BBO Discussion Forums: Is there Minor Suit Transfer when Partner's 1NT was an Overcall? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Is there Minor Suit Transfer when Partner's 1NT was an Overcall?

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-15, 08:19

My partner made 1NT direct overcall after 1H opening. I have a weak hand, long Diamonds and don't want partner to play NT. What is my bid please?

Do many players bid System On after partners 1NT overcall these days? If using system-on, does that include Minor Suit transfers (4-way transfers)?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-15, 11:07

It depends on your agreements. If you play system on, also known as 'front of card', and the system described on the front of your card (i.e., after a 1NT opening by partner and a pass by RHO) includes minor suit transfers, then minor suit transfers are on after your partner overcalls 1NT and your RHO passes. I think 'system on' is pretty common — I play it with most of my partners — but I don't have hard data on that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-15, 20:56

System on would solve a problem here. If playing 4WT, which bid to use for transfer to Diamonds? I learned 2S for Clubs, 2NT for Diamonds which makes things complicated about hands which would be bid 2NT natural. I read somewhere about 3C as transfer to 3D. Is it a good way to bid?

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-16, 14:29

Playing 2NT as a transfer to diamonds, you go through Stayman if you want to bid 2NT naturally. It's not all that complicated.

I suppose you can play 2NT as natural and 3 as a transfer to diamonds if you want. It means giving up whatever meaning you had for 3 before the change, though.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users