BBO Discussion Forums: Checking Controls after Jacoby - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Checking Controls after Jacoby

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-14, 07:47

2NT(N)-3D(S)-3H(N)

I am South with 6 Hearts and slam interest. Should I use 4NT or would it be quantitative raise? Should Gerber be used then?

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-14, 08:19

Most commonly used method on the forums is that 4N in this sequence is quantitative. If you want to ask for key cards in hearts, you bid 4D (texas transfer) and then 4NT.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-June-14, 08:52

I think 4 NT as quantitative is standard.

With a slam try, you should bid a control and bid 4 NT after partner answered.
If your second bid does not show a bid but a second suit (which is the better use of the sequence) you need to use Waynes way to use RCKB.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-14, 09:18

http://www.larryco.c...px?articleID=66 Very confusing: don't use Texas with slam interest, but at the same time recommending to use 4NT to check keycards after Texas...

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-14, 12:29

View Postbarsikb, on 2013-June-14, 09:18, said:

http://www.larryco.c...px?articleID=66 Very confusing: don't use Texas with slam interest, but at the same time recommending to use 4NT to check keycards after Texas...

I haven't read that article, but it seems to me you use Texas with one of two hand types: 6 card suit interested in game only, or 6 card suit that wants to check for key cards before bidding slam. This means that using Jacoby and then jumping to game is a mild slam try not suitable for RKCB.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-June-14, 12:51

That's over 1NT, 'slam interest' meaning that slam is possible if opener has a maximum.
Become yourself.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-15, 06:02

You use Texas if you know where you are going. That is not slam interest, that is slam forcing. You are in control and you don't need to know anything from partner anymore, or you only need to know the number of keycards. Then you use a Texas transfer, ask for keycards and bid the final bid depending on the response to keycard.

You use a Jacoby transfer when you don't know where you are going yet. You may suggest an alternative suit or NT or you are not sure of the level yet. (Are we strong enough for slam?) That means that after a Jacoby transfer 4NT is quantitative: If you would have been sure about the level and strain, but just needed to know keycards (a requirement for asking for keycards) you would have used a Texas transfer.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-15, 08:10

Thank you for your replies. So if need partner to participate in decision-making, use Jacoby and if going to make decisions by yourself, use Texas. Hope, I got it right now.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 16:27

At least some of that is "exactly". Having said that, remember that the most common thing one needs partner to participate in is "I only have 5, partner do we have a fit?" - Texas, because it commits to playing in the suit (unless responder chooses to convert to 6 or 7NT, but there's still no way to find out how many hearts partner has) REQUIRES 6.

One of the biggest issues in "standard" NT bidding is "how do I show a SI hand with only 5 major?" There are several answers, from "well, we just guess" to huge complicated agreements.

Please note that Ace-asking is not the only way, frequently the least useful way, to inquire about slam. Specifically, the object of Ace-asking bids is to *avoid* slams where you have 12 or 13 tricks - after they take their two Aces.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-20, 20:42

Thank you, mycroft. More useful are control cue bids?

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-21, 01:09

Bidding a slam is about answering a set of questions. The question that gets the most attantion is whether we are missing 2 aces, or for more advanced players, key cards. But that is pretty much the last question on the list. Before that comes the question of whether you are missing 2 quick losers in a suit - control-showing (Roman) cue bids are excellent at answering this question. But the first and most important question is whether we actually have enough tricks. This is where having alternative ways of showing different grades of strength helps. There are various gadgets to help but most are beyond N/B level. One example that I could give here is having 2 types of one-suited slam try, so:

1NT - 2; 2 - 4 = 6+ hearts, mild slam interest
1NT - 3 = 6+ hearts, strong slam interest
1NT - 4; 4 - 4NT = 6+ hearts, slam drive (RKCB)

You can further fine-tune the middle sequence by having Opener's rebids differentiate between good and bad hands for slam. This is just one (relatively simple I hope) method for increasing the accuracy of slam bidding before even getting to the question of cue bids or Blackwood.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-21, 23:19

Thank you, Zelandakh :) This all makes sence for sure and requires lots of preparation work with a partner. Will try step by step ...

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users