BBO Discussion Forums: You may have some difficulty believing this, but it actually happened - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

You may have some difficulty believing this, but it actually happened ACBL, but possible anywhere, I suppose

#21 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-13, 01:34

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-May-13, 01:06, said:

View Postpran, on 2013-May-11, 06:16, said:

When STOP (and ALERT) was introduced in Norway one of the original rules was that STOP was mandatory with 1NT opening bids showing less than (I believe) 15 HCP. (The "normal" HCP range for 1 NT opening bids was, and still is 15-17).

The Secretary General of the Norwegian Bridge Federation told me some years later that they had had to drop this STOP rule because players within some Norwegian regions had "invented" a new system where STOP 1NT showed 12-14 HCP and 1NT without STOP showed 15-17 HCP.

As he said: "It was completely impossible to make these guys understand that this was illegal use of STOP!"

It should have been no surprise. What you had there was self-announcement of bid meaning, and that is obviously liable to abuse in at-the-table bridge without screens. Announcement "weak" by the bidder's partner would have been a securer way to achieve the same objective.

This happened when STOP was introduced (some 20 years ago?), before we had any experience with such procedures. Today we require announcement (by opener's partner) on all opening bids in the range 1NT - 2.

Problem definitely solved.

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-13, 10:37

This very strongly depends on the players. I would assume we can tell the difference between "just out of class" and "life novice". One gets a delicate explanation, the other at least a stern warning. Having said that, if I'm in a 24-board match against either class, I'm not going to worry about it, as long as they correctly Alert everything.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2013-May-15, 16:55

View PostMcBruce, on 2013-May-11, 05:22, said:

Novice/intermediate game (0-750 MP, very few Life Masters, for those familiar with ACBL numbers) at a sectional (local) tournament. Opening leader is calling because an auction seems odd:

East opened 2, West responded 2, and after three passes that is the final contract.

E-W are very nice new players, possibly at their first tournament, but have been seen at the club a few times in the entry-level lesson-games.

West explains that the review is slightly incorrect: actually, the auction went like this:

East displayed the Stop card and opened 2, West responded 2, and after three passes that is the final contract.

When you ask how this is different, West explains patiently that with the Stop card they play this as a preempt. Without the Stop card, it's strong and forcing. She is entirely serious, completely without guilt or fear, and East has six losers and seven clubs to the AKQJ. The only thing you have going for you is that these opponents are kind enough to let you handle it. Your move, TD. (Tread carefully.)

Haha, I have a similar story to this. Bidding goes 1H - 2S all pass. 2S shows up with a monster. Both novices. 1H bidder explains to his partner that he should use the STOP card for that hand, and to bid 2S directly with a weak hand.

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-16, 08:08

We should get those two novices to play together, so that they can have a permanent disagreement over whether the stop card is for weak or strong hands.

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-16, 08:50

View Postnige1, on 2013-May-11, 16:34, said:

Thank you, that accords with the general approach of local regulators :)

I agree; this alert regulation would not be sensible in some parts of the world, but it works for the ACBL, so they use it there.

I commend you for pointing out an example that runs counter to your usual argument.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users