• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-August-12, 13:27

How to find slam here?

East opener, opps silent

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 13:43

I don't want to play any slam here.. I expect I would play 4NT. Something like 1H-1S-3H-4D-4NT-AP.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 13:45

surely at least heart slam has pretty good play?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 14:57

eagles123, on 2013-August-12, 13:45, said:

surely at least heart slam has pretty good play?

Well you need hearts 3-3 or Kx onside or exactly 109 doubleton either side, not great odds to start with and you need something else.

1-1-2(we almost never pass this and it's sufficient opposite what we do pass it on)-2-3-3N

#5 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-12, 16:29

This is a horrible slam, the kind Roland Wald likes (it's a running commentator joke). 4 oddly is the contract you want to play, but most people will play in 3NT or 4NT.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 16:56

1h=1s
2c=2d(4sf/gf)
2h=3nt(minimum gf)
p or 4h seems normal enough.

#7 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 02:18

ok thanks folks, didn't think it was that bad a slam but obviously I was mistaken!!

a side question: our sequence was (opps silent)

1H - 1S - 2C - 3N - 4H

would 4NT now be keycard in hearts or sign off in no trumps?

Thanks,

Eagles

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-August-13, 02:36

With a pick up partner or in the N/B forum, 4NT over a suit bid is always Blackwood ;). Thinking about it though, is there a hand for Responder that would bid this way without either heart tolerance or a club fit? 4 spades (since no 2 rebid); 0-1 hearts (no heart fit); 0-3 diamonds (would respond 1); 0-3 clubs (no club fit). 4133 seems to be 2 cards short. Even if we deviated by, for example, treating a weak 5 card spade suit as 4 it is still not possible. In other words, can you come up with a hand that wants to make a natural 4NT bid here?
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-13, 04:37

Zelandakh, on 2013-August-13, 02:36, said:

With a pick up partner or in the N/B forum, 4NT over a suit bid is always Blackwood ;). Thinking about it though, is there a hand for Responder that would bid this way without either heart tolerance or a club fit? 4 spades (since no 2 rebid); 0-1 hearts (no heart fit); 0-3 diamonds (would respond 1); 0-3 clubs (no club fit). 4133 seems to be 2 cards short. Even if we deviated by, for example, treating a weak 5 card spade suit as 4 it is still not possible. In other words, can you come up with a hand that wants to make a natural 4NT bid here?

Kxxxx, void, AKQ10x, Kxx or similar, but very unlikely.

Of course you can't want to bid 4 natural on this auction (particularly if you play SJS), neither can you be void, so if you play kickback, 4 asks aces and 4N is natural but that's not N/B.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users