• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding a grand

#21 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-29, 16:12

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-August-29, 16:00, said:

That's not a lot of missed 3NT. It's a few where it has play, plus you will get to a load more that have zero chance.

xx Qx Txx KQJxxx is not a preempt opposite a 1 opener. It's good mixed raise. Why would you get to loads of 3nt with zero chance ? Partner should be mindful that a mixed raise can be on length or a distributional hand with minors, so he won't be trying for 3nt on hands with lots of high cards unless they included Aces as in my examples.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#22 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-29, 16:17

View Postsathyab, on 2013-August-29, 16:12, said:

xx Qx Txx KQJxxx is not a preempt opposite a 1 opener. It's good mixed raise. Why would you get to loads of 3nt with zero chance ? Partner should be mindful that a mixed raise can be on length or a distributional hand with minors, so he won't be trying for 3nt on hands with lots of high cards unless they included Aces as in my examples.

I think you are confused. Where did I say this hand was a preempt? For me it is a down the middle 3 bid. Preemptive raises to 3m in comp are for children.

I would estimate that the chances of 3nt making opposite a weak NT are less that 1 in 10, so inviting just does not stack up. Cue should invite 3NT opposite decent 14s and good 13s - not the absurd perfectos you gave. But you are are arguing against the world - everyone who has expressed an opinion thought East was crackers, and not just because of the final pass. This just ain't a good raise.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users