BBO Discussion Forums: Strong 4450 w/ significant pre-emption - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong 4450 w/ significant pre-emption

Poll: Strong 4450 w/ significant pre-emption (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (10 votes [58.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. 6C (1 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. 6H (6 votes [35.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

4. Other (please comment) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-05, 09:38

Pickup partnership. Swiss.

Your bid?

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-05, 09:52

This auction should pretty much be this hand. I'm not donking 6 off 2 quick tricks.

Also, if partner doesn't have K it's more likely in the west hand, so even if partner has a red ace there's a decent chance it's not enough.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-05, 09:52

I will pass. Not for technical reasons, but partnership principles. Usually in a pickup partnership, missing a slam under heavy competition is less damaging to morale than guessing at slam and going down.

Strictly on the hand, it seems like a guess, although the threat of a bad trump break gives me doubts about bidding on (partner seems to have only four hearts).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-August-05, 10:34

I tried for slam. Partner said no. He may be right, and he may not be right, but I don't have a good reason to overrule him.

Quite frankly, we may already be too high if things are foul. And even if partner has enough for slam to be reasonable, it may still not make.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-05, 11:17

I don't think I could bid much stronger than this. Partner wants to settle for 5, then 5 it is... But I don't really understand his Double if he can't bid slam now.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-05, 11:40

6. 3-loser hand, great trumps, void in opp's suit, partner made a responsive double at the 4-level.. Grand would require AAK in a passed hand which seems like too much to hope for so I'm not trying 6.

I'm not sure "we invited slam and partner said no". 5 is pretty high and we still haven't found a strain. This is murky but I think partner's primary responsibility is to show something about his shape at the lowest level, not jump to slam with Axxx of trumps and K.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-05, 12:14

hmm I see wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many passers. This gives me heartache
for the following reasons.

1. Why is p x of 4c being so easily dismissed?? What kind of power does p
need in order to show values here. My guess would be and A and K at
worst.

2. Does our 5c bid really promise a void or more likely 2 4 card majors opposite
a partner that made a nebulous bid most likely with no clear direction and
a little extra value?

3. P choice of 5h is based primarily on what they imagine a minimum hand from
you might have. Our hand is far better than our minimum and that club void could
be golden. I see no harm in bidding 6c here and allowing p with AAK to take us
to 7 if they don't have wasted club honors.

6c There is plenty of room for p to have AAK (none in clubs) and I see no strong
reason to give upon the bidding just because its unlikely.

#8 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-05, 12:28

View Postgszes, on 2013-August-05, 12:14, said:

hmm I see wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many passers. This gives me heartache
for the following reasons.

1. Why is p x of 4c being so easily dismissed?? What kind of power does p
need in order to show values here. My guess would be and A and K at
worst.

2. Does our 5c bid really promise a void or more likely 2 4 card majors opposite
a partner that made a nebulous bid most likely with no clear direction and
a little extra value?

3. P choice of 5h is based primarily on what they imagine a minimum hand from
you might have. Our hand is far better than our minimum and that club void could
be golden. I see no harm in bidding 6c here and allowing p with AAK to take us
to 7 if they don't have wasted club honors.

6c There is plenty of room for p to have AAK (none in clubs) and I see no strong
reason to give upon the bidding just because its unlikely.

1. Partner may easily have something like Jxxx Axxxx x Kxx. Oposite that slam has little play.

2. 5 showed a slam try opposite some random 7-11 count. If we believe we can make a slam opposite as little as 2 aces, we need to have a pretty strong hand to justify the bid.

3. If the passed hand partner declined my slam try with working AAK , I think I will start looking for a new partner.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-05, 12:38

I think it is ridiculous to think that pd did not bid slam with 2 key cards in our suits after 5 which is a very strong bid imo. He obviously have club values the way opponents are bidding at these colors, or we would not have the chance to cue at 5 level.

Anyway, if we were going to bid slam anyway, why did not we bid 5NT or 6 previous round ? If 5 was intended to stop at 5 level then what part of 5 made our hand any better now than what it was before ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-05, 14:11

View PostMrAce, on 2013-August-05, 12:38, said:

I think it is ridiculous to think that pd did not bid slam with 2 key cards in our suits after 5 which is a very strong bid imo. He obviously have club values the way opponents are bidding at these colors, or we would not have the chance to cue at 5 level.

He has club length, not necessarily club values.

Anyway, if we were going to bid slam anyway, why did not we bid 5NT or 6 previous round ? If 5 was intended to stop at 5 level then what part of 5 made our hand any better now than what it was before ?

I guess I understand 5NT as "pick your best major". Or is it "bid 4-card suits up the line"? What is 6 and how is partner expected to respond?
How would you bid with a 4351 or 4252 slam force?

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-August-05, 14:36

6H.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 05:38

The 4-4 fit in hearts has improved our hand a little, actually any 4 card suit partner bids would provide an extra trick. In my experience partner would not bid slam himself with some 4423 even with both red aces since he will feel his hand is minimum.

Partner's double of 4 should be about a decent 8 count at minimum, unless he has a club honor slam will have good chances as he will have 2 bullets.

If the bullets are missing we have 2 chances left, spade finesse and opponents saving. But there is a downside, if trumps are 4-1 slam is doom from the start.

If I could know trumps are 3-2 I'd bid slam, but the 4-1 break hazard is too much.

#13 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 08:15

To make the grand I require 2 red aces plus the K of S, a hand the player MAY have opened if 4/4 majors as the auction suggests. It is possible 6 might fail, but I'll take the chance, this hand offers too many opportunities to give up on slam. I can not imagine a passed hand vul partner making a responsive double without a working A and K or 2 aces. If they can score a D ruff too bad. The passed hand is under no pressure to act with some pail vulnerable when west bids 4C making a responsive double, makes us a favorite to produce 12 tricks.

#14 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 11:47

After thinking about it some more I think it's better to pass. The A is a pretty likely card for partner to hold and that's obviously bad for us. We'll be off at least one ace, maybe the king of spades, maybe missing the jack of diamonds, and maybe having to deal with a bad trump break.

I'm still interested in hearing opinions about whether 5 is strictly invitational, and started a new thread here: http://www.bridgebas...7-slam-bidding/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users