• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's suggested?

#61 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-19, 22:15

View Postcampboy, on 2013-May-19, 16:11, said:

I agree that "might" is a bit weak and would prefer "might well" or "would be likely to". But I think "would" is far too strong. In a hypothetical case where everyone says they would toss a mental coin between two alternatives, it should be clear that each is an LA and yet under your suggested wording it would seem to me that neither is an LA.

I don't understand. If they would toss a coin, that means that half of them would take each action. That certainly fits "some would take it".

#62 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-20, 02:52

View Postbarmar, on 2013-May-19, 22:15, said:

I don't understand. If they would toss a coin, that means that half of them would take each action. That certainly fits "some would take it".

It means that on average you would expect about half to take it, not that half would take it in any given instance. Also, one plausible interpretation of "some would take it" is that there are some specific people who would take it; I think the wording needs to make it clear that that isn't what is meant.

If you think that "some would take it" is satisfied whenever there are players who would take the action some of the time, then I don't see any difference between the two wordings.

#63 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-20, 03:33

View Postcampboy, on 2013-May-19, 16:11, said:

I agree that "might" is a bit weak and would prefer "might well" or "would be likely to". But I think "would" is far too strong. In a hypothetical case where everyone says they would toss a mental coin between two alternatives, it should be clear that each is an LA and yet under your suggested wording it would seem to me that neither is an LA.

And I agree that it is very likely that an action which is being seriously considered by a significant number will satisfy the other criterion -- whatever it is -- and the TD will usually judge that it does. But the TD might sometimes judge otherwise.

The EBU doesn't agree with you. As gordontd states, the advice is:
"If a significant proportion would consider the action, then the TD should next decide whether some would actually choose it." (my emphasis)
The TD is not asked to judge whether some of them might choose it, as they would be if one followed the wrong wording of the Law.

And for what it is worth if everyone would toss a mental coin then it would be judged that some might choose it and some would choose it, in both cases 50% - assuming the mental coin is unbiased.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users