BBO Discussion Forums: Leading Singleton of a Partner's Suit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Leading Singleton of a Partner's Suit

#1 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-28, 06:25

I was told not to lead partner's suit known to be a 5-carder if I have a singleton. Is that correct? NT contract.

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-28, 07:14

It depends. If you have a side entry then it is often good to lead a different suit and switch to partner's when you get back in if that looks like a better bet. Similarly, if you have your own suit that you think will be easier to set up than partner's then that will often be a better point of attack. On the other hand, if you are very weak then the best chance of setting the contract is probably to set up partner's suit. Hopefully partner has enough of the remaining strength to get in enough times before declarer has secured the contract. Finally you may lead a singleton in partner's suit because you want to go passive and do not have a good alternative. You hope here that forcing declarer to make the play will allow you to score tricks on the side and create additional safe exit cards for you.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-28, 07:35

having only 1 is a downside in so much as you can't play them again and it means the opps have more of them, but ruling it out would be wrong.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-28, 07:39

As I usually mention in such threads, I don't believe in fixed rules like this. It is true that leading a singleton in partner's suit against NT may have some drawbacks, and you certainly should consider this when choosing your lead. But your final decision should be based on your best judgment about all the circumstances. There is not one rule that suits every situation.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-28, 08:38

Thank you, billw55, wank and Zelandakh! Yes, that's what I thought: unless there is a much better option, I should still lead partner's suit even if I have a singleton.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users