• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-19, 08:35

Dlr: South Vul: N/S

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-19, 09:15

P-1-P-1-P-2-P-2-P-P-P if not playing WJS or this is too good for one, 1-P-2 end otherwise

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-19, 09:23

above
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-19, 09:28

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-July-19, 09:15, said:

P-1-P-1-P-2-P-2-P-P-P if not playing WJS or this is too good for one, 1-P-2 end otherwise

2 comments:

(1) South might throw in a 2 bid over 1 (EW can probably get this for +500 on good defense, but I don't expect 2x to be the final contract).

(2) The East hand is MUCH too good for a weak jump shift IMO. I guess some might play stronger weak jump shifts than I do.

Since this is the N/B Forum, I will add that 2 should make without any real problem as long as declarer remembers to attack diamonds early. On winning either rounded suit Ace, declarer can pull 2 rounds of trump but must then knock out the A. Now, no matter what the defenders do, declarer can throw away a rounded suit loser from hand on dummy's high diamond on winning dummy's remaining rounded suit Ace. At worst, declarer loses the A, two rounded suit tricks, and two spade tricks.

#5 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-19, 22:09

Thank you for the answers! I would actually do the same P-1♦-P-1♠-P-2♦-P-2♠-P-P-P> The way I learned this hand is too good for WJS. But as you know real life is different sometimes. North came in with 2C. What would you do in East's seat now?

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-19, 23:37

View Postbarsikb, on 2013-July-19, 22:09, said:

Thank you for the answers! I would actually do the same P-1♦-P-1♠-P-2♦-P-2♠-P-P-P> The way I learned this hand is too good for WJS. But as you know real life is different sometimes. North came in with 2C. What would you do in East's seat now?

I assume that you mean that North came in with 2 over the 1 opening bid. East cannot bid 2 directly - that shows, at a minimum, a near opening bid and long spades. East's hand is not quite that good. The most common way to show a hand with a long suit and around 8-9 HCP is to make a negative double planning to bid the suit on the bidder's next opportunity. So, East should double. When partner bids 2, East can bid 2, and this should be the final contract.

South may put in his or her 2 cents by bidding 2 or 3 over the double. If South bids 2, West may double. East may decide to pass this or bid 2. In either case, South may persist by bidding 3. EW can double 3 and beat it at least one trick on a diamond lead. This will be a great score for EW, as +200 beats all partscores. I am assuming that this was played at matchpoints. +200 would be a good score at IMPs, also, but not nearly as good, as +200 instead of +110 in 2 making is only a gain of 3 IMPs. And doubling 3 at IMPs is dangerous, as it will result in -670 if it makes - a disaster.

There is a chance that NS may only make 7 tricks in clubs, in which case 3x goes -500. I would take that score at any form of scoring if I were EW.

This points out why the North hand should not have overcalled 2 vulnerable on a mediocre suit and a mediocre hand. South has a very nice heart suit and good club support, but if South bids anything over 2 NS can go for a large number.

#7 User is offline   barsikb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-20, 09:39

Thank you ArtK88! Clear enough.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users