BBO Discussion Forums: advancing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

advancing

#1 User is offline   shnk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-22, 22:52

1) (1) - 1 - (P) - ?
The overcall shows 9-17 always with a 5+ card suit.
What is 1S here in terms of spade length and strength? Is it forcing? Does it deny heart support?
If 2D is a heart raise here, what kind of strength does it show?
How about 2C?

2) (1) - 2 - (P) - ?
What is 2H here in terms of heart length and strength?
What is 2S here?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-22, 23:30

1. 1 and 2 are natural. You can play them as forcing; then the 2 cuebid can promise heart support. If you play 1 and 2 as non-forcing but constructive, then the cuebid will occasionally have to be used for GF hands without heart support. But you will still usually have support and your range is 10+ points.

Neither new-suit bid promises or denies heart support. Many people play jumps in new suits as showing that suit and also promising support.

2. 2 should be 5 hearts and 10+ points; it is a one-round force. 2 can be a little weaker than your normal raise to 2.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-July-23, 01:43

1. I would play 1 as forcing 4+ spaders , it will overload the cue, if I have to bid all forcing bids with 2 . I would play 2 as forcing too, but I have no strong feelings about this bid.

2. 2 5+ forcing
2 depends on your overall system. As the most likely game after this start is 3 NT, I would use it as asking for strength and stopper. But taste differs.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-July-23, 09:26

View PostCodo, on 2013-July-23, 01:43, said:

2 depends on your overall system. As the most likely game after this start is 3 NT, I would use it as asking for strength and stopper. But taste differs.

Oh right, LOL I misread the OP and thought that partner had opened 1. The general meaning of cuebids like this is showing a good hand and asking partner for further description.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   shnk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-23, 22:34

View Postshnk, on 2013-July-22, 22:52, said:

1) (1) - 1 - (P) - ?

2) (1) - 2 - (P) - ?

A) (Auction 1) AQxx/xx/xxxx/Jxx, do I have enough stuff to bid a forcing 1S?
If not how much more stuff do I need?

B) (Auction 2) xxx/AKxx/KQxx/xx, my bid?

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-July-24, 03:53

A I would bid. Even if you have a system where partner is quite limited, so that game is unlikely, you may improve the contract or shut down opps.

B depends: If 2 is game forcing, I would just bid 3 . But my partner know that they should not bid without a reason, so they won't show up with a mediocre 5 card suit.
If 2 is just invitational, I would use it and pass 2 NT, 3 , but bid on after higher bids.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-July-24, 05:39

Hi,

#1 Playing 1S as forcing is quite common, so is nonforcing, but constructive
The main difference is, that a forcing 1S bid, can be based on a 4 carder.
To a certain degree, it does not really matter, most nonforcing 1S bids, will
also be make the forcing 1S bid.

#2 Again 2H could be forcing / nonforcing, but my guess is, that nonforcing is more
common, even if you played 1S in #1 as forcing.
A 2H bid will always promise 5+ cards.

if 2H is nonforcing, the cue will be inv.+ including gamegoing hands with an own
suit, if 2H is forcing, the gamegoing hands with an own suit will show the suit direct.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-24, 06:06

1) I think 2 has to be nonforcing, say 9-14 points. If it's forcing then you will get often get too high with 9 opposite 9 points. This means that a stronger hand with clubs has to bid either 2 or 3 (always the latter if you want the cuebid to promise support). 1 I prefer to be nonforcing also but I don't feel strongly about it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-29, 08:02

After an overcall, the default for a new suit in most places is natural and forcing. There are many who play this differently though so it is something to discuss with a regular partner. The minimum strength for a forcing new suit is to have serious game interest opposite a maximum. For a typical overcall range this is somewhere around a good 8 or better.

If you do play new suits as natural and forcing then bidding the opponents' suit (cue bid) instead is a good raise of partner's suit. The strength should be ~10+ support points. If your new suits are non-forcing then it is not uncommon to play this cue bid as a general force that includes some hands without support.

On your two sample hands I would pass 1 in auction 1A and bid 2 in auction 2B given the above style. That said, 9-17 is quite high (6-16 seems more normal to me) so A could easily be worth a 1 advance opposite your partner.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users