• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reconciling two laws everywhere

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-21, 08:12

The Introduction to the Law says that when the laws say a player "may" do something, failure to do it is not wrong, and when a player "should" do something, failure to do it is an infraction of law, but will rarely be penalized.

Law 9B1{a} says "The Director should be summoned at once when attention is drawn to an irregularity." So if the Director is not summoned, it would seem we have an infraction of law. However...
Law 9B1{b} says "Any player, including dummy, may summon the Director after attention has been drawn to an irregularity." So any player who does not summon the director has not done anything wrong.

Frankly, if an irregularity occurs, and nobody calls the director at the time, but later it becomes a big problem, I might like to penalize somebody, or everybody, for not calling in the first place. But if nobody has done anything wrong, I can't do that. So how should these two laws in conjunction be interpreted? :unsure:

Note that Law 9B1{a} was changed from "must" in the 1997 laws to "should" in the 2007/2008 laws. That, I'm sorry to say, was my fault. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-21, 08:31

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-21, 08:12, said:

The Introduction to the Law says that when the laws say a player "may" do something, failure to do it is not wrong, and when a player "should" do something, failure to do it is an infraction of law, but will rarely be penalized.

Law 9B1{a} says "The Director should be summoned at once when attention is drawn to an irregularity." So if the Director is not summoned, it would seem we have an infraction of law. However...
Law 9B1{b} says "Any player, including dummy, may summon the Director after attention has been drawn to an irregularity." So any player who does not summon the director has not done anything wrong.

Frankly, if an irregularity occurs, and nobody calls the director at the time, but later it becomes a big problem, I might like to penalize somebody, or everybody, for not calling in the first place. But if nobody has done anything wrong, I can't do that. So how should these two laws in conjunction be interpreted? :unsure:

Note that Law 9B1{a} was changed from "must" in the 1997 laws to "should" in the 2007/2008 laws. That, I'm sorry to say, was my fault. :(

I think that (b) is just a modification of (a), giving permission for any player to call the director; that is why dummy is mentioned. So the meaning may well be that if one person calls the director, the other three players have not done anything wrong.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-21, 09:36

Yeh, together the two sections state (a) that the Director should be summoned, and (b) who may do so after attention is drawn to the irregularity.

I don't see any need to reconcile them; they complement each other. IOW, someone should; and after the irregularity has come to light, anyone is allowed to.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-21, 09:41

Fine nuances of modality in Bridge-rules just add to players' confusion.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-21, 11:15

So if someone should, but no one does, and taking into account that when a player doesn't do what he "should" a PP should be rare, but still possible, who should get a PP here if one is given? One to both sides? Two to both sides? Try to figure out who is most responsible? Using what criteria?

The easiest "solution" of course is to do what many club level TDs, at least, always do: decline to give a PP at all. I'm not sure that helps much, and I'm certain it's not a good policy in general.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-21, 11:37

A warning all round is a good start.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-21, 11:52

View Postgordontd, on 2013-July-21, 11:37, said:

A warning all round is a good start.

Well, sure, the first time. Then what?

One of the things TD/club owners around here do that I just do not understand is that they keep giving the same people the same warnings over and over again. :blink: :(
--------------------

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-21, 12:52

There must be better things to ponder than how to exact revenge just in case we aren't needed to adjust. If we are needed to adjust, let's do it then explain that we would have appreciated being called when the irregularity was noticed.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-July-21, 17:23

My other thread about translating the Laws into readable English had much to do with the use of the passive voice and embedded clauses. The director "should" be summoned, but by whom? It seems as if there is no one who can be held responsible.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-21, 18:48

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-July-21, 12:52, said:

There must be better things to ponder than how to exact revenge just in case we aren't needed to adjust. If we are needed to adjust, let's do it then explain that we would have appreciated being called when the irregularity was noticed.

It's not about revenge. I think you know that. It's about what these laws mean. If directors can't understand the laws, can we expect players to understand them?
--------------------

#11 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 01:43

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-21, 08:12, said:

In some circumstances, players are not allowed to call the director, which varies according to who they are and who did what. So 9B(1) is important in giving permission to all players to call the director once attention has been drawn to an irregularity. With that permission, the players then collectively have a (mild) duty to call the director. Thus if the delay in calling the director makes a mess, the director can say "well you should have done". For those who might have been disadvantaged by that delay, there's a law that says it's your own fault. For those who might be on the other side of that, well I think the director can usually make life for them uncomfortable too if he feels that is unfair.

In sum, this seems to be right to me.

#12 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 05:47

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-July-22, 01:43, said:

In some circumstances, players are not allowed to call the director, which varies according to who they are and who did what. So 9B(1) is important in giving permission to all players to call the director once attention has been drawn to an irregularity. With that permission, the players then collectively have a (mild) duty to call the director. Thus if the delay in calling the director makes a mess, the director can say "well you should have done". For those who might have been disadvantaged by that delay, there's a law that says it's your own fault. For those who might be on the other side of that, well I think the director can usually make life for them uncomfortable too if he feels that is unfair.

In sum, this seems to be right to me.

I think really the problem is people who eschew the role of director. Someone realise there is an irregularity and then someone "applies" the law (such a secretary bird). If all players realise there is an irregularity but fail to use their right as appropriate to call director as soon as possible then they can't call the director later (stiff bickies). Of course the cases where the irregularity cannot be realised until later are reasonable exceptions like a revoke. There should be a severe penalty for trying act like director.

#13 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 06:23

View Postcloa513, on 2013-July-22, 05:47, said:

I think really the problem is people who eschew the role of director. Someone realise there is an irregularity and then someone "applies" the law (such a secretary bird). If all players realise there is an irregularity but fail to use their right as appropriate to call director as soon as possible then they can't call the director later (stiff bickies). Of course the cases where the irregularity cannot be realised until later are reasonable exceptions like a revoke. There should be a severe penalty for trying act like director.

Certain common and easy issues are routinely dealt with by the players without the need for the director's attendance, most commonly mechanical errors and declarer's lead from the wrong hand. Thus I don't think the generality of what you say is appropriate. The important thing is to realise that those cases are the exception, and players must not extend their franchise. If a player has, by acting with apparent authority, persuaded another player of something to the latter's disadvantage, the director should, and has the power to, protect the latter.

#14 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 06:36

Well mechanical errors in the auction genuinely are an exception. A mechanical error is not an irregularity and there is no requirement to call the TD when one is corrected.

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 06:48

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-July-22, 06:23, said:

Certain common and easy issues are routinely dealt with by the players without the need for the director's attendance, most commonly mechanical errors and declarer's lead from the wrong hand.

Do you think most players know the provisions of L55A?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 07:49

View Postcampboy, on 2013-July-22, 06:36, said:

Well mechanical errors in the auction genuinely are an exception. A mechanical error is not an irregularity and there is no requirement to call the TD when one is corrected.

From the definitions section:
"Irregularity - a deviation from correct procedure inclusive of, but not limited to, those which involve an infraction by a player"

I think an unintended call is therefore an irregularity, but not an infraction. L25 specifies its rectification.

#17 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 07:52

View Postgordontd, on 2013-July-22, 06:48, said:

Do you think most players know the provisions of L55A?

Not necessarily in its entirety. But they know that a defender can tell declarer to lead from the correct hand, and if they do that, then he can pick up the wrongly led card and that is the end of the matter. Some may also know they can accept the lead.

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 08:48

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-July-22, 07:52, said:

Not necessarily in its entirety. But they know that a defender can tell declarer to lead from the correct hand, and if they do that, then he can pick up the wrongly led card and that is the end of the matter. Some may also know they can accept the lead.

That many may not know this is a reason why the TD should be called.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 08:57

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-July-22, 07:49, said:

From the definitions section:
"Irregularity - a deviation from correct procedure inclusive of, but not limited to, those which involve an infraction by a player"

I think an unintended call is therefore an irregularity, but not an infraction. L25 specifies its rectification.

I don't see why making an unintended call is a deviation from correct procedure. Is there a law which says so?

#20 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 09:17

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-July-22, 07:52, said:

Not necessarily in its entirety. But they know that a defender can tell declarer to lead from the correct hand [.....]

Do they? In my experience they generally think that declarer leads from the correct hand instead, but not that this has anything to do with the defenders (or the TD!) at all.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users