BBO Discussion Forums: Do you respond with this 5HCP hand? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Do you respond with this 5HCP hand?

#21 User is offline   madongjun 

• China
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Economics、sports

Posted 2013-May-31, 03:15

If you play 2 over 1 system,bid 1.

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-31, 10:50

Matchpoints in the N/B forum. Do we not think that 1 is going to be an easier contract to not pitch tricks on than 1 or 2NT by a N/B? Either we're playing against better players, in which case, they're more likely to hit and clearly more likely to take all their tricks in bad contracts (even in good contracts) if we bid; conversely, they're more likely to get to the right contract if we pass - but that should be A- to A; or we're playing against other N/Bs in which case we're taking the last guess rather than putting it to them; when it's matchpoint right to bid, you'll have company passing; when it's matchpoint wrong to bid, you'll also have company.

So it still looks like "make the safest call" is correct MP strategy to me here, and the big holes outweigh the smaller peaks IMestimation.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-May-31, 14:49

View PostSimonFa, on 2013-May-28, 02:40, said:

MP, all white, 2/1. 7 6 5 2 9 5 3 K 8 7 Q 7 4
1C (P) ?
On the plus side you do have 4 Spades but on the negative side they're pretty anemic and it is a 4333 hand. I know its a bidders game but is this pushing it too far?
IMO 1 = 10, 1N = 8, Pass = 7.
My hero, John Collings would pass such hands, so I did too, until I noticed that most experts seem to dredge up a reply on practically anything. 1 is pushy and mis-descriptive but pre-emptive. Also, It increases our prospects of declaring (easier than defending); and of reaching one notrump before opponents do (an important goal, not-vulnerable at match-pointed pairs). You don't need to worry about the possibility of 1NX -500 because, at MP pairs, you are concerned about frequency of gain rather than amount of gain (the latter is more important at IMPS/teams). Finally, playing 2/1, partner will sometimes have a better chance of making 2N than 1.

#24 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-June-01, 01:10

Thanks for all the responses.

Being on the conservative side I passed but I did think long and hard about 1 spade, so its good to see that even such an august body don't think there is an obvious bid.

As it happens pass was the winning bid this time just making, 1 Spade -2 and 1NT -1 but in these situation I suppose it could go anyway.

Simon

#25 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-01, 02:37

View PostSimonFa, on 2013-June-01, 01:10, said:

As it happens pass was the winning bid this time just making, 1 Spade -2 and 1NT -1 but in these situation I suppose it could go anyway.

Simon

I don't follow. Why was one off 1NT a losing board? Were we doubled?

#26 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-June-01, 04:49

1S on this is very poor regardless of the form of the game. If MP and you do not win the auction and are not on lead, do you want pd to lead a S from hon x? Do you want pd to overbid and you get a minus because you responded on trash? Give yourself a decent S suit and I would agree with 1S. 1S = 0, Nigel, not 10.
"Also, It increases our prospects of declaring (easier than defending);" Absolute rubbish, unless you are playing against morons!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#27 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-01, 05:48

View Postthe hog, on 2013-June-01, 04:49, said:

1S on this is very poor regardless of the form of the game. If MP and you do not win the auction and are not on lead, do you want pd to lead a S from hon x? Do you want pd to overbid and you get a minus because you responded on trash? Give yourself a decent S suit and I would agree with 1S. 1S = 0, Nigel, not 10. "Also, It increases our prospects of declaring (easier than defending);" Absolute rubbish, unless you are playing against morons!
I accept that another drawback of 1 is that it may attract the wrong lead; but that wouldn't deter me.

#28 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-01, 07:45

View Postthe hog, on 2013-June-01, 04:49, said:

"Also, It increases our prospects of declaring (easier than defending);" Absolute rubbish, unless you are playing against morons!

FWIW, I think it's right (love all at at MPs) to bid 1 against morons, but not otherwise.

#29 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-June-02, 06:55

View PostSimonFa, on 2013-May-28, 02:40, said:

MP, all white, 2/1.

K87
Q74

Edit: bidding goes 1C (P) ?

On the plus side you do have 4 Spades but on the negative side they're pretty anemic and it is a 4333 hand.

I know its a bidders game but is this pushing it too far?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

I would pass this hand unhestitatingly and wait for developments. There are too many losers. If it was unbalanced and had ruffing values,then maybe
I would chance my arm if non vul. But there are too many unknowns. Is p strong or weak? LHO hasn't yet spoken and could be hiding
a monster hand. If you know where you're going,go there quickly. If in doubt,hang back. Better to be safe than sorry! :)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#30 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-03, 10:21

1NT strongly depends, especially in England, on what your original NT range is and what the field's is.

This auction, we hope, is going to go (weak) 1NT float if we're lucky; 1NT-p-p-X if we're not (1NT-X as well, but if they can't bid over 1, they probably can't double 1NT). As I said, 12-14 opposite 5 flat is the death hand for weak NT; we're going down, if they double they're right, and they can't make game. Rarely does it happen the (weak) 1NT rebid gets doubled; but that's because they've already bid and we don't bid 1NT. But that doesn't mean that whatever we play now can't be doubled - or that nobody can make anything past 1, and if we let 1 slide, they'll be the ones going down.

In England, it's likely that partner has a strong NT. 16 opposite this 5 will probably play well, at least as well as 1 will. And it won't get doubled.

In any world, if your side has opened 1 when the field is opening 1NT, you're rolling the dice; but opposite a potential flat 11-14, I think the dice are in your favour. Again, if the field has opened 1NT with partner's very likely hand, you probably want to be there too.

I like bidding on nothing, too; but only when I don't want the opponents to bid. Here, I don't mind at all.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users