BBO Discussion Forums: How Do You Wield the Axe? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Wield the Axe? Dealing with Interference over Precision 1 Club Opening

#1 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-29, 19:14

My partner and I are playing Oliver Clarke Precision (OCP), a super-precision variant with control and trump asking bids on after any positive response to a 1 opening.

We have artificial space saving step bids over interference including double, redouble, and pass where available. Opponents who know the system have significant latitude to interfere, and preemptive interference is their best option. Currently, we have a Lebensohl-like forcing pass (by opener) in the system over any pre-emptive bid at 3N or higher, which forces to responder to double.
A fast 4N would deny a stopper, a slow 4N promises one. Other bidding on could either be Italian style controls, or a continuation of asking bids with abbreviated response scales.

We are not happy with this. Though it does not occur often, our concern is that sometimes we have a far better score available defending a doubled contract than making a small slam or even in some cases a grand slam. Maybe we are worried about something that comes up too rarely.

We are experimenting with things like turning on the "lebensohl style pass" even on auctions as low as 1 - (p) - 1M - (1N).

We are happy so far using it after 1 - (p) - 1M - (2) (regardless of whether it is conventional or natural), or after any pre-emptive action by intervenor prior to responder's first bid. We define pre-emptive in this situation as any two level bid except clubs, e.g. 1 (2, but not 1 (2)

Do people playing other strong club, or artificial systems see this problem? If so, we are wondering about other answers. Should we be willing to occasionally miss a slam with a beat that is not strong enough to make up for it?

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-30, 22:02

You might look into PDI (Pass Double Inversion). I think Rodwell invented it. We've discussed PDI before but I haven't the thread or link for it.

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 22:03

Yes lose a few best scores to keep opponents nearer honest.
My partner asserted go close games - let them decide to phantom often.
Pass with middling - willing to defend (as your leben-like suggests).
Double wants to slam try - unless partner insists defend (DSIP).
Bid really has offense.

#4 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-November-02, 09:42

I just play semi-penalty doubles in direct seat 2H and higher.

1C--(2H)--X--(P)

???

AKJ
xxxx
KQJ
Kxx

bidding 2S because my partner X was purely takeout was never my cub of tea. I was also tired of doubling with a void and get nervous when partner passes. So just play optionnal double/show cards/semi-p X and you will like it.

You will need to play some neg free bid/switch but its a good thing anyway. The bottom line is that the perfect 4144 takeout doubles hand are less frequent than the murky hands with values but not suitable for take-out X or 2nt.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users