Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GNT Defense

#1 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-01, 00:18

Berkowitz declares 3N after north shows 5-4 majors and south denies a fit.

New partnership, your agreed methods: UDCA, reverse smith, standard honor leads vs NT

Trick 1: Q 3 2 A
Trick 2: Q 9 3 ?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-August-01, 08:00

I am going to play him for something resembling KQ Qxx AKJx Axxx and duck spades twice.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-01, 15:31

..but ducking would be less successful if declarer's hand is something like Kx Jxx AKQJxx Ax.

What do you mean by "reverse smith"? Originally Smith Peters involved the opening leader petering to request a switch whilst a peter by the opening leader's partner requested a continuation ("do something unusual please partner"). More commonly these days (at least where I play) the peter from both sides shows extra interest in the originally led suit. So I'm not sure what you consider to be "standard" and "reverse smith".

#4 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-01, 16:09

View Postjallerton, on 2013-August-01, 15:31, said:

..but ducking would be less successful if declarer's hand is something like Kx Jxx AKQJxx Ax.

What do you mean by "reverse smith"? Originally Smith Peters involved the opening leader petering to request a switch whilst a peter by the opening leader's partner requested a continuation ("do something unusual please partner"). More commonly these days (at least where I play) the peter from both sides shows extra interest in the originally led suit. So I'm not sure what you consider to be "standard" and "reverse smith".

low = nothing unusual (don't switch), high = interest in a switch by opening leader

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-01, 17:03

View Postmikeh, on 2013-August-01, 08:00, said:

I am going to play him for something resembling KQ Qxx AKJx Axxx and duck spades twice.

This seems normal, it is weird declarer led the Q and not the K of spades, that combined with clee posting this hand makes me think maybe declarer has stiff Q of spades but even then we will beat it as long as we're careful (if declarer stops playing spades we can win the CK and return the 8 of spades). I mean partner gave negative smith so it's not like we can take 3 clubs and 2 spades and this is declarers 9th trick. Partner can never be giving count here with K9x.

eta: Also, partner would not duck with K9 doubleton of spades, declarer might have AQ doubleton, and if we have A8xx it blows up the suit unless we can knock out the HA (he doesn't know we have the HK). The only possible gain is if we have Axxx and declarer doesn't have 9 and we don't have 5. If partner had 4 clubs he would know we had 5 tricks by winning. If partner has only 3 clubs, he would still not know that we don't have 4. If his diamonds are so good that he knew it was safe, then we are going to beat them anyways when we duck this spade, they have no tricks.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-August-01, 17:03

View Postjallerton, on 2013-August-01, 15:31, said:

We have a strong clue to the effect that he doesn't hold Kx spades.....hint...look at the lead to trick 2 :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-01, 21:29

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-August-01, 17:03, said:

This seems normal, it is weird declarer led the Q and not the K of spades, that combined with clee posting this hand makes me think maybe declarer has stiff Q of spades but even then we will beat it as long as we're careful

But that doesn't explain why partner is signaling interest in a shift. He can only have 3-4 HCP besides the QJ unless South is playing games, and if they were the K, would he try to deflect us from continuing clubs?

That makes me think partner has something like KJTxx, and we ought to lead diamonds every time we're in.

I'm sure I've overlooked a couple of things, so I look forward to the full analysis.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-August-01, 21:40

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-August-01, 21:29, said:

But that doesn't explain why partner is signaling interest in a shift. He can only have 3-4 HCP besides the QJ unless South is playing games, and if they were the K, would he try to deflect us from continuing clubs?

That makes me think partner has something like KJTxx, and we ought to lead diamonds every time we're in.

I'm sure I've overlooked a couple of things, so I look forward to the full analysis.

Yeah I don't play smith, I thought it was more about how much you like your own lead rather than how much you like other suits, so with 3 clubs partner would say he didn't like it. Whatever, ducking 2 spades seems clear no matter how you look at it.

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-02, 05:32

Ducking the Q looks like the percentage action

But if declarer has something like

KQ,Jx,AKQJT,A985 or Q,Qx,AKQJxx,A985

ducking would not be a success.

Rainer Herrmann

#10 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-August-02, 10:25

Looks like a hand from a bridge book on defense.
Win the A and return the K while the
spade suit is still blocked.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2013-August-02, 10:47

View Postjogs, on 2013-August-02, 10:25, said:

Looks like a hand from a bridge book on defense.
Win the A and return the K while the
spade suit is still blocked.

Looks more like a hand from 'unlucky expert'. Consider KQ Qxx AKJx Axxx. I doubt that a WC declarer would win the first heart play on your defence.

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-August-02, 10:51

View Postrhm, on 2013-August-02, 05:32, said:

KQ,Jx,AKQJT,A985

I'm sure he'd open 2N with that, maybe xx hearts (might still open 2N but might not). That is a pretty specific hand.

#13 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2013-August-02, 13:21

View Postmikeh, on 2013-August-02, 10:47, said:

Looks more like a hand from 'unlucky expert'. Consider KQ Qxx AKJx Axxx. I doubt that a WC declarer would win the first heart play on your defence.

What if declarer held KQ, Qxx, AKJxx, Axx.
Now we can win 3 club tricks.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2013-August-02, 13:26

View Postjogs, on 2013-August-02, 13:21, said:

What if declarer held KQ, Qxx, AKJxx, Axx.
Now we can win 3 club tricks.

he doesn't: partner would never discourage in clubs with 3 cashing tricks in the suit.

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-02, 19:59

actually that hand even if possible is irrelevant, he is never making the contract.

#16 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-August-04, 12:04

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-August-01, 21:40, said:

Yeah I don't play smith, I thought it was more about how much you like your own lead rather than how much you like other suits, so with 3 clubs partner would say he didn't like it. Whatever, ducking 2 spades seems clear no matter how you look at it.

Agree 100%

Hes assuming we know the pts count so with D T9xx C QJ9 he will make a neg smith for sure.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#17 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-14, 15:39

Playing Smith, doesn't count take precedence when you are looking at this dummy ? Looks like which to win or how many to duck could be critical when there's only one sure entry outside the suit.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users