• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL GCC legal preempt?

#41 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-01, 10:10

CRASH was a casualty of war, not a target, when they required bids of 2D and higher over 1NT to have a known anchor suit.

The enemies were a certain West Coast player and Suction. Double, 2C, 2D, & 2H showed either the next suit or the two touching suits above it ---with double and 2C containing a third possibility (the xfer suit and the non-touching suit).
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#42 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-01, 12:03

Frankly the idea that someone who makes the rules of our game might target a particular player's methods because (a) he doesn't like the player, or the player, using the method, got a good result against him, and (b) he has the power to prevent him from playing it makes me want to puke.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#43 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-May-01, 12:10

Your digestive system is another casualty of war.

#44 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-01, 13:23

Yeah, I know. It still sucks.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#45 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-21, 14:15

Followup after correspondence with ACBL:
Quotes are paraphrased.

ACBL official #1: "Bid is clearly not GCC legal. To my knowledge no one from this office previously approved this".

Local tourney director: "System was approved in emails from HQ to the local event coordinator".

Local event coordinator: "I had the emails but I deleted all of them. Check with ACBL official #1, he was included in them."

ACBL official #1: "I have no such emails nor memory of such previous emails".

My conclusion: hrothgar is right, ACBL is legitimately incompetent.

#46 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-May-21, 17:06

Not even close to a valid conclusion. You might conclude that a local tournament director who wrongly approved something falsely attributed his decision to an imaginary email which he now claims to have deleted. But, I can't imagine concluding that ACBL itself is incompetent.

#47 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-21, 20:38

An organization is incompetent if the majority of its people are incompetent. OTOH, it may be that the majority are competent, but a significant minority are not.

It is possible that "local TD" is lying or misremembering. Same is true of "ACBL Official #1". I tend to disbelieve lying, unless the person concerned is a politician, and his lips are moving.
--------------------

#48 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-May-21, 20:50

Yeh, well, when a local TD says the dog ate his homework, I have an opinion.

#49 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-21, 21:52

Some people toss emails as soon as they read them, and forget them sooner than that. I'm not making excuses for this guy, maybe he is telling porkies. But I'd like a little more evidence than this.
--------------------

#50 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-May-21, 22:12

O.K. Look at it another way: You know it is not GCC legal. An official confirms it is not GCC legal. Somebody elsewhere claims he was told by HQ it was legal, but has no record to substantiate that.

Do we conclude that ACBL mgmt. is incompetent? I believe the "little more evidence" leans in a different direction.

#51 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-21, 22:38

I thought we were looking solely at the question of whether the ACBL official referenced was being honest. And I have not concluded that ACBL Management is in general incompetent.
--------------------

#52 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-May-21, 22:43

Focus, Ed....Start with post #45.

#53 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-22, 07:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-May-21, 22:12, said:

Do we conclude that ACBL mgmt. is incompetent? I believe the "little more evidence" leans in a different direction.

FWIW, I agree completely that one shouldn't conclude anything from a single data point, however, we aren't working from a single data point.

1. Over the past decade there have been multiple threads describing precisely the same problem
2. A few years back a number of people tried to engage with Memphis to determine whether a Muiderberg 2S opening was legal at the GCC level. We were never able to get a satisfactory answer.
3. The ACBL doesn't have any standard mechanism to communicate this type of information. (There is nothing remotely equivalent to either the Orange Book or the White Book). What we do have a large number of unofficial contradictory opinions distributed through highly unreliable channels.

If I had to deal with these types of idiots in my profession life I'd see the lot of them fired...
Alderaan delenda est

#54 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-May-22, 08:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-May-22, 07:13, said:

2. A few years back a number of people tried to engage with Memphis to determine whether a Muiderberg 2S opening was legal at the GCC level. We were never able to get a satisfactory answer.

Since the GCC spells it out for us that two-suited 2M openings must have 10+ pts and two known suits --also stating that what is not spelled out as allowed is not allowed-- I would guess people who tried to question Memphis regarding this were trying to get a different answer satisfactory to them.

If it weren't clear enough in the GCC, the Mid-chart (item 12 of "allowed") specifically addresses Muiderberg 2M preempts ---implying that Mid Chart, not GCC, allows it.

#55 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-22, 08:48

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-May-22, 08:39, said:

I would guess people who tried to question Memphis regarding this were trying to get a different answer satisfactory to them.

And you would be wrong...

The purpose of this little experiment was to see how many different official answers we could get from Memphis.

We were explicitly testing whether the organization was capable of providing consistent rulings.
Guess what... It's not.

FWIW, I agree with you.
I don't think that a Muiderberg 2S opening is legal at the GCC level.
But that's neither here nor there.

I believe that Phil was the one who got a ruling from Memphis stating that Muiderberg is legal at the GCC level.
Alderaan delenda est

#56 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-May-22, 09:02

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-May-21, 22:43, said:

Focus, Ed....Start with post #45.

No, you focus - and 45 is where I started.

The general topic of #45 is whether the ACBL is incompetent. You said no, in #46, rather (in your opinion) "ACBL Official #1" lied. I said (#47) that I tend generally not to believe someone is lying. Put it another way: I'd tend to believe, where there's a discrepancy between what someone says and reality, that the person is not deliberately lying - there's some other explanation for the discrepancy. The discussion continued in #48 and #49, the subject being whether the official lied - you say yes, I say probably not. And now you tell me to "focus"? Pfui.
--------------------

#57 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-22, 10:25

In this particular case - oddball "quasi-GCC" calls and the GCC - the ACBL isn't consistent and doesn't either make official-case rulings or keep track of them. There are three places that could issue official rulings and keep track of them; none of them choose to.

There are things that the ACBL does very well, and one of them is keep the median-age and median-experience players happy playing. And the large majority of the ACBL population is close to median-age and/or median-experience.

Sometimes, the way they do that is frustrate the non-MA/ME players into playing "normal stuff". It wouldn't surprise me if there are some in the chain who are doing it deliberately; I know there are people in the chain who know that this is happening and don't consider it a problem. Part of it is paternalism: "we know what's best for you"; part of it is irrelevance: "well, we can play this stuff, so if others think it's 'too hard' for the rank-and-file, I'll just go with that because it doesn't affect me"; part of it is "it works, by and large; why change it?"; part of it I am sure is a lack of care of how the relevant committees are made up (specifically, a lack of rank-and-file AND a lack of process-priority people on the relevant committees); part of it is surely bureaucracy and red tape. A large part of it is that this work is largely volunteer (or, for the paid TDs, extraneous to "real job requirements"), and doing it right would either be more time than the volunteers wish to give, or cost money on something "nobody" thinks is a big problem.

But an awful lot of it is that, for 99+% of ACBL players, this will never come up - they won't even get close to the boundary. And, if anything, they're kind of happy that nobody they play against is playing close to the boundary either. You and I are not that 99%.

Of course, with the age of world-wide bridge, that could be changing; I had to explain to a pair in the 199er game that they can't play "multi-Landy" just because they can play "Landy"; and yes, I know that everyone and their grandmother play it in England (and a significant number of experts play it, because they think it's that good. And one of these days this pair is going to play in a separated Flight A game, and they'll be playing against this, and they won't have the experience the "GCC-is-an-exception" pairs have with it or against it. Oh well.) I'm sure the same is going to apply to "2 ART clubs or LR", or the dreaded real Multi, or... I'm also sure that this change won't be noted by the people responsible for making these rules.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#58 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-22, 12:37

I wonder if there is room for another federation to make things more interesting. How do ABA regs compare to the ACBL? I'd love to see an org sponsor tournaments under far more liberal/progressive regime, with the stated purpose of fostering the highest quality of lay possible, and using e.g. EBU or (even better) Aussie rules. I'd have no problem driving a couple states away to play in something akin to an ACBL sectional in scope, if I could play full-blow FANTUNES or Moscito, and know the directors would be transparent, and trained to a high standard. The opposite of the current ACBL which is feeling more and more like a masterpoint lottery, and/or duplicate party bridge.

#59 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-22, 14:30

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-May-22, 08:39, said:

Since the GCC spells it out for us that two-suited 2M openings must have 10+ pts and two known suits --also stating that what is not spelled out as allowed is not allowed-- I would guess people who tried to question Memphis regarding this were trying to get a different answer satisfactory to them.

If it weren't clear enough in the GCC, the Mid-chart (item 12 of "allowed") specifically addresses Muiderberg 2M preempts ---implying that Mid Chart, not GCC, allows it.

I wish the GCC and Mid Chart were a little clearer on this, but Item 12 does cover it. And for those people who think even that isn't clear (i.e. it doesn't say 5+ M with 4+ m), then this is the link to the ACBL Defense Database, where MC items that need defenses are located. Muiderberg 2M is found on this link.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#60 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-22, 18:49

View Postmycroft, on 2013-May-22, 10:25, said:

There are things that the ACBL does very well, and one of them is keep the median-age and median-experience players happy playing. And the large majority of the ACBL population is close to median-age and/or median-experience.

But an awful lot of it is that, for 99+% of ACBL players, this will never come up - they won't even get close to the boundary. And, if anything, they're kind of happy that nobody they play against is playing close to the boundary either. You and I are not that 99%.

View PostTylerE, on 2013-May-22, 12:37, said:

I wonder if there is room for another federation to make things more interesting. How do ABA regs compare to the ACBL? I'd love to see an org sponsor tournaments under far more liberal/progressive regime, with the stated purpose of fostering the highest quality of lay possible, and using e.g. EBU or (even better) Aussie rules. I'd have no problem driving a couple states away to play in something akin to an ACBL sectional in scope, if I could play full-blow FANTUNES or Moscito, and know the directors would be transparent, and trained to a high standard. The opposite of the current ACBL which is feeling more and more like a masterpoint lottery, and/or duplicate party bridge.

I think mycroft is right on this one. The vast majority of ACBL members want something basically like duplicate party bridge. (Frankly, most (but not all) of the time, I want basically duplicate party bridge myself.) I think maybe three or four major metropolitan areas in the US have enough really serious bridge players for a weird-conventions-expected high-quality tournament as you would describe.

And even in those places, they could only have such a game a few times a year, because most of the really serious players are pros, and they would have to take an earnings-free week(end) to play, because there is no way their clients would play in such an event.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users