BBO Discussion Forums: System For This Situation? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

System For This Situation? 1NT - 3 level overcall

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-August-10, 07:09

obviously when your NT overcall is overcalled at the 2 level there are many systems to deal with it, but how about at the 3 level?

specifically how should we have bid this:

3 clubs was natural (2 clubs would have been landy)

thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-10, 07:27

View Posteagles123, on 2013-August-10, 07:09, said:

obviously when your NT overcall is overcalled at the 2 level there are many systems to deal with it, but how about at the 3 level?

specifically how should we have bid this:

3 clubs was natural (2 clubs would have been landy)

thanks,

Eagles

For us, any bid by East, except a double, in this situation is game forcing. So probably bid 3H and hope for the best...looks like it will work out this time

#3 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-10, 07:52

Standard is that double is t/o, other bids are natural and forcing, 4 would probably be some flexible hand with which you don't want to double because you don't want partner to pass.

It is probably a good idea to play transfers in some situations like for example against a 3 overcal.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-10, 08:23

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-August-10, 07:52, said:

Standard is that double is t/o, other bids are natural and forcing, 4 would probably be some flexible hand with which you don't want to double because you don't want partner to pass.

It is probably a good idea to play transfers in some situations like for example against a 3 overcal.

So how do you double for penalty ever ? Are opponents allowed to overcall at the three level without consequence ? Or if you pass then the 1NT opener is expected to double on your behalf ?

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 07:08

View PostShugart23, on 2013-August-10, 08:23, said:

So how do you double for penalty ever ?

And if you play double as penalties, how do you find your 4-4 major suit fits? We are much more likely to want to take out 3 than make a penalty double and the cost of going down in 3NT with 4M making (or vice versa) is enough that takeout is preferred even if we do miss out on the odd telephone number. FWiiW, I think transfers on most interference up to 3 is a good method.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 07:41

View PostShugart23, on 2013-August-10, 08:23, said:

So how do you double for penalty ever ? Are opponents allowed to overcall at the three level without consequence ? Or if you pass then the 1NT opener is expected to double on your behalf ?

Opener can indeed double with a small doubleton in clubs, or he can pass responder's double with a 4-card clubs and occasionally with 3 clubs, for example AKx-Axx-xxx-Axxx.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-August-13, 04:47

I play Dbl as takeout, a suit is natural F1, and we also play something similar to Leaping Michaels. So I'd bid 4 showing 5+ and 5+M.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 05:33

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-August-10, 07:52, said:

I agree except that I would have said that standard, especially in this forum, is that 4 shows both majors, almost always 5-5.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users