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-29, 09:48

View PostCodo, on 2013-April-29, 00:30, said:

Sure, but to call it a crime does not make it a crime.

And my strong feelings on the issue don't mean I want to foist them on your partnership. Point taken. I used "crime" because the word was used by you, when advocating the other side in Post #5.

We draw a line, where 2S in this G.F. 2/1 auction does not show extras and relieves some of the default possibilities of the nebulous 2H rebid --yet we require extras for a high-reverse after 2/1.

1M-2D
3C....requires the extras you were talking about.

BTW: I think we are stretching the bounds of this forum.

#19 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-29, 10:16

I feel the worst crime is not playing an immediate GF 4 card raise response .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-April-29, 10:20

View PostVampyr, on 2013-April-28, 13:02, said:

How is this a problem when you are already forced to game? I thought that the main advantage of 2/1 GF was that you could show your shape.

Some people believe it is an advantage to show shape first and catch up later on strength - I happen to be one who disagrees with that idea. Why divulge information that can help opponents when all we want to do is be in game?

I believe the reason a reverse shows extras extends to all cases. The simple auction 1D-1S-2H required extra strength because it forces partner to make a choice at the 3 level. The same holds true to 1H-2C-2S. I think it is more important playing 2/1 to show extra values with 2S than to use that bid to show all 4/5 patterns.

This has a downside. Rebidding the opening suit no longer shows 6. If your reverses show no extra, then rebid shows 6. There are many other twists and turns in deciding how to play this sequence. For example, if you reverse with a weak hand, are you then forced to rebid 2NT with all 5332 hands, regardless of stoppers?

Adopting a bidding style is like dropping a pebble into a quiet pond - the ripples go on and on and on.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users