• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-03, 23:44

Sitting in 4th seat with Kxx/AJx/KJx/AQJx
Auction:
P - P - 1 - X
2 - P - 2NT - ?

Its the last hand of the night.
Opps are a regular partnership and about average for this field.
My takeout could be absurdly light and they know it.

Can I double again and what would it mean?
If pass is right what is my lead?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-04, 07:11

I would pass. As yet, they don't know you have everything and might play your partner for some of those cards. But if you bid again, the cat is out of the bag.

I guess I'll try a systemic club lead. Not looking forward to all the endplays but it beats declaring with a dead dummy, possibly doubled.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-11, 08:15

If your takeout could be "absurdly light", your partner would probably have passed with some values and/or distribution. However, RHO is promising something like 5 spades (because he opened them and rebid NT), 1-2 hearts (because he didn't raise or pass), and therefore 6-7 cards in the minors. LHO probably has 0-2 spades (because he didn't raise), 5+ hearts (to bid 2), and around 6 cards in the minors. This looks like partner's 3-4-3-3 or 3-4-4-2, neither of which looks great.

Now let's consider HCP - RHO probably has 12+ to open, since he's rebid NT. He should have a bit more, since he's bid after his partner's 2 - which is non-forcing from a passed hand, of course. LHO should have some values to bid at the 2-level in a non-forcing situation; give him an absolute minimum of 8 HCP. That leaves partner with a J at most.

If you're declaring it's going to be messy, and you'll probably be doubled. You therefore want to defend. As Bill suggests, passing here gets you to defend, and therefore has something to recommend it. What if you double?

Your double could be "Extra values, no clear suit" - like the hand you have. It could be "Pure penalties - don't pull this one, partner": but are you sure enough to risk it? My concern with doubling is twofold: one, it tells your opponents where the honours are and makes the declarer play easier. Two, partner may well pull from a failing 2NT into a failing contract your way.

If they get carried away and end up in game, anywhere, I'm quite tempted to double. Against 2NT, I'm leading the A - I want to see dummy, and this prepares a safe exit for me if necessary. I think the big thing on this hand will be to kill declarer's entries to his hand, which are likely to be in the minors, as I probably have a double stop and he therefore can't run dummy's suit.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-June-11, 14:16

Pass, and pass in tempo and hope West can find another bid... eventually they might get into real trouble. If not, it will be your lead.

--Ben--

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users