BBO Discussion Forums: Playing Weak NT what to open with a 5 card major and balanced? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Playing Weak NT what to open with a 5 card major and balanced?

Poll: When to Bid Major When to Bid NT (20 member(s) have cast votes)

When to Bid Major When to Bid NT

1. Always bid 1NT (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Always bid the major (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. With a very weak major, bid NT otherwise bid the major (7 votes [35.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

4. With a very strong major, bid the Major otherwise bid NT (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. around 50:50 maybe 5 points + in the major suit bid the major otherwise bid NT? (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. depends on form of scoring/state of match etc etc (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-June-19, 02:09

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-June-18, 16:46, said:

I think this is the wrong forum to discuss the many factors behind the Pavlicek stats, but I firmly believe that Acol, despite it's many other flaws is best able to allow flexibilty (and effectiveness) in this regard. For and those with the time, you can view the most recent 100 occasions where one side opened 1/ and the other 1NT and see what is actually happening.

It may be a deep reach, since virtually none of the hands involve Acol pairs, but whatever! To be continued.

Maybe it should be, but I've found this Fascinating.

My favourite findings are

A) Weak NT rules strong NT drools, Weak NT winning when the strong no trumpers open 1NT or 1m. Why is this the case?

B) Multi 2D's surprising efficiency - a lot of boards are where the opponents don't open, but there are quite a few where they do open 2H/S and multi triumphs. This is very peculiar.

C) Opening light every day with a minor is a winner

D) Don't open 1S light.

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 03:22

I have not been to the site for a while but my guess is that A is due to the high impact of Fantunes within the weak NT stats.
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 03:41

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-June-19, 03:22, said:

I have not been to the site for a while but my guess is that A is due to the high impact of Fantunes within the weak NT stats.

No. Weak NT made most of its gains versus 1m before 2005.

Because it is so overloaded, the Fantunes 1NT does not appear to be a winner, but it aids cohesion elsewhere. My subjective impression is that 1NT might even be a loser for them. Anyway, the gain from weak NT versus 1m is small, whereas the gain of ANY no trump versus 1 is huge - 157 imps over 249 boards. I would say the sample size is still rather small though.

67. 2009 Bermuda Bowl Qualifying

None Vul
Q J 7
Q 10 9 6 4
K 6 3
A 3

A K 9 8 6 5 2
A
Q J 7 4

Fantunes bid:
1NT 2
2 2(relay)
2NT 3
4 4
5 (x) 6

In the other room:
1 1
1NT 3
4 4

Essentially the auctions were in an identical situation when South bid 3 but Fantoni bid better than his counterpart by committing to the five level and thus showing the diamond king by inference. It doesn't take many results like this to give 1 an unwarranted bad name.

#24 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 09:16

View PostCthulhu D, on 2013-June-19, 02:09, said:

C) Opening light every day with a minor is a winner

D) Don't open 1S light.

This was by far the most interesting to me....prevailing/traditional wisdom would seem to be the opposite.... open light in the majors but solid in the minors. I guess the big win is finding the 4-4 with like 11 vs 6?

#25 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 12:06

View PostTylerE, on 2013-June-19, 09:16, said:

This was by far the most interesting to me....prevailing/traditional wisdom would seem to be the opposite.... open light in the majors but solid in the minors.

Isn't that exactly why RP gets this result? People are already opening lighter with the majors, so a major-suit hand which is included in the sample (because it was opened at one table but not the other) is probably weaker than a typical minor-suit hand which is included.

#26 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-June-19, 12:26

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-June-19, 03:41, said:

No. Weak NT made most of its gains versus 1m before 2005.

Because it is so overloaded, the Fantunes 1NT does not appear to be a winner, but it aids cohesion elsewhere. My subjective impression is that 1NT might even be a loser for them. Anyway, the gain from weak NT versus 1m is small, whereas the gain of ANY no trump versus 1 is huge - 157 imps over 249 boards. I would say the sample size is still rather small though.

67. 2009 Bermuda Bowl Qualifying

None Vul
Q J 7
Q 10 9 6 4
K 6 3
A 3

A K 9 8 6 5 2
A
Q J 7 4

Fantunes bid:
1NT 2
2 2(relay)
2NT 3
4 4
5 (x) 6

In the other room:
1 1
1NT 3
4 4

Essentially the auctions were in an identical situation when South bid 3 but Fantoni bid better than his counterpart by committing to the five level and thus showing the diamond king by inference. It doesn't take many results like this to give 1 an unwarranted bad name.

Isn't this result due to South (in the other room) passing 4 rather than continuing on with 5 (asking for diamond control)? I really think that South was very timid in passing 4 after his partner made a forward going move by bidding 4. Clearly, 3 was forcing, but this is a powerful hand needing only xxx xxxxx Kx Axx from opener to make 6 extremely good (needing only 2-1 spades), and opener promised a lot more than that.

So, at least for this hand, and probably many others, you may have a cause and effect problem in the analysis.

#27 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-June-19, 18:30

View PostTylerE, on 2013-June-19, 09:16, said:

This was by far the most interesting to me....prevailing/traditional wisdom would seem to be the opposite.... open light in the majors but solid in the minors. I guess the big win is finding the 4-4 with like 11 vs 6?

Note of caution - this is 1st and 2nd seat only. But with that said opening 1D light is about 55% vs 45% against pass, whereas 1C has only a 2% edge, so I suspect it's more complex than that, but it might just be that a more aggressive 1D opening gives better positioning in competitive auctions.

#28 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-June-20, 12:19

The issue with playing ACOL with weak NT is that a 2/1 can be very light (8+) after which we may get into trouble. So I'd advise to just open 1NT and have a system to find out if opener has a 5 card M (for example 3 Puppet Stayman).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users