BBO Discussion Forums: Returning after a long hiatus - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Returning after a long hiatus Recommendations? What should I expect?

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-31, 03:41

I'm returning to Bridge after a long break (about a year for live, a bit less for BBO). I've been trying to keep up by playing a few hands here and there with basic GIBs on the iPad and occasionally doing video Bridge sessions, but I doubt it did much to preserve what little skill I had. I've also been reading threads on BBF but it's been a long time since I've last discussed anything with my regular partner.
Now that I can get back to it, what are your recommendations?
Should we start at the highest level of competition we were comfortable with before, or start at the soft night in the club?
Should we drop complex agreements or is it more confusing to try and remember what's dropped and what's still on?
I have other questions, all in the same vein. Should we pretend there's never been a break (and let the results say otherwise), or should we ease ourselves back in?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-July-31, 06:54

View PostAntrax, on 2013-July-31, 03:41, said:

I'm returning to Bridge after a long break (about a year for live, a bit less for BBO). I've been trying to keep up by playing a few hands here and there with basic GIBs on the iPad and occasionally doing video Bridge sessions, but I doubt it did much to preserve what little skill I had. I've also been reading threads on BBF but it's been a long time since I've last discussed anything with my regular partner.
Now that I can get back to it, what are your recommendations? Should we start at the highest level of competition we were comfortable with before, or start at the soft night in the club? Should we drop complex agreements or is it more confusing to try and remember what's dropped and what's still on?
I have other questions, all in the same vein. Should we pretend there's never been a break (and let the results say otherwise), or should we ease ourselves back in?
My father, who became a good swimmer, learnt when he was thrown off the pier at Kirkcaldy Harbour. You can have practice bidding sessions on BBO, but then you should enter the highest convenient level of competition, playing your complete system.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-31, 07:00

A lot depends on how good your memory works. If it were me, after 1 year I wouldn't have much problems to continue playing like nothing happened. Just need to refresh my memory a bit and I'd be ready to go.

For example, I haven't played MOSCITO for probably 6 years and I still know the system extremely well. I would just have to take a look at the relay schemes over 1 and the intervention handling, and I'd be ready to go.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-July-31, 07:04

I've not been playing long but I recommend you play in the highest level of competition, that's sort of how I started.
Become yourself.

#5 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 08:09

I agree - I have a bit of difficulty switching between levels of competition because when I play in low-level events (bunny night at the club) I can overcall 1NT on a 12-count, find a 6-count opposite, and swindle 8 tricks for a top. I then get into the habit of such atrocious bids and ship IMPs/MPs as appropriate as soon as I encounter sane oppo.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 09:52

View PostAntrax, on 2013-July-31, 03:41, said:

Should we

I take it that you are coming back with a partnership either former or new?

Play against the best you can and devote some effort into a thorough post-mortem. Playing (and possibly forgetting) more complex methods or starting basic and adding is not the point so much as getting onto the same page but remember that the first thing you should do when playing a 3-3 trump fit is give the opps a ruff :)

Playing in bunny games or as we call it up here, clubbing the baby seals won't hurt your game if have the discipline to play against them as if they are sane but getting the partnership vibe down comes first.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 22:10

Yeah, I'm resuming play with my regular partner. He played in other partnerships during this year, which is why I'm worried about system confusion. On the other hand, it seems insulting (and damaging to partnership harmony) if I just come out and expect him to forget agreements.

#8 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 22:28

Just discuss your concerns with him, play, and have fun.

(Unless you are playing rubber bridge to live on - is that even possible?)

#9 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 23:44

Might be possible but not for me at this stage :P

#10 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-07, 18:42

:P I once took a 17 year hiatus from bridge. Going back was painful for a while. To me the model is that of athletic conditioning. You just need practice bidding and counting hands until your mind is back in the groove. You relearn much easier than when learning the first time. A one year layoff shouldn't be much of a problem to overcome.

As far as the game itself changing in one year, not so much.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users