BBO Discussion Forums: How do you defend this 3N? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you defend this 3N?

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-June-21, 09:31

You lead the club 6, 4th best. Partner plays the 7 under dummy’s 9, showing an odd number. Declarer takes a while to play to trick 2, but eventually plays spade to the Ace, back to the Queen and then to his King, catching the 3-3 break. On the 4th spade you pitch a middle heart...do you? If not, what would you pitch? Dummy discards a low heart as does your partner. You play udca. Declarer thinks some more and exits a club. Your plan? 1N was 14-16, btw.

I’m not sure this belongs in the expert forum when posted as a problem. At the table, however, I think it is an expert level problem, if only because I think that it’s hard for non-experts to maintain the level of focus, at the table, needed to get these right. Nobody is ringing a bell to tell one that ‘this hand is a problem you can/should solve’. The expert treats, or does treat if playing well, every hand as if it were a BBF problem.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-June-21, 11:05

AKxx, AQx, xxx, Qxx is my estimate. Solution:
Spoiler

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-June-21, 12:15

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-June-21, 11:05, said:

AKxx, AQx, xxx, Qxx is my estimate. Solution:
Spoiler

Declarer has 9 tricks opposite that, AKxx, AJx, Jxx, Qxx is the holding

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-June-21, 12:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-June-21, 12:15, said:

Declarer has 9 tricks opposite that, AKxx, AJx, Jxx, Qxx is the holding

4 spades, 2 diamonds, 1 heart, and 1 club...what am I missing?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-June-21, 12:50

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-June-21, 12:43, said:

4 spades, 2 diamonds, 1 heart, and 1 club...what am I missing?

the heart finesse you may have been done by the stupid layout of the hand viewer and N as declarer

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-June-21, 12:55

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-June-21, 12:50, said:

the heart finesse you may have been done by the stupid layout of the hand viewer and N as declarer

Thanks. Exactly so. I had the hands in the wrong positions.

#7 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2021-June-21, 12:57

For me, the answer to the question posed is easy: incorrectly. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-June-21, 22:35

Yes, the defence needs to switch to a red suit after winning the club exit. It doesn’t need to be a heart.

Declarer is known to be either 4=3=3=3 or 4=2=4=3, by the auction.

If he has Qxxx in diamonds, he’d have played that suit already

If he has Qxx in diamonds, he’d have played that suit already....if he has the heart Ace he simply has 9 winners and if he’s off the heart Ace, he’d try diamonds rather than, in essence, giving up.

He is known to hold 9 hcp in the blacks, and at most 1 in diamonds. He has to have the heart Ace. So the danger is, as has been noted, that he has AJx in hearts and partner is going to get squeezed. The heart switch is the simplest, but note what happens on a diamond switch. Declarer can’t duck it, so he has to win and now he can’t get off dummy without breaking up the squeeze.

At the table, I was dummy. We were in the GNT District event. While kibs were barred, my wife came into the room and asked how we were doing. Since I was dummy, I could see what was going on, and invited her to watch. I told her that declarer would play on spades, hoping for 3-3 or east holding Jx/10x (if J10x, he was going down).

Once spades broke I said he’s going to cash the last spade and exit a club.

As it happened, and this happens quite often, west spoiled the situation by pitching a club on the fourth spade, keeping KQx Qxxx in the reds. This made it trivial since east couldn’t switch to a red card without abandoning his clubs. Had they defended correctly, declarer has to hope for Qx in diamonds.

I got a kick out of it, ruined only a little by the misdefence, because one doesn’t see suicide squeezes very often.

I wasn’t sure how to post this...as a play problem, a defence problem or as a ‘would you rather play or defend’ problem...though I thought that would be the least interesting.

Sorry for posting north as declarer. That was the real life situation, but I should have rotated the hands for convenience
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users